Page 117 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 17671071151161171181191271672176171117 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    LTE has another month to go before it hits 6 months, my friend; your calcs are a little off.

LTE, about 160 days old. Approx. 13.4 posts per day. Even if we up your PW'ing to 9 ppd, that's still a daily difference of 4.4. LTE needs 372 days at the current rate, but I think a concerted effort could get us there in another 6 months. Or you could just slow down for awhile.
    Wait, it's not late June? Oops.

I've been heads down working on a product for 4 months, so I have no idea what time of year it is. Also, I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Wait, it's not late June? Oops.

I've been heads down working on a product for 4 months, so I have no idea what time of year it is. Also, I'm an idiot.
    This is kind of like waking up on Sunday when you think it's Monday. Now you have an extra month! I will drink a beer to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I can see that some of us who have been slacking off will have to chip in for us to get there.
    That's the spirit!

Question for the crowd -- if space/money were no object, what sort of exotic pet would you like to have, and why?

I think I may have to go with otters. They're just so cute when they play, and they can be affectionate, I'm told.

Plus, it'd give me an excuse to have a kick-butt water feature (stream/pond/fountains) in the backyard.

That's the spirit!

Question for the crowd -- if space/money were no object, what sort of exotic pet would you like to have, and why?

I think I may have to go with otters. They're just so cute when they play, and they can be affectionate, I'm told.

Plus, it'd give me an excuse to have a kick-butt water feature (stream/pond/fountains) in the backyard.
    I was thinking of a tiger or a lion, or even a bear. But after reading DA's post, I think I might have to go along with otters too.

That's the spirit!

I'd probably go with a penguin. They have a lot of personality and seem to be very cool. Yes, I would own/dominate a penguin.

Incidentally, I currently live in a townhome and own a horse. I keep him (Steve) in the dining room. I have a frassload of oat bags in my closet, and the maintenence is incredible, what what a great horse.

But I'd like to have a penguin.

-EarlificationJammination

thread

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    May you lick lead painted toys and choke on small parts for the rest of your life!

I am over the age of 3/5/7 (pick one so I may be excluded from your curse) and my children are grown and I have no grandkids yet-double and.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Incidentally, I currently live in a townhome and own a horse. I keep him (Steve) in the dining room.
    How do Hurley and Steve get along? Do they play nicely together while you're at work?

lte

need more beer (and emoticons)

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I'd get a pig. I love pigs. I find them very intelligent with loads of personality.

Although a penguin might be cool too.

EarlJam, aren't you too hot for a penguin?

Boopsie! I just remembered, finally, that Doonesbury comic strip character's name (and BD's girlfriend). I had a friend at Duke who called me Boopsie. OK, I guess I could call him a friend despite that. He taped a frame from a strip to my door once that said "That's not talent, that's Boopsie!"

That's the spirit!

Otters and penguins would be fun - but since they are taken, and I'm guessing a person wouldn't count as an exotic pet, I would go with either a dolphin (requiring a beach house) or a beaver (requiring trees and a water source, soon to be a pond).

Gophers: Thanks Blublood

Thanks for your response. I've also researched that outdoor cats will keep the gopher/vole/mole population down. But...we've got coyotes that roam, and in the past have lost several cats to such. Thus, our current felines are "indoor" cats. Something I never imagined and caused me concern. But...ya know what? Current cats don't care! Have plenty of room to roam, and don't ache for the outdoors.

No problem with skunks here. In my past house in the hills, we had many possums and raccoons, and not so much here. Squirrels, deer, hummingbirds, hawks, palm rats -- nothing to cause concern, except those darn pocket gophers.

Just keepin' the thread going.

Well, you are definitely not living off Pico...(where my g'parents lived when they moved to LA in the 1950's). We were in the west end of the San Fernando Valley south of the 101. I didn't see any possums or raccoons, just a lot of squirrels and the occasional skunk. The skunks stunk in the summer, particularly when one would get run over. With 90+ temps and no wind, the smell would linger for days in our little section of the valley.

PS Around Pico and LaCienega IIRC. I love watching older movies with LA from that era(1950's). What an awesome place to be...enough people around but not packed with people like today. Its A Mad Mad Mad World and the shots of The Pier in Santa Monica are great. I hear they may be taking it down?

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Thanks for your response. I've also researched that outdoor cats will keep the gopher/vole/mole population down.
    No problem with skunks here. In my past house in the hills, we had many possums and raccoons, and not so much here. Squirrels, deer, hummingbirds, hawks, palm rats -- nothing to cause concern, except those darn pocket gophers.
    Have you considered a snake or an eagle? I think eagles are awesome but a a snake might be more practical. Perhaps a Western Rat Snake would take care of business.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Well, you are definitely not living off Pico...(where my g'parents lived when they moved to LA in the 1950's). We were in the west end of the San Fernando Valley south of the 101. I didn't see any possums or raccoons, just a lot of squirrels and the occasional skunk. The skunks stunk in the summer, particularly when one would get run over. With 90+ temps and no wind, the smell would linger for days in our little section of the valley.
    We get a whiff of the skunks in the South Bay every other week or so. When I lived in Carlsbad, I ran into skunks at least twice a week in the summer and smelled them more often. I guess they loved the beach too.

You're not even trying, people.

Yo DukieInKansas -- speaking of stormy summers, how'd you fare in the most recent bout?

(and BB, hush you!)

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I've also researched that outdoor cats will keep the gopher/vole/mole population down.
    Really? Cats can take out moles? Hmmm... I'm a die-hard dog person, but my yard is really hurting from those digging buggers. I may reconsider a cat if it could stop the foot-high mounds of dirt from appearing on a daily basis.

Angry I'm getting mad at ads

Three times today, I clicked the OTB, and somehow clicked the hotspot area of the ad below it. I just now tried to do it, and instead of getting the dulcet tones of billybreen, I am looking at some restaurant guide to Dallas, TX.

ARRGH!

Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    the dulcet tones of billybreen
    That phrase has literally never been said.

Anybody here in a book club? If so, any favorites you've read with your club?

I'm was introduced to Michael Ondaatje before he wrote The English Patient. I now have an autographed first edition of that book. If you've only seen the movie, you haven't read the book, and you should try it. It's beautiful. Other favorites of mine include: The Remains of the Day and Eva Moves the Furniture.

One of the ongoing questions we ask ourselves is "What makes a great book?"

The gold standard for bad with my group is Birds of America by Mary McCarthy (I think it was her). Anyway, whenever a book isn't a big hit with the group, someone will say, "Yes, but it's no Birds of America." Even members who weren't with us when we read that book. I'm the only one who has been around since the beginning. I started this particular book club in October of 1989. Through the years, I've missed 3 meetings.