Page 1379 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 379879127913291369137713781379138013811389 ... LastLast
Results 27,561 to 27,580 of 28557

My excitement for the day

Iíve been working on a paper for several months and am finally ready to submit. Today I wrote a letter to the editor in chief of the top journal in my field; I wanted to gauge their interest in my paper before I submitted. I was thinking it would take a few days to hear back. Imagine my surprise when I heard back from him within a few hours. He thinks my paper sounds highly relevant, and he asked me to send him the manuscript number when itís submitted so he can herd it through the review process. I may or may not have danced a jig in my living room.

This particular paper rebuts two different studies, both in VERY high profile journals. A colleague has suggested that I will need an armed guard if this paper is accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Dang, those things aren't cheap.
    True. I bought mine in November at Kohlís, on sale. I had an additional 30% off, plus I got Kohlís cash. I got the artisan model, and I believe it was around $130 with all the discounts (not including the Kohlís Cash). It was an incredible deal. I was able to use the Kohlís Cash to buy my dadís Christmas present.

I have a pasta roller attachment for the mixer, and also a pasta cutter. Makes it super easy to make homemade lasagna.

No. But they do anything. And for bread, instead of a little square thingy you can make big loaves (or many small loaves) and freeze what you don’t plant to use immediately.

(I’ll second the pasta rolling/cutting attachment although I haven’t done it in awhile).

They are not, but I totally scored on mine a number of years back when Amazon was having daily deals around the holidays. Somehow, I managed a Pro-600 (regularly $500) for about $185. I later bought the ice cream maker attachment. Pretty cool for making small batches.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    They are not, but I totally scored on mine a number of years back when Amazon was having daily deals around the holidays. Somehow, I managed a Pro-600 (regularly $500) for about $185. I later bought the ice cream maker attachment. Pretty cool for making small batches.
    I havenít had good luck with the ice cream maker. Do you have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I have had good luck with it - froze the bowl longer than they suggested and didn't use a cooked custard recipe. The ice cream stayed soft but not running.

Make sure the bowl has been in the coldest part of the freezer for several days and keep it in there until right before you need it. And get the custard or whatever you're using as cold as possible. It will be a bit softer than some, but it can get really thick around the edges. You should stop and scrape. And just put it in the freezer to firm up more. I am hoping to try out some Ben and Jerry's recipes this summer. It makes great sorbet!

Iíve been working on a paper for several months and am finally ready to submit. Today I wrote a letter to the editor in chief of the top journal in my field; I wanted to gauge their interest in my paper before I submitted. I was thinking it would take a few days to hear back. Imagine my surprise when I heard back from him within a few hours. He thinks my paper sounds highly relevant, and he asked me to send him the manuscript number when itís submitted so he can herd it through the review process. I may or may not have danced a jig in my living room.

This particular paper rebuts two different studies, both in VERY high profile journals. A colleague has suggested that I will need an armed guard if this paper is accepted.
    Hey good for you ArkieDukie!
    You sound like a real smarty-pants!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Hmmm, so it has a lot of uses...

I got my kitchenaid mixer the really old fashioned way - I inherited it. It was the one my mom used back when I was a kid, and is still going strong. 45-50 years old, one step down from a Hobart.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I got my kitchenaid mixer the really old fashioned way - I inherited it. It was the one my mom used back when I was a kid, and is still going strong. 45-50 years old, one step down from a Hobart.

-jk
    So, you've got an old school appliance.

Add me to the list of Kitchen Aid fans. My wife is an avid bread baker (has been since well before the lockdown), so our dough hooks have quite a lot of miles on them. We've also had a lot of fun with the pasta maker attachment, which I refer to as the "grownup Play Doh Fun Factory," and then my personal favorite is the meat grinder attachment, with which I've gotten pretty darned good at house-ground burgers.
    They are indeed expensive, but as people have noted, there are frequent deals if you pay attention, and it's a very versatile and durable machine.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Add me to the list of Kitchen Aid fans. My wife is an avid bread baker (has been since well before the lockdown), so our dough hooks have quite a lot of miles on them. We've also had a lot of fun with the pasta maker attachment, which I refer to as the "grownup Play Doh Fun Factory," and then my personal favorite is the meat grinder attachment, with which I've gotten pretty darned good at house-ground burgers.
    They are indeed expensive, but as people have noted, there are frequent deals if you pay attention, and it's a very versatile and durable machine.
    Do you find the meat grinder useful from a cost perspective, or a “control what’s in the blend” perspective? I don’t have one but could certainly talk myself into one.

Fresh bread, fresh pasta, fresh pretzels and bialy are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do you find the meat grinder useful from a cost perspective, or a ďcontrol whatís in the blendĒ perspective? I donít have one but could certainly talk myself into one.

Fresh bread, fresh pasta, fresh pretzels and bialy are hard to beat.
    It's definitely more expensive than your typical grocery store ground beef, but my goodness, it's so much more flavorful. Last week, I used a mix of about 2/3 chuck steak and 1/3 sirloin, and I always throw in a couple of strips of bacon. My cost came out to like $3.75 per half-pound burger, with way better flavor than just a standard store package. I haven't bought pre-ground beef in years.
    I also love it for grinding pork or poultry to make Italian sausage/similar for use in pasta sauces, lasagna, etc. There is also an accessory for sausage stuffing so you can make your own in casings. I don't have that particular toy (yet) but have definitely been happy with my grinder results.

It's definitely more expensive than your typical grocery store ground beef, but my goodness, it's so much more flavorful. Last week, I used a mix of about 2/3 chuck steak and 1/3 sirloin, and I always throw in a couple of strips of bacon. My cost came out to like $3.75 per half-pound burger, with way better flavor than just a standard store package. I haven't bought pre-ground beef in years.
    I also love it for grinding pork or poultry to make Italian sausage/similar for use in pasta sauces, lasagna, etc. There is also an accessory for sausage stuffing so you can make your own in casings. I don't have that particular toy (yet) but have definitely been happy with my grinder results.
    You sold me, just ordered the grinder and it has a sausage attachment included. I figure with the money Iíve saved the last two months eating leftovers instead of going out . . . .

Ordered some casings too. Will let you know how (if) that works.

You sold me, just ordered the grinder and it has a sausage attachment included. I figure with the money Iíve saved the last two months eating leftovers instead of going out . . . .

Ordered some casings too. Will let you know how (if) that works.
    Great! There are a couple of little tricks to keep in mind before you start throwing flesh in there...lots of good reading material online, but I'm also happy to advise if you like.
    Have fun!

Great! There are a couple of little tricks to keep in mind before you start throwing flesh in there...lots of good reading material online, but I'm also happy to advise if you like.
    Have fun!
    Thanks, been checking videos and sites since then.

For sausage, sounds like:

1. Keep everything cold at every step, and double grind.
    2. Donít overfill, leave room to get air out and to tie off.
    3. Prick casing to let air out when cooking.

For ground meat, sounds like cold, patient, and double grind is the coin of the realm.

Any other words of experience? Looking forward to trying it maybe this weekend!

Thanks, been checking videos and sites since then.

For sausage, sounds like:

1. Keep everything cold at every step, and double grind.
    2. Donít overfill, leave room to get air out and to tie off.
    3. Prick casing to let air out when cooking.

For ground meat, sounds like cold, patient, and double grind is the coin of the realm.

Any other words of experience? Looking forward to trying it maybe this weekend!
    I actually don't double grind. I usually use the smaller-gauge extrusion dial, cut into ~1-inch cubes, stick them in the freezer for 20-30 min, and then boom, you're ready.

I actually don't double grind. I usually use the smaller-gauge extrusion dial, cut into ~1-inch cubes, stick them in the freezer for 20-30 min, and then boom, you're ready.
    Thanks! This is a new area of food prep for me so I look forward to experimenting.

Asheville = Larpville
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
    -Thomas Jefferson