Page 1335 of 2761 FirstFirst ... 3358351235128513251333133413351336133713451385143518352335 ... LastLast
Results 26,681 to 26,700 of 55202
  1. #26681
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    My sister and her husband are moving back to Kansas from PA. We are working on how best to handle this as they have 3 vehicles to move. Actually, 4 but one will be hauled on a trailer. Open to suggestions.
    Oof, terrible time to move.

    I'd mentioned to someone up-thread that you can always rent space in private trailers depending on what you're trying to ship. Plenty of guys out there have a trailer and just ping pong and zig zag across the country. So long as you're not worried too much about exact timing they'll sell you space by the cubic foot or weight. IIRC, when we shipped a few pieces of furniture, they were in a trailer with someone's car.

    Got a bored retiree, unemployed loaf-about, gig-ger in your life? Pay them to drive it out for you and just pick up their bus ticket/airfare back.

  2. #26682
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oof, terrible time to move.

    I'd mentioned to someone up-thread that you can always rent space in private trailers depending on what you're trying to ship. Plenty of guys out there have a trailer and just ping pong and zig zag across the country. So long as you're not worried too much about exact timing they'll sell you space by the cubic foot or weight. IIRC, when we shipped a few pieces of furniture, they were in a trailer with someone's car.

    Got a bored retiree, unemployed loaf-about, gig-ger in your life? Pay them to drive it out for you and just pick up their bus ticket/airfare back.
    We used ABF freight once. Amazing deal. Highly recommend.

  3. #26683
    Shop around...

  4. #26684
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oof, terrible time to move.

    I'd mentioned to someone up-thread that you can always rent space in private trailers depending on what you're trying to ship. Plenty of guys out there have a trailer and just ping pong and zig zag across the country. So long as you're not worried too much about exact timing they'll sell you space by the cubic foot or weight. IIRC, when we shipped a few pieces of furniture, they were in a trailer with someone's car.

    Got a bored retiree, unemployed loaf-about, gig-ger in your life? Pay them to drive it out for you and just pick up their bus ticket/airfare back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We used ABF freight once. Amazing deal. Highly recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Shop around...
    Household goods are taken care off. I'm pretty sure that my brother-in-law will not allow any of the vehicles to come via truck. Airfares to Allentown were pretty cheap when we looked last week but who knows if they will be flying by then.

  5. #26685
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Not enough people understand statistical methods.

  6. #26686
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    And most people have no idea what the law of averages actually says.

  7. #26687
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    That said, I once made an incorrect statistical argument on an anonymous message board. I was glad I was anonymous. I couldn't go back and correct it later. (It wasn't here.)

  8. #26688
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    That said, I once made an incorrect statistical argument on an anonymous message board. I was glad I was anonymous. I couldn't go back and correct it later. (It wasn't here.)
    Given how many people at this site that have met face to face, Iím not certain this site anonymous.

  9. #26689
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    And most people have no idea what the law of averages actually says.
    I have seen many people commit the gamblerís fallacy.

  10. #26690
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not enough people understand statistical methods.
    Iíve been called the Extrapolator when it comes to interpreting results from data. I work with a bunch of actuaries.

  11. #26691
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    That said, I once made an incorrect statistical argument on an anonymous message board. I was glad I was anonymous. I couldn't go back and correct it later. (It wasn't here.)
    I wish I could go back and fix all my typos. My error rate is quite high.

  12. #26692
    This person wishes they had used sunscreen more liberally(at all) yesterday. In my defense, it was overcast and in the mid 60s while I was outside. But I was outside several hours longer than planned.

  13. #26693
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not enough people understand statistical methods.
    The governor of NY was not necessarily complementary of statisticians yesterday: ď"The statisticians will not give you a straight answer on anything," he said about the so-called "curve" - the chart that tracks the rate of infections.Ē

    I wonder if the pun was intended?

  14. #26694
    Surprised there isn't more traffic here this time of night.

  15. #26695
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Surprised there isn't more traffic here this time of night.
    Must be fewer insomniacs than I thought...

  16. #26696
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This person wishes they had used sunscreen more liberally(at all) yesterday. In my defense, it was overcast and in the mid 60s while I was outside. But I was outside several hours longer than planned.
    I've gotten some of my best sunburns on cloudy days.

  17. #26697
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The governor of NY was not necessarily complementary of statisticians yesterday: ď"The statisticians will not give you a straight answer on anything," he said about the so-called "curve" - the chart that tracks the rate of infections.Ē

    I wonder if the pun was intended?
    See, that's the thing, statisticians will almost always give you the straight answer, but, alas, that answer is usually - we don't know what will happen, all we can give you is a range of options of things that could happen with the caveat that there is about a 5% chance that what happens isn't in the range after all. We could give you an even wider range of options and be 99% sure that we've covered everything if you prefer.

  18. #26698
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    See, that's the thing, statisticians will almost always give you the straight answer, but, alas, that answer is usually - we don't know what will happen, all we can give you is a range of options of things that could happen with the caveat that there is about a 5% chance that what happens isn't in the range after all. We could give you an even wider range of options and be 99% sure that we've covered everything if you prefer.
    Yeah, the problem isn't the statisticians, it's their audience*.


    *And that's not always a knock on their audience either. Tough being truly informed about more than a few topics, IMO.

  19. #26699
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This person wishes they had used sunscreen more liberally(at all) yesterday. In my defense, it was overcast and in the mid 60s while I was outside. But I was outside several hours longer than planned.
    A cloudy day has an spf somewhere in the low single digits. (And I use spf 30 and up...)

    -jk

  20. #26700
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    See, that's the thing, statisticians will almost always give you the straight answer, but, alas, that answer is usually - we don't know what will happen, all we can give you is a range of options of things that could happen with the caveat that there is about a 5% chance that what happens isn't in the range after all. We could give you an even wider range of options and be 99% sure that we've covered everything if you prefer.
    I always give the answer that people want a determinant answer. Which is exactly what statistics cannot give you.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •