Page 1144 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 1446441044109411341142114311441145114611541194124416442144 ... LastLast
Results 22,861 to 22,880 of 67238
    Wiffle ball was fine, the pitching location was often much closer due to irregular field dimensions.

At around 1:00 today, I remarked to myself, "Wow, this day is going by pretty fast!"
    9 hours later, I checked my watch and it was 1:15.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    At around 1:00 today, I remarked to myself, "Wow, this day is going by pretty fast!"
    9 hours later, I checked my watch and it was 1:15.
    Best cure:

1. Go down to the nearest bar.
    2. Call your wife, tell her you'll be home in an hour.
    3. Bingo, it's midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Of course you're invited. And IIRC, you have a nephew in Clemson? If so, there should be great kayaking opportunities up there if you visit.

I have never kayaked in the Keys, but have seen a lot of manatee in the inlets of Islamorada and the vicinity. I have never sea kayaked though.
    I think the places I've seen advertising kayaking with manatees are on the gulf side.

I'll be over to kayak - but go ahead and start without me in case I get hung up along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I think the places I've seen advertising kayaking with manatees are on the gulf side.

I'll be over to kayak - but go ahead and start without me in case I get hung up along the way.
    I am sure that Islamorada is not unique in the Keys, but it has canals for boats that empty out into the Gulf. That's where I saw the manatees. There were not really any waves, but I think you need a bigger kayak (i.e. a sea kayak) as opposed to my little 10' and 14' river kayaks.

Will leave a kayak for you tomorrow at the boar ramp, with the paddle. The cooler with your Bloody Mary thermos will be chilling in the bushes nearby. Just let me know if you want a slice of the spinach and cheese quiche or the prosciutto and cheese quiche, so I can throw that in the cooler as well.

Supposed to be 80 and sunny, so bring sun screen. I'll be headed up-stream so I can float more on the way back.

I am sure that Islamorada is not unique in the Keys, but it has canals for boats that empty out into the Gulf. That's where I saw the manatees. There were not really any waves, but I think you need a bigger kayak (i.e. a sea kayak) as opposed to my little 10' and 14' river kayaks.

Will leave a kayak for you tomorrow at the boar ramp, with the paddle. The cooler with your Bloody Mary thermos will be chilling in the bushes nearby. Just let me know if you want a slice of the spinach and cheese quiche or the prosciutto and cheese quiche, so I can throw that in the cooler as well.

Supposed to be 80 and sunny, so bring sun screen. I'll be headed up-stream so I can float more on the way back.
    Feel free to leave just water - not much of a Bloody Mary person but the quiches sound great. I'll try the prosciutto and cheese, please.

Note to self - be sure to set up a kayak trip with OPK when I travel to Clemson in August for nephew's PhD ceremony.

Feel free to leave just water - not much of a Bloody Mary person but the quiches sound great. I'll try the prosciutto and cheese, please.

Note to self - be sure to set up a kayak trip with OPK when I travel to Clemson in August for nephew's PhD ceremony.
    I guess that means more Bloody Mary imbibing for me. {drat the luck}

I've never tried this, but I do not think that the Etowah River Mine Tunnel is too far from Clemson (maybe 2 hours or so):

https://www.tripstodiscover.com/etow...unnel-georgia/

https://kayakguyatlanta.com/kayak-ro...h-river-tunnel

OF course, lots of great spots near Hartwell and along the Savannah too.

Best cure:

1. Go down to the nearest bar.
    2. Call your wife, tell her you'll be home in an hour.
    3. Bingo, it's midnight.
    Am at home already, have cracked open a bottle of bourbon given to me by a cherished Duke friend at my reunion a couple of weeks ago, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of my favorite experiences ever was on my first trip to Key West: being taken on a boat into the Gulf of Mexico to scuba dive in the morning, then resetting and catching dinner in the Atlantic in the afternoon.

Tonight is senior prom for the youngest Turk, my baby Sunshine. (yikes!). Her brothers are coming home tonight after finals. The trees are exploding in green this past week; if you could stand still and watch for 15-30 minutes, I bet you'd actually be able to see them leaf out in real time.

As for kayaks, the Schuylkill River between Phoenixville and Valley Forge is surprisingly scenic and remarkably kayak-friendly, nary an abandoned factory or sunken coal barge in sight. Mrs. Turk likes to paddle upstream on a restored section of canal for a mile or two, port the kayak over to the river, and float back down. Makes a nice afternoon lap, with no pick-up / drop-off / second car logistics.

Cyclists can go from Reading (or farther points north, if they don't mind a bit of on-road cycling) to downtown Philly on the Schuylkill River Trail; with perhaps a stop at the Sly Fox brewery (https://www.slyfoxbeer.com/) for an "SRT Ale", where they donate a portion of the proceeds to the trail.

https://schuylkillcanal.org/

https://schuylkillriver.org/
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Tonight is senior prom for the youngest Turk, my baby Sunshine. (yikes!). Her brothers are coming home tonight after finals. The trees are exploding in green this past week; if you could stand still and watch for 15-30 minutes, I bet you'd actually be able to see them leaf out in real time.

As for kayaks, the Schuylkill River between Phoenixville and Valley Forge is surprisingly scenic and remarkably kayak-friendly, nary an abandoned factory or sunken coal barge in sight. Mrs. Turk likes to paddle upstream on a restored section of canal for a mile or two, port the kayak over to the river, and float back down. Makes a nice afternoon lap, with no pick-up / drop-off / second car logistics.

Cyclists can go from Reading (or farther points north, if they don't mind a bit of on-road cycling) to downtown Philly on the Schuylkill River Trail; with perhaps a stop at the Sly Fox brewery (https://www.slyfoxbeer.com/) for an "SRT Ale", where they donate a portion of the proceeds to the trail.

https://schuylkillcanal.org/

https://schuylkillriver.org/

Good to know - will put in the things to do in PA list. We have talked about biking the trails from Pittsburgh to DC before but not gotten to it. Did kayak on the Allegheny on beautiful October day a few years back.

Has anyone been to the Ringing Rocks Park in Bucks County, PA? http://www.visitbuckscounty.com/list...ocks-park/453/

Very interesting to get out of the car and watch people start off down the trail carrying hammers. I didn't know where we were going so the hammers looked really odd.

Can I come? I want to become better with a kayak. When the family is at a place where kayaking is possible, I treat so that I can go. Niece Nicole and Brother-in-Law Alan are the champions at falling out.

eta - bucket list item is to kayak where I can see manatees. Need to find someone that will do that with me.
    Heck, you can kayak in eastern NC and see alligators! Gotta be cooler than seein' dem lazy manatees...

-jk

Cities

I passed through both US cities that refer to themselves as the Queen City yesterday. I also happened to watch Bohemian Rhapsody while on the plane en route. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I passed through both US cities that refer to themselves as the Queen City yesterday. I also happened to watch Bohemian Rhapsody while on the plane en route. Coincidence?
    Charlotte and Cincy?

Has anyone been to the Ringing Rocks Park in Bucks County, PA? http://www.visitbuckscounty.com/list...ocks-park/453/

Very interesting to get out of the car and watch people start off down the trail carrying hammers. I didn't know where we were going so the hammers looked really odd.
    Not yet; it's on the list. A few years back we had a Scout weekend where Ringing Rocks was on the itinerary, but I couldn't go.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Charlotte and Cincy?
    Yes, I’ve lived in both. And just realized I went through Atlanta not Charlotte. Umm, my mistake.

Headed to look at a car I bought a few years ago that I was storing in an acquaintances barn. He needs the space back so I’m moving it to a storage unit.

What a glorious weekend.

A formal protest was filed this morning.

And in other news, air conditioning season in South Central Texas is now upon us.

Kayaking Saturday and Sunday with DaughterPK, who is home for a few days before her final exams.

OPK is smiling, even though at the office and referring to himself in the third person.

Gonna be a warm week here, teetering on 90 every day with lows in the upper 60's. Pool probably swimmable in the next few days, if not already.