Page 1399 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 3998991299134913891397139813991400140114091449149918992399 ... LastLast
Results 27,961 to 27,980 of 67390
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I got new mixing bowls for Christmas in 2018 from my sons. It is what I asked for. I have told them that they are old enough now to buy present for people themselves and that since I hope they will someday have families, they should learn to give gifts. Consequently, I tell them something that I want for Christmas then suggest times for them to go shopping together. It's a lot of work teaching my sons to be good gift givers. I'd give myself a B- on the task so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I got new mixing bowls for Christmas in 2018 from my sons. It is what I asked for. I have told them that they are old enough now to buy present for people themselves and that since I hope they will someday have families, they should learn to give gifts. Consequently, I tell them something that I want for Christmas then suggest times for them to go shopping together. It's a lot of work teaching my sons to be good gift givers. I'd give myself a B- on the task so far.
    Well, you do get some direct feedback on whether your teaching worked.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, you do get some direct feedback on whether your teaching worked.
    I'll give myself an A when I no longer have to tell them what to get, warn them multiple times that they will need to go shopping, then arrange a time for them all to go do the shopping.

So, after talking to him outside for 20 minutes my neighbor noted that he likely had the coronavirus in March.

Why does he think that? I felt kinda sick and unusually tired for about a week in January. I sincerely doubt it was Covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Why does he think that? I felt kinda sick and unusually tired for about a week in January. I sincerely doubt it was Covid 19.
    Because he had a bad respiratory infection, tested negative for the flu, was sick for a couple weeks and at the time tests for Covid-19 were super limited. He's been recovered for nearly two months, so I guess I shoudn't worry. He put his house up for sale today, which is why he and I were talking outside. No masks about 10 feet apart, I was uphill of him.

I recommended he get an antibody test, but he didn't seem convinced. He has a lot of family in town and they are often comingling in vehicles, etc.

Maybe I should get a bread maker?
    Personally, I’d suggest getting a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer instead. Much more versatile.

Because he had a bad respiratory infection, tested negative for the flu, was sick for a couple weeks and at the time tests for Covid-19 were super limited. He's been recovered for nearly two months, so I guess I shoudn't worry. He put his house up for sale today, which is why he and I were talking outside. No masks about 10 feet apart, I was uphill of him.

I recommended he get an antibody test, but he didn't seem convinced. He has a lot of family in town and they are often comingling in vehicles, etc.
    At this point in time, I think the reliability of the antibody test is bad. That’s what happens when you fast track all tests and waive FDA guidelines for pesky little things like false positives and false negatives. Hopefully it’s going to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Personally, I’d suggest getting a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer instead. Much more versatile.
    Dang, those things aren't cheap.

My excitement for the day

I’ve been working on a paper for several months and am finally ready to submit. Today I wrote a letter to the editor in chief of the top journal in my field; I wanted to gauge their interest in my paper before I submitted. I was thinking it would take a few days to hear back. Imagine my surprise when I heard back from him within a few hours. He thinks my paper sounds highly relevant, and he asked me to send him the manuscript number when it’s submitted so he can herd it through the review process. I may or may not have danced a jig in my living room.

This particular paper rebuts two different studies, both in VERY high profile journals. A colleague has suggested that I will need an armed guard if this paper is accepted.

True. I bought mine in November at Kohl’s, on sale. I had an additional 30% off, plus I got Kohl’s cash. I got the artisan model, and I believe it was around $130 with all the discounts (not including the Kohl’s Cash). It was an incredible deal. I was able to use the Kohl’s Cash to buy my dad’s Christmas present.

I have a pasta roller attachment for the mixer, and also a pasta cutter. Makes it super easy to make homemade lasagna.

No. But they do anything. And for bread, instead of a little square thingy you can make big loaves (or many small loaves) and freeze what you don’t plant to use immediately.

(I’ll second the pasta rolling/cutting attachment although I haven’t done it in awhile).

They are not, but I totally scored on mine a number of years back when Amazon was having daily deals around the holidays. Somehow, I managed a Pro-600 (regularly $500) for about $185. I later bought the ice cream maker attachment. Pretty cool for making small batches.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They are not, but I totally scored on mine a number of years back when Amazon was having daily deals around the holidays. Somehow, I managed a Pro-600 (regularly $500) for about $185. I later bought the ice cream maker attachment. Pretty cool for making small batches.
    I haven’t had good luck with the ice cream maker. Do you have any suggestions?

I have had good luck with it - froze the bowl longer than they suggested and didn't use a cooked custard recipe. The ice cream stayed soft but not running.

Make sure the bowl has been in the coldest part of the freezer for several days and keep it in there until right before you need it. And get the custard or whatever you're using as cold as possible. It will be a bit softer than some, but it can get really thick around the edges. You should stop and scrape. And just put it in the freezer to firm up more. I am hoping to try out some Ben and Jerry's recipes this summer. It makes great sorbet!

I’ve been working on a paper for several months and am finally ready to submit. Today I wrote a letter to the editor in chief of the top journal in my field; I wanted to gauge their interest in my paper before I submitted. I was thinking it would take a few days to hear back. Imagine my surprise when I heard back from him within a few hours. He thinks my paper sounds highly relevant, and he asked me to send him the manuscript number when it’s submitted so he can herd it through the review process. I may or may not have danced a jig in my living room.

This particular paper rebuts two different studies, both in VERY high profile journals. A colleague has suggested that I will need an armed guard if this paper is accepted.
    Hey good for you ArkieDukie!
    You sound like a real smarty-pants!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Hmmm, so it has a lot of uses...

I got my kitchenaid mixer the really old fashioned way - I inherited it. It was the one my mom used back when I was a kid, and is still going strong. 45-50 years old, one step down from a Hobart.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I got my kitchenaid mixer the really old fashioned way - I inherited it. It was the one my mom used back when I was a kid, and is still going strong. 45-50 years old, one step down from a Hobart.

-jk
    So, you've got an old school appliance.