Page 1450 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 4509501350140014401448144914501451145214601500155019502450 ... LastLast
Results 28,981 to 29,000 of 67238
    we each use our cars about two days a week, just to buy provisions, go to the dump, etc. Sure saves on car maintenance...haven't even taken the winter tires off Mrs. Womble's car, why bother?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    At DinK's request.

Back in the 80s, the Pi Beta Phi sorority had an annual tradition of engaging in a campus wide water fight towards the end of the spring semester. I believe it was pledges against sisters but I was not a member of this sorority so I don't know for sure. Anyway, they would run the the dorms throwing water at each other. Male students would often join in. It was not a good idea to leave your dorm room if you lived in an all female dorm and did not want to get wet. Aside: I made the mistake of returning from a late night in the computer lab during the Pi Phi water fight once. Male students that had joined in were not particularly good at determining if you were a Pi Phi before they threw water on you. I got hit in the face with a water balloon but, luckily, I noticed the second male student with what looked to be a trash can full of water before he dumped it on my head. He was wearing something that allowed me to identify what dorm he lived in or maybe it was frat letters, anyway, I loudly cried out that I was not a Pi Phi and that if he threw that water on me and ruined a semester's worth of work on my computer science project which was with me in my bag, that I would find him and have him brought before Dean Sue, then I mentioned the name of the dorm/frat and pointed at his shirt. He did not douse me. But I digress.

The morning after the Pi Phi water fight, I got up and somewhat sleepily stumbled down the hall to the bathroom as was my usual morning routine. There were puddles all along the way. There was a particularly deep one just in front of the fire door that I had to open on my way to the bathroom. I was trying not to step in the deepest part of the puddle and awkwardly reached for the door handle. As I was pulling the door open, I slipped in the water and slammed the fire door against my foot, breaking 3 toes in the process. Word got out about my mishap and I got phone calls from representatives of at least 3 other sororities encouraging me to "sue the Pi Phis". I declined. I also got a very sympathetic call from the president of the Pi Phis. I assured her that I had no intention of suing them but, as I was president of my dorm that year (House G), I requested that they come with mops/paper towels/what have you and clean up after themselves pronto which I believe they did. I also told them that it would be better if they limited the area/scope of their water fight in the future. Confine it, don't let it rage all over campus.

I am fairly sure the trash can incident and the broken toes were the same year. I am also fairly sure that the Pi Phis did indeed face some disciplinary action although I did not bring a complaint. It might have been the last Pi Phi water fight but I'm not sure. If it was, even though I did not file a complaint, the fact that an innocent water fight bystander had suffered a reasonably significant injury was common knowledge around campus. I did find the event annoying and although I wouldn't have broken my toes purely to stop the event from happening, I am satisfied that my toes were not broken in vain. I broke the three middle toes, not the big toe. They don't put a cast on you when you break those toes. The doctor at student health told me to cut the front part out of an old pair of tennis shoes and wear those. I did for about 2 months. People used to tap my foot with theirs on a regular basis with the comment, "Nice shoes." I finally decided, enough of that, and started wearing sandals instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    At DinK's request.

Back in the 80s, the Pi Beta Phi sorority had an annual tradition of engaging in a campus wide water fight towards the end of the spring semester. I believe it was pledges against sisters but I was not a member of this sorority so I don't know for sure. Anyway, they would run the the dorms throwing water at each other. Male students would often join in. It was not a good idea to leave your dorm room if you lived in an all female dorm and did not want to get wet. Aside: I made the mistake of returning from a late night in the computer lab during the Pi Phi water fight once. Male students that had joined in were not particularly good at determining if you were a Pi Phi before they threw water on you. I got hit in the face with a water balloon but, luckily, I noticed the second male student with what looked to be a trash can full of water before he dumped it on my head. He was wearing something that allowed me to identify what dorm he lived in or maybe it was frat letters, anyway, I loudly cried out that I was not a Pi Phi and that if he threw that water on me and ruined a semester's worth of work on my computer science project which was with me in my bag, that I would find him and have him brought before Dean Sue, then I mentioned the name of the dorm/frat and pointed at his shirt. He did not douse me. But I digress.

The morning after the Pi Phi water fight, I got up and somewhat sleepily stumbled down the hall to the bathroom as was my usual morning routine. There were puddles all along the way. There was a particularly deep one just in front of the fire door that I had to open on my way to the bathroom. I was trying not to step in the deepest part of the puddle and awkwardly reached for the door handle. As I was pulling the door open, I slipped in the water and slammed the fire door against my foot, breaking 3 toes in the process. Word got out about my mishap and I got phone calls from representatives of at least 3 other sororities encouraging me to "sue the Pi Phis". I declined. I also got a very sympathetic call from the president of the Pi Phis. I assured her that I had no intention of suing them but, as I was president of my dorm that year (House G), I requested that they come with mops/paper towels/what have you and clean up after themselves pronto which I believe they did. I also told them that it would be better if they limited the area/scope of their water fight in the future. Confine it, don't let it rage all over campus.

I am fairly sure the trash can incident and the broken toes were the same year. I am also fairly sure that the Pi Phis did indeed face some disciplinary action although I did not bring a complaint. It might have been the last Pi Phi water fight but I'm not sure. If it was, even though I did not file a complaint, the fact that an innocent water fight bystander had suffered a reasonably significant injury was common knowledge around campus. I did find the event annoying and although I wouldn't have broken my toes purely to stop the event from happening, I am satisfied that my toes were not broken in vain. I broke the three middle toes, not the big toe. They don't put a cast on you when you break those toes. The doctor at student health told me to cut the front part out of an old pair of tennis shoes and wear those. I did for about 2 months. People used to tap my foot with theirs on a regular basis with the comment, "Nice shoes." I finally decided, enough of that, and started wearing sandals instead.
    Never knew of the water fights - must have been the Central Campus living.

Glad something good came out of the broken toes but sorry for your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Never knew of the water fights - must have been the Central Campus living.

Glad something good came out of the broken toes but sorry for your pain.
    And, you know, I got a decent story out of the event too. My toes are fine now, no lasting damage.

A couple guys on my hall would launch water balloons from our dorm. I was in House H at the time.

I confess to water balloons on the train - I was in elementary school at the time. And yes, it was being the stereotypical ugly American. It didn't last long and some involved were probably not American. I guess it offset the brief spell of playing with matches - you could make two matchsticks stick together if you put the lit one against an unlit one. Fortunately, the cars were pretty much empty of other people - and we never actually hit someone not in our group with the water balloons.

Regrets of my childhood.

Who doesn't love the occasional water balloon? Just not when I'm walking home from several hours in the computer lab trying to finish a project.

I finished Season 3 of Broadchurch last night. I'm looking for another David Tennant fix.

I could rewatch Goblet of Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    We will likely get a 3 degree reprieve from yesterday's highs and back to more normal temps for the weekend. It isn't a dry heat for certain. But certainly dryer here than in Houston.
    106F so a degree warmer than yesterday. Sigh.

I finished Season 3 of Broadchurch last night. I'm looking for another David Tennant fix.
    Jessica Jones season one is pretty excellent.

I still haven't gotten Disney + or watched Hamilton.

Haven't seen either. And not making much progress with Poldark.

I still haven't gotten Disney + or watched Hamilton.
    I only made it through 20 minutes of Hamilton. Now Lewis Hamilton, I could watch drive for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I only made it through 20 minutes of Hamilton. Now Lewis Hamilton, I could watch drive for hours.
    You gotta at least make it to the king (4th song IIRC). I was skeptical, but — it really is fantastic.

Saw the play live last winter and watched the Disney+ version over the weekend.

Enjoyed both experiences for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You gotta at least make it to the king (4th song IIRC). I was skeptical, but — it really is fantastic.
    Oh, amen, brother. Talk about a show stealer. I saw it two days before the official opening on Broadway and was blown out of my seat. Jonathan Groff = mega wattage.
    Geez o'Pete I miss going to shows!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Okay, I’ll give it another shot.

Another day in paradise it appears...

It's been quite hot here in GA too, although today's high temp forecast is down to only 90. I've been trying to spend some time in the sun each day, but it sometimes becomes an exercise in endurance.