Page 1099 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 99599999104910891097109810991100110111091149119915992099 ... LastLast
Results 21,961 to 21,980 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Sooooooo...Dwight Howard?
    Not touching that one.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Do it yourself discount...
    Nice! I didn't earn quite as big a discount as you - did two oil changes yesterday.

Also finally made up my mind on synthetic vs conventional motor oil. Had switched over to synthetic a couple years ago for the newer vehicles, decided to stretch out the change intervals to 6 mos / 6k to 8k miles between changes and the cars haven't complained about it. The higher price differential (about $1 per qt) for fewer oil changes over time seems to be a fair trade. This time I'm trying the high mileage synthetic for another $1 per gallon to see what happens for the 2005 PT Cruiser ("Black Beauty") which has 130K and loses between a half or full quart between oil changes.

I have no loyalty to any brand of oil or filter. I just get whatever's on sale, especially if they throw in a free filter.

My colleague at work were talking cars, and I tried to figure out how many miles Mrs. Turk and I have driven.

155K - 79 Chevy Chevette - first car I bought
    165K - 83 VW Rabbit (diesel) - first car Mrs. Turk bought
    215K - 86 Chevy Nova - no, not that kind of Nova. Same thing as a Corolla or Geo Prism
    205K - 93 Saturn SL1 - only new car we've ever bought
    195K - 99 Ford Windstar - to haul all the young Turks
    130K - 05 PT Cruiser (current)
    167K - 08 Sienna (current)
    43K - 14 Ford Escape (current)

1.275M total (approx). So giving a generous allowance for the kids, I'd say Mrs. Turk and I have each driven about 600K apiece.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Reminded as I get an hour in the house by myself just how damn talented Jason Isbell is.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the piping-hot cream of zucchini soup I am enjoying has renewed my faith in humanity.

Magnus Carlsen, big old chess playing bestest dudester!

A singularly unflappable person. Right on Maggie!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Reminded as I get an hour in the house by myself just how damn talented Jason Isbell is.
    I hope you’ve seen him live. If not, you need to do so ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post

155K - 79 Chevy Chevette - first car I bought
    165K - 83 VW Rabbit (diesel) - first car Mrs. Turk bought
    215K - 86 Chevy Nova - no, not that kind of Nova. Same thing as a Corolla or Geo Prism
    205K - 93 Saturn SL1 - only new car we've ever bought
    195K - 99 Ford Windstar - to haul all the young Turks
    130K - 05 PT Cruiser (current)
    167K - 08 Sienna (current)
    43K - 14 Ford Escape (current)

1.275M total (approx). So giving a generous allowance for the kids, I'd say Mrs. Turk and I have each driven about 600K apiece.
    You got me thinking:

1990 Honda Accord EX - 125k
    1994 Toyota Camry - 30k (was hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic, my car was totaled)
    1996 Nissan Maxima - 101k
    2002 Audi A4 3.0 - 25k
    2009 Audi A4 3.2 -100k
    2017 Acura RDX - 30k

So, 411k miles driven so far. Pattern suggests I won't have the RDX much longer, which wouldn't shock me. I like it but don't love it. The cars that I've had for 100k+ miles, I've loved...

Now I need to see where I stand on plane miles traveled, at least since I joined most of the frequent flyer programs in the 90s.

I want to milk the big cow.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I want to milk the big cow.
    If you are talking Knickers, the Australian black and white bovine, good luck with that. It isn't a cow - it's a steer.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If you are talking Knickers, the Australian black and white bovine, good luck with that. It isn't a cow - it's a steer.
    Retorting "Awkward" would be obvious and lame...

Proud aunt time. Here is what Nephew Alex has been doing with the Clemson football program: https://247sports.com/college/clemso...SL--125503030/

Proud aunt time. Here is what Nephew Alex has been doing with the Clemson football program: https://247sports.com/college/clemso...SL--125503030/
    Nice!!

Very interesting, DiK. We(Duke) probably need to up our game...

Atlanta United got the job done tonight and will be hosting the league final next Saturday night. I’ll be in the building, shredding my vocal cords in the Supporters’ Section. Before the game, I’ll tailgate with my two best friends from Duke, our wives, and the rest of our crew...about 30 in total.
    I have invested a great deal of time, energy, and money watching my teams play over the years, but I’ve never stood in the building to watch my team, any team, play for the championship. Next Saturday, I’ll finally get to do that, and by rights, Atlanta United should win...we’ll be the better team, playing with a significant home-field advantage (with the requisite caveat that...this is Atlanta).
    I hope that next weekend I’ll get to experience something that’s been on my bucket list for a long time, but either way, it’ll be a celebration of longtime friendship and tradition and roots, and it’ll be special for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Atlanta United got the job done tonight and will be hosting the league final next Saturday night. I’ll be in the building, shredding my vocal cords in the Supporters’ Section. Before the game, I’ll tailgate with my two best friends from Duke, our wives, and the rest of our crew...about 30 in total.
    I have invested a great deal of time, energy, and money watching my teams play over the years, but I’ve never stood in the building to watch my team, any team, play for the championship. Next Saturday, I’ll finally get to do that, and by rights, Atlanta United should win...we’ll be the better team, playing with a significant home-field advantage (with the requisite caveat that...this is Atlanta).
    I hope that next weekend I’ll get to experience something that’s been on my bucket list for a long time, but either way, it’ll be a celebration of longtime friendship and tradition and roots, and it’ll be special for me.
    I may be there, was at the leg two game against NY Cityzens.

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is an awesome venue. Go Five Stripes!!!

Proud aunt time...
    Absolutely! That man is going places!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Absolutely! That man is going places!
    Not until after 10 PM or so it appears.

I'M GETTING MARRIED TOMORROW!!

Too excited not to shout it out here.

I met my fiancee at Duke, and I'm so thankful to the place that brought us together. And before too long we'll be raising little Blue Devils of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

I met my fiancee at Duke, and I'm so thankful to the place that brought us together. And before too long we'll be raising little Blue Devils of our own.
    Congratulations!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

Best wishes for many happy years together! Please share pictures when life settles down a bit after the honeymoon.