Page 1423 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 4239231323137314131421142214231424142514331473152319232423 ... LastLast
Results 28,441 to 28,460 of 67238
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Los Angeles to Phoenix, so not very exciting...
    It would be exciting for me. I've only ever been to LA once and Phoenix never.

It had gotten easier for me to count the states I have never visited, Arizona is one of them.

Just visited a burger stand recently touted as “the best burger in ATL” with my brother. It was very conducive to eating carryaway sacks on our tailgates in the parking lot with his kiddos while being safely distant. Burger lived up to the hype. A lovely outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    It had gotten easier for me to count the states I have never visited, Arizona is one of them.
    I crossed off AZ with a Grand Canyon visit a couple of years ago. To me, it lived up to everything everyone’s ever said about it.

Complete list of states (in the US) that Bostondevil has yet to visit: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah.

My requirements for checking a state off, I have to have spent a night in the state. I didn't count Colorado for that reason for a long time - changing planes in the Denver airport does not count. But, it's on the list now. Crested Butte is beautiful, so are the Spanish Peaks.

I’m missing ND, WI, and HI. The last is criminal because I actually have family there!

Complete list of states (in the US) that Bostondevil has yet to visit: Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah.

My requirements for checking a state off, I have to have spent a night in the state. I didn't count Colorado for that reason for a long time - changing planes in the Denver airport does not count. But, it's on the list now. Crested Butte is beautiful, so are the Spanish Peaks.
    Same...for me it’s 1) spend a night there, 2) eat a meal there, AND 3) engage in at least one locally meaningful activity there.

I’m down to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Alaska. I was supposed to be crossing off those first three this summer with a trip to Colorado and back, but canceled on account of the ‘rona and am now hoping to hit that trip next summer. That would keep me on target for my overall goal of making all 50 by age 40, which would be capped off with a trip to Alaska in summer ‘22, just before I turn 40 in August of that year.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Same...for me it’s 1) spend a night there, 2) eat a meal there, AND 3) engage in at least one locally meaningful activity there.

I’m down to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Alaska. I was supposed to be crossing off those first three this summer with a trip to Colorado and back, but canceled on account of the ‘rona and am now hoping to hit that trip next summer. That would keep me on target for my overall goal of making all 50 by age 40, which would be capped off with a trip to Alaska in summer ‘22, just before I turn 40 in August of that year.
    I'm rooting for you!

My self-imposed Massachusetts 5k Challenge is suffering. I'm trying to run a 5k in every city and town in Massachusetts - officially. There are 351, I have run in 48. I had already registered for the 49th and 50th and had hoped to get to 60 by 1/1/2021. That's not happening.

But, I have decided that if I take "mini-vacations" where I drive to a small town that doesn't have an official 5k and take a run, I get to count it during the pandemic. Depending on how long it takes for 5ks to be a thing again, I may expand beyond towns that don't have official races.

But, I have decided that if I take "mini-vacations" where I drive to a small town that doesn't have an official 5k and take a run, I get to count it during the pandemic. Depending on how long it takes for 5ks to be a thing again, I may expand beyond towns that don't have official races.
    In the meantime, have you watched ‘West Side Story’ lately? 😉

Just visited a burger stand recently touted as “the best burger in ATL” with my brother. . . . Burger lived up to the hype.
    Clearly, not The Varsity.

Sounds like a version of what a friend of mine is doing... 100 miles in all fifty states.

He's a certified maniac though. He ran the Iditarod on foot. Pulling his supplies on a sled. In February. And won.

Check him out. Surprisingly down to earth fellow, great to grab a beer with.

https://www.peteripmaster.com/

My definition is a little looser, if I drive across the entire state I count that. Alaska is the only state I have left, but no plans to go there any time soon currently.

My self-imposed Massachusetts 5k Challenge is suffering. I'm trying to run a 5k in every city and town in Massachusetts - officially. There are 351, I have run in 48. I had already registered for the 49th and 50th and had hoped to get to 60 by 1/1/2021. That's not happening.
    It's been a dozen years since I last ran a 5k. I've always had knee issues since high school but that is a weak excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My definition is a little looser, if I drive across the entire state I count that. Alaska is the only state I have left, but no plans to go there any time soon currently.
    I'm somewhere in between. I'm willing to lose '1' for YmoBeThere's criteria. A few of my 47 states would fall by the wayside if I applied Wilson's criteria, like OK, KS, NH, and AL. I've driven through all those states or been staying in an adjacent state and popped over for a day visit to do some sort of meaningful activity, had a meal, etc but haven't spent the night. I've driven end-to-end Kansas on I-70 twice now so ain't nobody telling me I haven't been to Kansas! For New Hampshire, I've stayed in VT, Maine, RI, etc and popped over the border to NH so spent lots of time there but not an official overnight...

I think my disqualifie-rs are "an airport doesn't count" and "if you arrived at four corners from CO, stood on the four corners, then went back to CO, you don't get AZ, NM, and Utah!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sounds like a version of what a friend of mine is doing... 100 miles in all fifty states.

He's a certified maniac though. He ran the Iditarod on foot. Pulling his supplies on a sled. In February. And won.

Check him out. Surprisingly down to earth fellow, great to grab a beer with.

https://www.peteripmaster.com/
    That's not his real name, right? Ripmaster? That's perfect for his line of work...

...that or he was a very flatulent frat brother in college.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That's not his real name, right? Ripmaster? That's perfect for his line of work...

...that or he was a very flatulent frat brother in college.
    It truly is his name. Some folks are born lucky.

I once in my youth took a restaurant reservation for a "Tim Victory."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    In the meantime, have you watched ‘West Side Story’ lately? 😉
    I only watch "West Side Story" with large crowds so I can annoy the a large group of people when I laugh while Tony is dying. (Actually, I only did that once and I didn't realize I was going to be seized by an uncontrollable fit of the giggles.. But man, oh man, do I find Tony's death scene hilariously ridiculous. I have absented myself from watching it again, because, even though I can't stand it, I don't really want to ruin it for everybody else.)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Clearly, not The Varsity.
    Definitely not. I do like the Varsity, but chili dogs only for me there.