Page 1425 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 4259251325137514151423142414251426142714351475152519252425 ... LastLast
Results 28,481 to 28,500 of 67371
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I look absolutely terrible
    None of us believe that. You must have stolen sagegrouse's "H."

I have probably told this story before, but I mailed Coach K a copy of my play about a couple who find each other through an online dating site and when they meet in person it's love at first sight until they find out she went to Duke and he went to Carolina. He still wants to give it a try but she kills the attraction by telling him, "I think Coach K is sexy." A couple of weeks after I mailed it I got an email from him saying thank you and telling me that he loved the play, especially the ending.
    Is this any different than reposting a review of a beer every time your drink it?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Is this any different than reposting a review of a beer every time your drink it?
    You must spread comments around, yada, yada, yada.

Also - yes, it's different because my story is a good one!

I did send it to him in the off season of a non-Olympic year and it's a 10 minute play so, he could have read it during a coffee break.
    Still pretty darn cool, he must receive THOUSANDS of requests over the course of a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'm somewhere in between. I'm willing to lose '1' for YmoBeThere's criteria. A few of my 47 states would fall by the wayside if I applied Wilson's criteria, like OK, KS, NH, and AL. I've driven through all those states or been staying in an adjacent state and popped over for a day visit to do some sort of meaningful activity, had a meal, etc but haven't spent the night. I've driven end-to-end Kansas on I-70 twice now so ain't nobody telling me I haven't been to Kansas! For New Hampshire, I've stayed in VT, Maine, RI, etc and popped over the border to NH so spent lots of time there but not an official overnight...

I think my disqualifie-rs are "an airport doesn't count" and "if you arrived at four corners from CO, stood on the four corners, then went back to CO, you don't get AZ, NM, and Utah!"
    If all you saw was I-70, you haven't been to Kansas!

Sincerely,
    DukieInKansas

I’d probably break an arm trying to do a cartwheel.
    I'm more afraid of breaking my neck. I couldn't do one as a kid so I really doubt I can do one now.

I find that far more preferable than page upon page arguing about how many minutes each player will get, or a host of other threads I don't visit. But to each their own.

It's a big community, there are lots of interests. It is nice that we each have the ability to start, join, or ignore threads as we feel.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If all you saw was I-70, you haven't been to Kansas!

Sincerely,
    DukieInKansas
    Hah, I know, I know. I was thinking I might get a response from you! With respect to the conversation, I differentiate between "been to" and "BEEN to", you know? Can I say that I have reasonably been to Kansas as part of a 50 state quest? I think so. Can I say I have gone deep and explored Kansas? No.

I did go out of my way both times to get off the highway and find some good places to eat though! I ate my fill of sliders at Cozies in Saline on one of the trips, IIRC.

Hah, I know, I know. I was thinking I might get a response from you! With respect to the conversation, I differentiate between "been to" and "BEEN to", you know? Can I say that I have reasonably been to Kansas as part of a 50 state quest? I think so. Can I say I have gone deep and explored Kansas? No.

I did go out of my way both times to get off the highway and find some good places to eat though! I ate my fill of sliders at Cozies in Saline on one of the trips, IIRC.
    Lots of fun things to see if you get off I-70 - Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City (sometimes it drops a place or two), Garden of Eden in Lucas, Rock City, Cathedral of the Plains in Victoria, amazing Tiffany stained glass windows in 1st Presbyterian Church of Topeka, the hot and cold water towers in Canton, world's largest prairie dog in Oakley - just to name a few.

Lots of fun things to see if you get off I-70 - Largest Ball of Twine in Cawker City (sometimes it drops a place or two), Garden of Eden in Lucas, Rock City, Cathedral of the Plains in Victoria, amazing Tiffany stained glass windows in 1st Presbyterian Church of Topeka, the hot and cold water towers in Canton, world's largest prairie dog in Oakley - just to name a few.
    What is the "hot and cold water towers" in Canton?

I'm packing the car now!

I ended up crossing off Kansas by accident last summer. My wife and I had planned on spending our anniversary in Rocky Mountain National Park, but we woke up that day and the afternoon/overnight forecast in the park was very poor, so we did a great morning in the park before things turned ugly, then packed up and headed east. We spent the night in a bed & breakfast in Hays and had a great dinner at a local brewery, then stopped off at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, a small pocket that preserves the prairie that attracted so many settlers to the area in the first place. It was a sort of weird pivot from what we had expected for our 6th anniversary, but we have really fond memories of our Kansas time, and I won't be sad the next time I pass through (on the way back to Colorado).
    DSC_0036 3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I ended up crossing off Kansas by accident last summer. My wife and I had planned on spending our anniversary in Rocky Mountain National Park, but we woke up that day and the afternoon/overnight forecast in the park was very poor, so we did a great morning in the park before things turned ugly, then packed up and headed east. We spent the night in a bed & breakfast in Hays and had a great dinner at a local brewery, then stopped off at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve, a small pocket that preserves the prairie that attracted so many settlers to the area in the first place. It was a sort of weird pivot from what we had expected for our 6th anniversary, but we have really fond memories of our Kansas time, and I won't be sad the next time I pass through (on the way back to Colorado).
    DSC_0036 3.jpg
    I haven't been to this particular one but prairie ecosystems are such under-visited and underappreciated places relative to a lot of the mountains, forests, shores, etc. We also have so little of our original great plains and prairies in tact that it's fun to see what the ol' American gal used to look like before the damn Europeans overran the place*!

I'm packing the car now!
    If you are lucky, the metal fencing around it has blown down and you can look backwards as you head west and spy it from I-70.

One year, I spent Thanksgiving in Arkansas City, Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    DSC_0036 3.jpg
    By BiL's family is from around there. Nearby Cottonwood Falls is a nice little town with a beautiful court house. His hometown of Pilsen is also the hometown of Father Emil Kapaun. He is being considered for canonization. He was the 9th chaplain to receive the Medal of Honor. They have an impressive little museum by the church - his SiL gives a great tour and talk. She went to the Medal of Honor ceremony, along with some of Father Kapaun's fellow POWs, in 2013.

One year, I spent Thanksgiving in Arkansas City, Kansas.
    I spent a night in Texarkana, TX.

His hometown of Pilsen is also the hometown of Father Emil Kapaun. He is being considered for canonization. He was the 9th chaplain to receive the Medal of Honor. They have an impressive little museum by the church - his SiL gives a great tour and talk. She went to the Medal of Honor ceremony, along with some of Father Kapaun's fellow POWs, in 2013.
    Interesting story for Capt./Father Kapaun. I am humbled by his sacrifice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Kapaun

I spent a night in Texarkana, TX.
    I've been to Indiana, Pennsylvania, spent lots of summers in Colorado City, Colorado and have driven through Alaska, New Mexico many times.