Page 1363 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 3638631263131313531361136213631364136513731413146318632363 ... LastLast
Results 27,241 to 27,260 of 67395
    Monday, part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    About to head that a drive by baby shower. How 2020 is that?
    On Saturday I went to a drive by birthday “party” for an 8 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    On Saturday I went to a drive by birthday “party” for an 8 year old.
    We are going to have a church parade this Saturday. Families with kids and youth will set up in parking spaces - practicing correct social distancing - and church members can drive by to see the kids. We are all missing seeing them on Sundays so it will be good to get some smiles and waves.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    "I'm going down and I'm taking everybody down with me!" - Hamlet

(That's basically how I look at the play now. Hamlet is an anti-hero.)

Lordy. Trying to figure out what to do as a business is nearly impossible in this current insane timeline we are all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    "I'm going down and I'm taking everybody down with me!" - Hamlet

(That's basically how I look at the play now. Hamlet is an anti-hero.)
    I played Hamlet in fifth grade. An abbreviated version, but still.

And I had a crush on the girl who played Laertes. So that was — odd.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I played Hamlet in fifth grade. An abbreviated version, but still.

And I had a crush on the girl who played Laertes. So that was — odd.
    Indeed.

Were you good? Can you still do the "To be or not to be" speech?

Indeed.

Were you good? Can you still do the "To be or not to be" speech?
    Not to your standards, but I still remember it.

I remember the “sit you down, you shall not budge” push to the queen, and I almost flipped the poor girl over her seat.

I'm mostly sanguine about not getting parts because I know what casting sessions are like from the other side of the table. Choices can be hard and you often have way more good actors than parts to give them.

That said, I auditioned for a "gender neutral" production of Hamlet last fall. All roles except Hamlet were open and you could audition for any role. The did end up casting a male actor as Gertrude and a female actor as Claudius. I auditioned for Claudius. All in all it could have been a better than average production - except for Claudius!!!! I would have been much better in the role. You probably would have too, OPK.

I saw two productions of Hamlet last year and in both of them the Claudius was not up to the part. In the first one, the actor was decent actor he was just woefully miscast - he should have played Polonius, I think he would have been a good Polonius but there was something lacking in his portrayal of Claudius, particularly in that production. And in the second production, the actor just looked lost. I've seen her in other productions where she was quite good, but, this was the first time I'd ever seen her in Shakespeare. Some people let the language overwhelm them.

So, the lesson I have learned about Hamlet, your Hamlet might be giving an award worthy performance but if your Claudius sucks, the production will fail. He's a very important part. Very. He's the character with the fatal flaw.

I'm mostly sanguine about not getting parts because I know what casting sessions are like from the other side of the table. Choices can be hard and you often have way more good actors than parts to give them.

That said, I auditioned for a "gender neutral" production of Hamlet last fall. All roles except Hamlet were open and you could audition for any role. The did end up casting a male actor as Gertrude and a female actor as Claudius. I auditioned for Claudius. All in all a decent production when I went to see it - except for Claudius!!!! I would have been much better in the role. You probably would have too, OPK.

I saw two productions of Hamlet last year and in both of them the Claudius was not up to the part. In the first one, the actor was decent actor he was just woefully miscast - he should have played Polonius, I think he would have been a good Polonius but there was something lacking in his portrayal of Claudius, particularly in that production. And in the second production, the actor just looked lost. I've seen her in other productions where she was quite good, but, this was the first time I'd ever seen her in Shakespeare. Some people let the language overwhelm them.

So, the lesson I have learned about Hamlet, your Hamlet might be giving an award worthy performance but if your Claudius sucks, the production will fail. He's a very important part. Very. He's the character with the fatal flaw.
    The play’s the thing in which to catch the conscience of the king.

Really interesting insight Bd, had not thought of it that way before. But I can certainly see it.

The play’s the thing in which to catch the conscience of the king.

Really interesting insight Bd, had not thought of it that way before. But I can certainly see it.
    I think about Shakespeare way more than the average bear, I suspect. My kids don't know why I'm always comparing myself to an average bear, btw.

I think about Shakespeare way more than the average bear, I suspect. My kids don't know why I'm always comparing myself to an average bear, btw.
    Which is your favorite of his plays, and why?

If that is not too personal a question.

Do you call them Boo Boo? Since you're smarter than the average bear?

May the fourth be with you and May the fifth always be half full?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Do you call them Boo Boo? Since you're smarter than the average bear?
    I have. Sweet Pie and Doodle are more commonly used though for whichever kid is around. We also have "grouping" nicknames when all 4 are around. The Bigs and the Littles, the Ends and the Middles, the Odds and the Evens. The Bigs, the Middles, and the Littles were used the most often while they were growing up. The Middles shared a bedroom until the youngest left his crib, then the Littles moved in together while Big - Middle - Even took over the guest room. The oldest is The Drewsk. Number 2 son was given a boatload of nicknames by his school friends but never really got a family nickname that stuck although I borrow one of the nicknames given by his friends sometimes, Paddies. Number 3 son is T-Bone. He used to hate it and I told him that someday he wouldn't mind that he'd come by that nickname for real. He tolerates it now. And the youngest is a third, so, when all three of the same name get together, the youngest gets called by his first and middle name to distinguish him from Pops and Junior. My family nickname is Ling Ling after the giant panda forced to breed in captivity, given to me by my sister-in-law when I told everybody I was pregnant for the 4th time. That one stuck. I don't think anybody on that side of the family has called me by my first name for 16 years. ;-)

Which is your favorite of his plays, and why?

If that is not too personal a question.
    Not too personal. My favorite is A Midsummer Night's Dream. The tragedies are all great plays with awesome speeches and, having performed in Macbeth, Othello, and (coming soon) Romeo & Juliet, I can attest to the fact that they are fun to act in, but when it comes to picking a favorite, I prefer a happy ending. AMND is a complete play, you don't feel like there's a missing scene somewhere. The "play within a play" comes at the very end after the action of the play is complete - it comes after the wedding! And it works! It shouldn't, but it does, every time. It's got magic. The villains aren't really villains, Demetrius is redeemed and all Egeus has to suffer is that his daughter marries a different gentleman. The one tragedy of the play is mostly overlooked. I think one of the best expressions of love in all of Shakespeare is Titania's speech that begins "His mother was a votaress of my order". It's not romantic love, it's friendship love, but it's beautiful. Titania and Oberon are fighting because she won't give up her changling boy, that boy is the son of her friend, and Oberon tricks her with a potion to give up the boy after all. Tragic. When Oberon takes the spell off, she forgives him. Or maybe. When I played Titania, I gave as much "you've got some explaining to do" to the lines, "Come, my lord, and in our flight tell me how it came this night, that I sleeping here was found, with these mortals on the ground." Titania earlier in the play explains to Oberon that their feuding must stop, that's the point of the "These are the forgeries of jealousy" speech. You've got more than one conflict, you've got lovers stealing into the woods at night, you've got fairies and magic, you've got comic relief that is actually funny. There isn't a throwaway character in the bunch, Ok, the fairies are window dressing, but even the mechanicals that don't have much to say have a lot to do. Peter Quince is one of the best minor characters in all of Shakespeare. Oberon, Bottom, Puck, Titania, Helena/Hermia/Demetrius/Lysander - all great characters. What's not to love? Also, you can cut it to between 90 and 100 minutes run time and do it outdoors in the summer with a 7pm curtain and finish before sunset. ;-)

I like to joke with my fellow thespians that I have a real talent for being "not dead" at the end of the tragedies I've acted in. It's not easy! I did play Lady MacDuff in Macbeth but I was doubled with one of the lords and the serving woman, so, I come back on after Lady MacDuff runs off stage screaming murder. I count that as being "not dead" at the end.

Not too personal. My favorite is A Midsummer Night's Dream. The tragedies are all great plays with awesome speeches and, having performed in Macbeth, Othello, and (coming soon) Romeo & Juliet, I can attest to the fact that they are fun to act in, but when it comes to picking a favorite, I prefer a happy ending. AMND is a complete play, you don't feel like there's a missing scene somewhere. The "play within a play" comes at the very end after the action of the play is complete - it comes after the wedding! And it works! It shouldn't, but it does, every time. It's got magic. The villains aren't really villains, Demetrius is redeemed and all Egeus has to suffer is that his daughter marries a different gentleman. The one tragedy of the play is mostly overlooked. I think one of the best expressions of love in all of Shakespeare is Titania's speech that begins "His mother was a votaress of my order". It's not romantic love, it's friendship love, but it's beautiful. Titania and Oberon are fighting because she won't give up her changling boy, that boy is the son of her friend, and Oberon tricks her with a potion to give up the boy after all. Tragic. When Oberon takes the spell off, she forgives him. Or maybe. When I played Titania, I gave as much "you've got some explaining to do" to the lines, "Come, my lord, and in our flight tell me how it came this night, that I sleeping here was found, with these mortals on the ground." Titania earlier in the play explains to Oberon that their feuding must stop, that's the point of the "These are the forgeries of jealousy" speech. You've got more than one conflict, you've got lovers stealing into the woods at night, you've got fairies and magic, you've got comic relief that is actually funny. There isn't a throwaway character in the bunch, Ok, the fairies are window dressing, but even the mechanicals that don't have much to say have a lot to do. Peter Quince is one of the best minor characters in all of Shakespeare. Oberon, Bottom, Puck, Titania, Helena/Hermia/Demetrius/Lysander - all great characters. What's not to love? Also, you can cut it to between 90 and 100 minutes run time and do it outdoors in the summer with a 7pm curtain and finish before sunset. ;-)
    'must spread comments before sporking again," yada yada.

Excellent summation, thanks! Again, great insight.

To amuse my theater friends, I am currently having a "Vote for Your Favorite Shakespeare Play" Tournament over on my FB page. We've done the play-in games and are nearly through the first round.

One of my friends started this whole thing with a "Best Comedy Movie" of all time. The Princess Bride won that one. Then he did a "Best One Hit Wonder" of all time. "Come On, Eileen" was crowned the champion. Then I stole the idea and did "Worst Picture to Win Best Picture" - The Greatest Show on Earth. And right now, we are doubling up, he's doing the best American sitcom and I'm doing Shakespeare plays. One or the other or both of us have been amusing our FB friends for over 2 years now, I think.

I took a break in the middle of the Worst/Best Picture tournament to have a Hassel-Off. It was a mini-tournament of David Hasselhoff videos. This one won - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

I have. Sweet Pie and Doodle are more commonly used though for whichever kid is around. We also have "grouping" nicknames when all 4 are around. The Bigs and the Littles, the Ends and the Middles, the Odds and the Evens. The Bigs, the Middles, and the Littles were used the most often while they were growing up. The Middles shared a bedroom until the youngest left his crib, then the Littles moved in together while Big - Middle - Even took over the guest room. The oldest is The Drewsk. Number 2 son was given a boatload of nicknames by his school friends but never really got a family nickname that stuck although I borrow one of the nicknames given by his friends sometimes, Paddies. Number 3 son is T-Bone. He used to hate it and I told him that someday he wouldn't mind that he'd come by that nickname for real. He tolerates it now. And the youngest is a third, so, when all three of the same name get together, the youngest gets called by his first and middle name to distinguish him from Pops and Junior. My family nickname is Ling Ling after the giant panda forced to breed in captivity, given to me by my sister-in-law when I told everybody I was pregnant for the 4th time. That one stuck. I don't think anybody on that side of the family has called me by my first name for 16 years. ;-)
    Family nicknames are always interesting. My family always called my Sister Sue and I "the little girls" since we were the youngest. My oldest brother was the most frequent user of this nickname. When he had two girls and we were in our 20s, we decided to pass the name on to his girls. It lasted 20 minutes. I figure we will still be the little girls when we are in our 80s.