Page 1164 of 2383 FirstFirst ... 1646641064111411541162116311641165116611741214126416642164 ... LastLast
Results 23,261 to 23,280 of 47650
  1. #23261
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    When? Are you OK?
    Oh, I'm fine, but I posted in that other thread...

  2. #23262
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Now that's funny.

    And it makes me realize that The Onion long ago replaced Mad Magazine for me as a go to place for satirical humor. Probably for a lot of other people too. Might be one of the reasons Mad is going away.
    And as someone allegedly died to upthread, Mad has a sweet-spot age of young adults. Too naughty for kids, too juvenile for many adults.

    But oh, how it hit that sweet spot!
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  3. #23263
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    In DC today (the irony that this is the year I chose to go down to the mall given my political sensibilities) to see the parade and fireworks. The parade was underwhelming but participants put their hearts into it. Congrats to Hoke County NCHigh School band for securing the parade’s closing act. Saw scant few demonstators, and one military vehicle— no one in your face yelling political shibboleths of one sort or another. Folks just out enjoying the day. I did get a chuckle out of the “Pinochet did nothing wrong” t-shirt Worn by a young woman who had to be in her 30s. She must’ve been very politically aware as a toddler.

  4. #23264
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And as someone allegedly died to upthread, Mad has a sweet-spot age of young adults. Too naughty for kids, too juvenile for many adults.

    But oh, how it hit that sweet spot!
    And nowadays, how many "young adults" purchase magazines?

  5. #23265
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Oh, I'm fine, but I posted in that other thread...
    Stop that! ;-) I have posted there some too, but, I have started to ask myself, is what I have to say really worth risking an LTE takeover? The answer is almost always no.

  6. #23266
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    “And as California slides into the ocean
    Like the mystics and statistics say it will
    I predict this hotel will be standing
    Until I pay my bill...”

    — Warren Zevon
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  7. #23267
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Mad Magazine is ending publication. Sad times.
    Very sad, indeed. 😢

  8. #23268
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    someone allegedly died
    Damn, someone died in this thread? Top that Ymmm, Beer!

  9. #23269
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Damn, someone died in this thread? Top that Ymmm, Beer!
    autocorrect kills.

    And Chatbot hates me, but that’s a different thread and site.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  10. #23270
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Send thoughts/prayers/vibes out to my sister-in-law. She is having some kind of liver issue that is causing the doctors to induce her labor today, a couple of weeks early.

    Excited to be an uncle, but nervous from the circumstances!

  11. #23271
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Send thoughts/prayers/vibes out to my sister-in-law. She is having some kind of liver issue that is causing the doctors to induce her labor today, a couple of weeks early.

    Excited to be an uncle, but nervous from the circumstances!
    {{{{{{{{{{good vibes}}}}}}}}}}
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  12. #23272
    Vibes to your sister in law and your niece/nephew to be from South Central Texas.

  13. #23273
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And Chatbot hates me, but that’s a different thread and site.
    Chatbot view all chatters as equal, but some chatters are more equal than others.

  14. #23274
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Chatbot view all chatters as equal, but some chatters are more equal than others.
    Chatbot has an Orwellian fixation on me, so that quote makes sense.

    I re-read Animal Farm about six months ago, I enjoyed it much more as fun reading than as required reading in high school. Maybe because it was voluntary, maybe because the analogies are much more natural to me at this age than they were when I was sixteen. Either way, I recommend picking it up if anyone wants a fun little read.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  15. #23275
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Chatbot has an Orwellian fixation on me, so that quote makes sense.

    I re-read Animal Farm about six months ago, I enjoyed it much more as fun reading than as required reading in high school. Maybe because it was voluntary, maybe because the analogies are much more natural to me at this age than they were when I was sixteen. Either way, I recommend picking it up if anyone wants a fun little read.
    I have never before heard Animal Farm described that way. Other fun little summer reads might include Heart of Darkness or Ethan Frome. Oh, Lolita, different style but another fun little read. That said, I do think one problem with many American productions of Chekov is that they miss the humor. Chekov's plays are funny, (except for Three Sisters).

  16. #23276
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Send thoughts/prayers/vibes out to my sister-in-law. She is having some kind of liver issue that is causing the doctors to induce her labor today, a couple of weeks early.

    Excited to be an uncle, but nervous from the circumstances!
    All the good vibes coming from just around the corner.

    When my sister went into labor and they did an emergency C-Section, I stressed so hard I sent myself into the first migraine I had experienced in almost twenty years. It is hard to be so emotionally attached to something you have no control over.

  17. #23277
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    I used to think that I was getting too old to wake up early and smoke a brisket.

    Now, I’m at the age where I wake up at three or four anyway, so might as well go smoke some meat.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  18. #23278
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Send thoughts/prayers/vibes out to my sister-in-law. She is having some kind of liver issue that is causing the doctors to induce her labor today, a couple of weeks early.

    Excited to be an uncle, but nervous from the circumstances!
    Keep us posted! Vibes sent!

  19. #23279
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I used to think that I was getting too old to wake up early and smoke a brisket.

    Now, I’m at the age where I wake up at three or four anyway, so might as well go smoke some meat.
    Maybe I should change avocations and start a side business on the weekends.

  20. #23280
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Keep us posted! Vibes sent!
    5cm as of an hour or so ago. Hopefully not too much longer

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •