Page 147 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 47971371451461471481491571972476471147 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 67406
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    My baby puppy! She seems to grow every day. This morning it was raining, and she was extra happy on her walk.

We're putting in an electric fence so she can run around in the yard. I spent last weekend with a brush cutter clearing a path for the fence.
    Any chance that other creatures will wander into your yard and mess with her?

Remind me, what is her name? I'm having an early on-set senior moment.

Thread reminder

We're putting in an electric fence so she can run around in the yard. I spent last weekend with a brush cutter clearing a path for the fence.
    All those who approved the invisible fence, you may now rip up your tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    All those who approved the invisible fence, you may now rip up your tickets.
    When are you leaving Atlanta anyway?

Crap, something to gamble on and I didn't even get a chance. That is what I get for not paying closer attention to the LTE...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Crap, something to gamble on and I didn't even get a chance. That is what I get for not paying closer attention to the LTE...
    Fish had his own thread when he was seeking advice.

Is gambling about a DBR poll grounds for infraction points?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    When are you leaving Atlanta anyway?
    I believe I mentioned this in a post to Fish on another thread. Once we get past inspection and appraisal in the next couple of days, we'll discuss and imbibe. In general, I'll be a little nervous until we get through closing (Aug. 14).

The Atlanta DBR Mafia is in REAL trouble if EarlJam decides to go to Alaska.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I just read a book entitled The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout. I found it very interesting reading. According to this book, 4% of us are sociopaths. That's just the US apparently, sociopaths are much rarer in Asian countries.

Do you think you know any sociopaths? You must if it's really 4%. I can't say that I do but one of the points of this book is that they are awfully good at hiding among us. Most are not violent, but they don't have a conscience. I wonder if you can be interested in what people you've never met have to say and be a sociopath. Somehow I doubt the two could go together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I just read a book entitled The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout. I found it very interesting reading. According to this book, 4% of us are sociopaths. That's just the US apparently, sociopaths are much rarer in Asian countries.

Do you think you know any sociopaths? You must if it's really 4%. I can't say that I do but one of the points of this book is that they are awfully good at hiding among us. Most are not violent, but they don't have a conscience. I wonder if you can be interested in what people you've never met have to say and be a sociopath. Somehow I doubt the two could go together.
    I am not a sociopath. I am Johnny Dawkins!

Or, I was Johhny Dawkins for that sweet moment.

I just noticed that billy is over 4000 posts! Have we gained any ground on him here at the LTE?

I think he's just kicking dust in our face and having a laugh.

I just noticed that billy is over 4000 posts! Have we gained any ground on him here at the LTE?

I think he's just kicking dust in our face and having a laugh.
    I'll try and find the old math later today to compare.

As for BB, I think that's about the closest he's ever come to *being* the bully.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    As for BB, I think that's about the closest he's ever come to *being* the bully.
    Wrong. On the ping pong table, I'm this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Any chance that other creatures will wander into your yard and mess with her?

Remind me, what is her name? I'm having an early on-set senior moment.
    Kayla is her name.

There is a small chance that other creatures wander into the yard and mess with her. But we don't plan on leaving her outside unless one of us is home. And most of the other creatures will stay away from her, particularly when she's adult size. She'll be 60 to 80 lbs, and able to hold her own against most of the predators in our woods.

The creatures I'm most concerned about are the sociopath humans. Second to that are the coyotes and the bobcats. I'm confident the coyotes will generally leave her alone (as an adult in our yard). They might try to gang up on her if she was out at night away from the house. The bobcats are rare, and stay away from the house, so not too much worry about them.

All in, I think the risk of other creatures messing with her in the yard is minimal and the risk of her getting in trouble if not contained in the yard is far greater.

Anybody know how to teach a dog about the dangers of cars?

Kayla is her name.

There is a small chance that other creatures wander into the yard and mess with her. But we don't plan on leaving her outside unless one of us is home. And most of the other creatures will stay away from her, particularly when she's adult size. She'll be 60 to 80 lbs, and able to hold her own against most of the predators in our woods.

The creatures I'm most concerned about are the sociopath humans. Second to that are the coyotes and the bobcats. I'm confident the coyotes will generally leave her alone (as an adult in our yard). They might try to gang up on her if she was out at night away from the house. The bobcats are rare, and stay away from the house, so not too much worry about them.

All in, I think the risk of other creatures messing with her in the yard is minimal and the risk of her getting in trouble if not contained in the yard is far greater.

Anybody know how to teach a dog about the dangers of cars?
    You could hit her with one, but that would be counterproductive. The best thing to do is to keep a close watch on her when she is outside and not fenced in. Most dogs, as adults, would be naturally wary. But they have been known to step out anyway. We have a super-smart teacup poodle; only about 2-3 lbs. fully grown. I actually really do worry about birds-of-prey...

"It's not surprising that some people go crazy. What's surprising is that more people don't go crazy." - I can't remember who.

4% seems very high to me. I do know a few sociopaths, and from time to time I am one. My former boss is a sociopath, and a current co-worker is a sociopath. Both are seemingly harmless, but, like Spock, devoid of human emotion. Brilliant, coldly analytical, with tremendous recall and processing horse power. Occasionally, they exhibit unusual behavior. For example, former boss would dress up as batman, in full authentic costume, and walk around town. He also seriously collects comic books, gets two of every issue, one to read and the other to keep in a sealed plastic bag in a climate controlled room.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    You could hit her with one, but that would be counterproductive. The best thing to do is to keep a close watch on her when she is outside and not fenced in. Most dogs, as adults, would be naturally wary. But they have been known to step out anyway. We have a super-smart teacup poodle; only about 2-3 lbs. fully grown. I actually really do worry about birds-of-prey...
    Seriously. The red-tailed hawks in my neighborhood would snatch her/him up if given the chance. They grab up squirrels all the time.

Seriously. The red-tailed hawks in my neighborhood would snatch her/him up if given the chance. They grab up squirrels all the time.
    Do you have video? I hate squirrels, aka rats with fluffy tails. Our squirrel population appears to be down this year - which is good for my tomato count. I don't know what has lowered the count - hawks, rainy spring, more dogs in the neighborhood, or what. I just hope the trend continues.

"It's not surprising that some people go crazy. What's surprising is that more people don't go crazy." - I can't remember who.
    I put in the bit about being interested in people you've never met to cover all DBR posters. I doubt any of us are sociopaths.

I read one definition of crazy as doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Everytime my husband tells me he'll be home early or at a specific time, I believe him. I am certifiably crazy. Yesterday he said he'd be home early. He got home at 9:15pm. I starved my three year old by waiting dinner for him. "Daddy will be home soon." I said that for 3 hours. I wonder what my children think soon means. (My husband is not a sociopath, but he is pathologically late.)

(I finally gave up and cooked frozen pizza for the three year old and yes, as soon as I put it in the oven, husband walked in with take-out. Maybe I should give up on him sooner, maybe that will work.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 07-24-2008 at 03:33 PM.

lte

devildeac,

Nine consecutive posts? What is the record?
    ask EarlJam

lte

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's actually a nod to the vernacular "Jump the Shark." That term refers to a pop-culture phenomenon that passes a certain point of quality and then proceeds to outlive its useful time span. For instance, the Cosby Show jumped the shark once Winnie and Nelson were born.
    The term refers to a Happy Days episode (I think it was Happy Days) where someone did a waterski jump over a shark.
    My adaptation, I guess, wasn't that funny.

And I'm drawing a complete blank on "Would you rather?"s right now.
    Fonzie jumped the shark and the show deteriorated from that time.