Page 135 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 35851251331341351361371451852356351135 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 67397
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    How about just calling their bluff while you are there blublood?
    Because I don't have the guts! I'm not really at a point in my career where I can start ticking people off and get away with it. Higher ed is a small, small, small, small world after all.

However, I will say that it went better than I would have imagined. I would never work for this person because she gives off that private-school-I'm-queen-of-the-world vibe that makes for a miserable work environment, but we had a good conversation.

I got the same "School X is just a big ol' family!" baloney again... is there any university in the entire world that doesn't make this claim?? And has it ever been even the slightest bit true?

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Because I don't have the guts! I'm not really at a point in my career where I can start ticking people off and get away with it. Higher ed is a small, small, small, small world after all.

However, I will say that it went better than I would have imagined. I would never work for this person because she gives off that private-school-I'm-queen-of-the-world vibe that makes for a miserable work environment, but we had a good conversation.

I got the same "School X is just a big ol' family!" baloney again... is there any university in the entire world that doesn't make this claim?? And has it ever been even the slightest bit true?
    I feel your pain. It seems to me that we young'uns are often the, ahem, beneficiaries of these interviews. And I too eagerly await the day when I'm enough of a luminary in my field that I caould walk into one of these things with four or five days' growth on my face, in flip flops and a wrinkled pair of plaid pants, and tell it like it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Unseasonably cool today also, only 61 F as I type. Everyonce in a while, I ask myself, "Self, why did you ever move from North Carolina?"
    I was asking myself that all last month. But we finally broke the 80's here this past weekend. Yay!

Mother of Pearl

LTE fell to the second page! Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I've been wearing contact lenses for a couple of decades. To save the environment, I'm switching to glasses when my supply of contacts runs out. This is all setting the stage for my question.

Do the lenses that darken in the sunlight work in the car?

I have an older pair of glasses that darken outside in the bright sunlight but don't darken in the car at all. Dark sunglasses are essential for driving, so I'll need a pair of sunglasses if the lenses that darken in the sunlight don't darken in the car.

I've never had a pair of glasses with lenses that changed colors...I always worried that they would change colors when I didn't want them to. Every couple of years I have my old glasses tinted when I get new ones.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Frozen Margarita

I got off early today, came home, and promptly made a frozen margarita. mmmmmmmm. After it's finished, I'm going for the frozen strawberry daquiri.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    As much as we are suffering from BB withdrawal, devildeac will also be out of communication. He is enjoying a cruise, but will resume posting next week. Word on the phone with him yesterday is that he has 5 new brews to review.

No BB, now no devildeac. What next?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Don't know if you missed me or not but I'm currently in SC will be in NC at the end of next week and I'm only occasionally checking in.

Smile Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Don't know if you missed me or not but I'm currently in SC will be in NC at the end of next week and I'm only occasionally checking in.
    I'm assuming that you will NOT be in the Peachtree Road Race tomorrow.

Word from ILoveJimmy is that a day or two ago Mrs. Devildeac and Devildeac enjoyed a brewhouse somewhere up the Alaskan peninsula.

Meanwhile, we just did put our house on the market. UGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Meanwhile, we just did put our house on the market. UGH!!!
    Good luck!!!

Sending vibes that ILoveJimmy and Lavabe sell their house.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Good luck!!!

Sending vibes that ILoveJimmy and Lavabe sell their house.
    Will need loads of vibes on this.

We took CathCA's advice on the other thread, and wound up working with a stager. WOW! Definitely improves the house, but we'll see whether it works.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Good luck indeed, Lavabe. Hope you and the fam don't have to feel too out of place in your own home for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I got off early today, came home, and promptly made a frozen margarita. mmmmmmmm. After it's finished, I'm going for the frozen strawberry daquiri.
    Had myself a tasty margarita after work today as well, along with a nice bite of a steak taco. May have to make another tomorrow!

Gosh, I love four-day work weeks - even better than the three-day weekend, if you ask me!

Fireworks preference:

The kinds you light off yourself, or the big fancy displays shot in the air?

Does anyone remember smoke bombs? I loved lighting them, then kicking them down the street, seeing the colored dots they left behind for days later.

None of the above? I spent a few weeks at Fort Sill, OK one summer sending 155mm rounds down range. Ahhh...

Raccoon Skull

I found the raccoon skull in the back woods. It's all cleaned off, down to the bone. Without the ears and fur it doesn't look much like a raccoon. Curiously, there are a pair of peanut sized "protrusions" in the back of the mouth, on the roof, behind the teeth. Wonder what they're for.

Hmmm, ich habe keine idee...

Almost at 2,500 folks. Who would have thought?

Sprechen zie deutsch? Zehr gut!

Ich kann ein bischen deutsch verstehen...

Really, Bluedevil deserves the honor of the next post after this, the 2,499th of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Really, Bluedevil deserves the honor of the next post after this, the 2,499th of the thread.
    I'll take the honor, thank you very much.