Page 1400 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 4009001300135013901398139914001401140214101450150019002400 ... LastLast
Results 27,981 to 28,000 of 67238
    Add me to the list of Kitchen Aid fans. My wife is an avid bread baker (has been since well before the lockdown), so our dough hooks have quite a lot of miles on them. We've also had a lot of fun with the pasta maker attachment, which I refer to as the "grownup Play Doh Fun Factory," and then my personal favorite is the meat grinder attachment, with which I've gotten pretty darned good at house-ground burgers.
    They are indeed expensive, but as people have noted, there are frequent deals if you pay attention, and it's a very versatile and durable machine.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Add me to the list of Kitchen Aid fans. My wife is an avid bread baker (has been since well before the lockdown), so our dough hooks have quite a lot of miles on them. We've also had a lot of fun with the pasta maker attachment, which I refer to as the "grownup Play Doh Fun Factory," and then my personal favorite is the meat grinder attachment, with which I've gotten pretty darned good at house-ground burgers.
    They are indeed expensive, but as people have noted, there are frequent deals if you pay attention, and it's a very versatile and durable machine.
    Do you find the meat grinder useful from a cost perspective, or a “control what’s in the blend” perspective? I don’t have one but could certainly talk myself into one.

Fresh bread, fresh pasta, fresh pretzels and bialy are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you find the meat grinder useful from a cost perspective, or a “control what’s in the blend” perspective? I don’t have one but could certainly talk myself into one.

Fresh bread, fresh pasta, fresh pretzels and bialy are hard to beat.
    It's definitely more expensive than your typical grocery store ground beef, but my goodness, it's so much more flavorful. Last week, I used a mix of about 2/3 chuck steak and 1/3 sirloin, and I always throw in a couple of strips of bacon. My cost came out to like $3.75 per half-pound burger, with way better flavor than just a standard store package. I haven't bought pre-ground beef in years.
    I also love it for grinding pork or poultry to make Italian sausage/similar for use in pasta sauces, lasagna, etc. There is also an accessory for sausage stuffing so you can make your own in casings. I don't have that particular toy (yet) but have definitely been happy with my grinder results.

It's definitely more expensive than your typical grocery store ground beef, but my goodness, it's so much more flavorful. Last week, I used a mix of about 2/3 chuck steak and 1/3 sirloin, and I always throw in a couple of strips of bacon. My cost came out to like $3.75 per half-pound burger, with way better flavor than just a standard store package. I haven't bought pre-ground beef in years.
    I also love it for grinding pork or poultry to make Italian sausage/similar for use in pasta sauces, lasagna, etc. There is also an accessory for sausage stuffing so you can make your own in casings. I don't have that particular toy (yet) but have definitely been happy with my grinder results.
    You sold me, just ordered the grinder and it has a sausage attachment included. I figure with the money I’ve saved the last two months eating leftovers instead of going out . . . .

Ordered some casings too. Will let you know how (if) that works.

You sold me, just ordered the grinder and it has a sausage attachment included. I figure with the money I’ve saved the last two months eating leftovers instead of going out . . . .

Ordered some casings too. Will let you know how (if) that works.
    Great! There are a couple of little tricks to keep in mind before you start throwing flesh in there...lots of good reading material online, but I'm also happy to advise if you like.
    Have fun!

Great! There are a couple of little tricks to keep in mind before you start throwing flesh in there...lots of good reading material online, but I'm also happy to advise if you like.
    Have fun!
    Thanks, been checking videos and sites since then.

For sausage, sounds like:

1. Keep everything cold at every step, and double grind.
    2. Don’t overfill, leave room to get air out and to tie off.
    3. Prick casing to let air out when cooking.

For ground meat, sounds like cold, patient, and double grind is the coin of the realm.

Any other words of experience? Looking forward to trying it maybe this weekend!

Thanks, been checking videos and sites since then.

For sausage, sounds like:

1. Keep everything cold at every step, and double grind.
    2. Don’t overfill, leave room to get air out and to tie off.
    3. Prick casing to let air out when cooking.

For ground meat, sounds like cold, patient, and double grind is the coin of the realm.

Any other words of experience? Looking forward to trying it maybe this weekend!
    I actually don't double grind. I usually use the smaller-gauge extrusion dial, cut into ~1-inch cubes, stick them in the freezer for 20-30 min, and then boom, you're ready.

I actually don't double grind. I usually use the smaller-gauge extrusion dial, cut into ~1-inch cubes, stick them in the freezer for 20-30 min, and then boom, you're ready.
    Thanks! This is a new area of food prep for me so I look forward to experimenting.

Asheville = Larpville

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I'm thinking I need a stand-up mixer but I will settle for a new washing machine. I've finally convinced the hubby. Later in the summer we're getting a new one.

My kitchen, I don't really know where I would put a stand-up mixer. I believe I have mentioned before that I hate the "open concept" design most rennovation shows go for on HGTV, but, my kitchen needs seriously help. I kinda want to take down a wall, a small one, that separates the kitchen from the "mud room".

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My kitchen, I don't really know where I would put a stand-up mixer. I believe I have mentioned before that I hate the "open concept" design most rennovation shows go for on HGTV, but, my kitchen needs seriously help. I kinda want to take down a wall, a small one, that separates the kitchen from the "mud room".
    My Pro-600 is huge and heavy! I knew it would not be one of those appliances to take in and out of a cabinet. When I moved, I made sure there was enough clearance b/tw my counter and the cabinets above. It JUST cleared it. I keep it pushed into the corner on a placemat for easy pulling-out, and I keep a stylish dishtowel draped over it to keep the dust out. And I can hide my rolling pins behind it!

...I hate the "open concept" design most rennovation shows go for on HGTV, but, my kitchen needs seriously help...
    Ok now we're talking. I consider myself the world's greatest expert on most things but kitchens are my particular glory. First thing you have to do is rob a bank and then let's get going on designs!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The downside to pasta is all the heat and water to cook it. Though I’ve been reading lately that I’m doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ok now we're talking. I consider myself the world's greatest expert on most things but kitchens are my particular glory. First thing you have to do is rob a bank and then let's get going on designs!
    Or wait for my husband's company to go public. He's part owner of this and when pressed will admit that he is a "grandfather" of the technology. (He had some of the early ideas and trained many of the people still working on it.) https://www.hyperfine.io/

My 2010 Corolla is scheduled to hit 100k miles today. Hoping for another 400k

Wow, pretty cool!

So robbing a bank is entirely off the table? I was looking forward to being a moll as in "gangster's female companion." I have a nice navy blue beret.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    My 2010 Corolla is scheduled to hit 100k miles today. Hoping for another 400k
    Pshaw. My 2015 diesel Benz has 138k and climbing. But, I am still very proud of you.

Wow, pretty cool!

So robbing a bank is entirely off the table? I was looking forward to being a moll as in "gangster's female companion." I have a nice navy blue beret.
    Yes, probably. Unless we can figure out a way to set up a private equity firm and drive one into bankruptcy while we make off with all the assets.

Pshaw. My 2015 diesel Benz has 138k and climbing. But, I am still very proud of you.
    Pshaw. My 2003 Honda Pilot and 2001 Acura Integra have a combined 490K. The Pilot's ahead at 270K.

-jk