Page 137 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 37871271351361371381391471872376371137 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Just so happens a friend of my daughter hates prime numbers. Could this be a case of opposites attract?
    Hmmm. Is she hot?

(and, how old is she?)

Note that this is page 127. Prime number.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I don't see the "peanuts" you're discussing. On each side of the upper jaw, I see four premolars (two fell out postmortem, as per Ymo) and two molars (the rear teeth). If you could photoshop an arrow pointing to the peanuts, I might be able to respond better.

The upper dental formula appears to be 3 incisors, 1 canine, 4 premolars, and 2 molars (3142). Note that the buccal (cheek side) surface of the molars is raised, much like many carnivores.

It's a full adult raccoon. Maybe it needed an invisible fence to protect it from the foxes!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I've drawn red ovals around the peanuts. They're near the back of the skull, toward the outside edges.

This particular raccoon wishes he had an electric fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peanuts

I've drawn red ovals around the peanuts. They're near the back of the skull, toward the outside edges.

This particular raccoon wishes he had an electric fence.
    Auditory bulla.

It's a bone by the ear canal.

Auditory bulla.

It's a bone by the ear canal.
    Very cool, thanks. That makes sense, since they're located by the base of the ears.

If you didn't know beforehand, could you tell by looking at the skull that it was a raccoon skull?

A quick search on google indicates the auditory bulla developed with the carnivores about 63M years ago.

Smile Process of elimination

Very cool, thanks. That makes sense, since they're located by the base of the ears.

If you didn't know beforehand, could you tell by looking at the skull that it was a raccoon skull?

A quick search on google indicates the auditory bulla developed with the carnivores about 63M years ago.
    Not a primate (okay, I had to throw that one in there).
    Carnivore: easy to tell.
    Could eliminate cats, dogs.
    Dental formula eliminates mustelids (e.g., badgers, weasels, etc...).
    Too small for a bear. Throw out ursids.
    Found on land.
    Found in the Northeast.
    I'd have guessed raccoon.

FWIW, primates have petrousal auditory bullas.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

On the subject of critters who shouldn't be in our backyards, one of the neighbors' cats was under our deck challenging what turned out to be a snake. I figured it would be a little garter snake, maybe an adolescent snake, but nooooo.... at least a yard long and all black. It looked like moving poo - utterly disgusting. Obviously, it's not poisonous or the cat would have been toast, but I'm not sure I like something slithery and yucky and BIG sliming through our yard!!

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    On the subject of critters who shouldn't be in our backyards, one of the neighbors' cats was under our deck challenging what turned out to be a snake. I figured it would be a little garter snake, maybe an adolescent snake, but nooooo.... at least a yard long and all black. It looked like moving poo - utterly disgusting. Obviously, it's not poisonous or the cat would have been toast, but I'm not sure I like something slithery and yucky and BIG sliming through our yard!!
    There's a large black snake called a rat snake that is a very nice snake, quite harmless to humans. The snake can reach a length of 8 feet. It's an excellent climber and is often found in trees, bushes and vines as well as on the ground. The black rat snake keeps the small rodent population in check.

"The snake is my friend."

I'm not sure I like something slithery and yucky and BIG sliming through our yard!!
    Hence my restraining order on EarlJam.

There's a large black snake called a rat snake that is a very nice snake, quite harmless to humans. The snake can reach a length of 8 feet. It's an excellent climber and is often found in trees, bushes and vines as well as on the ground. The black rat snake keeps the small rodent population in check.

"The snake is my friend."
    In trees??!! Oh my God... ooooooh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, o.k., I'm going to pretend I didn't read that...

Smile Snakes vs. rats

In trees??!! Oh my God... ooooooh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, o.k., I'm going to pretend I didn't read that...
    Now, now...

Snakes, indeed, are our friends. I much prefer snakes to rats.

A black rat snake is usually a good thing, especially if you have a garden.

Green tree pit vipers ... now THOSE you should watch out for (if you live in Laos).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Now, now...

Snakes, indeed, are our friends. I much prefer snakes to rats.

A black rat snake is usually a good thing, especially if you have a garden.

Green tree pit vipers ... now THOSE you should watch out for (if you live in Laos).

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Notice that neither of you is saying, "Don't worry, blublood, you're being ridiculous! The snake would never slime up a tree limb, await its fiendish opportunity, and dive bomb onto you or your small child when you least expect it!"

Also, my cats handle all rodent-dispatching duties around the yard, so I'm not sure why the snake wants to live with us anyway. I mean, not with us, not in the house, not in our house, oh my God, o.k. gotta go!!

Smile Snakes are our friends

Notice that neither of you is saying, "Don't worry, blublood, you're being ridiculous! The snake would never slime up a tree limb, await its fiendish opportunity, and dive bomb onto you or your small child when you least expect it!"

Also, my cats handle all rodent-dispatching duties around the yard, so I'm not sure why the snake wants to live with us anyway. I mean, not with us, not in the house, not in our house, oh my God, o.k. gotta go!!
    IIRC, calling another poster ridiculous would be an infraction, and no one wants to be banned from the OTB.

Many rodents are nocturnal, so while the cats are away ...

Most snakes in the US are afraid of humans. They don't attack you as prey, ambushing you from the trees.

Leopards, on the other hand, ambush from the trees remarkably well and efficiently. Last check, however, is that we have no leopards in the US.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Snakes in trees!!!

Funniest thing - my mother-in-law walked out her front door and a snake fell down on her neck. It doesn't get any funnier than that.

She was fine, just momentarily startled.

Snakes in trees!!!

Funniest thing - my mother-in-law walked out her front door and a snake fell down on her neck. It doesn't get any funnier than that.

She was fine, just momentarily startled.
    Eeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!

Now, neither blublood nor Tilly will EVER leave the house. Sorry, blublood, I shouldn't speak for you, though I'm betting you're with me on this one.

Smile Back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Eeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!

Now, neither blublood nor Tilly will EVER leave the house. Sorry, blublood, I shouldn't speak for you, though I'm betting you're with me on this one.
    ... but if you had a raccoon in the backyard, you could knock out the snake AND the rodents ... and they wouldn't pounce from above.

They have a "roof" over the entrance, and tree frogs hang out in that enclave. Most likely, the snake was hungry for some frog. My theory is that when the door was opened, the snake fell rather than pounced.

... but if you had a raccoon in the backyard, you could knock out the snake AND the rodents ... and they wouldn't pounce from above.
    I'll go along with this. Raccoons are okay in my book. I do love their cute little faces.

Exclamation Uh oh ...

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'll go along with this. Raccoons are okay in my book. I do love their cute little faces.
    EEK!! I just had a thought...

... but what would happen to Moneypenny?

EEK!! I just had a thought...

... but what would happen to Moneypenny?
    You all need to stop hijacking this thread and move it back on topic!