Page 1050 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 50550950100010401048104910501051105210601100115015502050 ... LastLast
Results 20,981 to 21,000 of 67390
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My FB feed this week had a Duke alum complaining about her son and his 34 or 35 ACT score not getting in to Duke. She made some remarks she probably regrets and was fired from her job. So, there is that.
    Oh wow. Hmmm, without going PPB, I'm going to guess her remarks brought race into the conversation. For the record, I do not believe that any of the students accepted to Duke's class of 2022 do not belong there. That's the problem, of course, there are more kids that can do the work than there are slots. It's been that way for a long time, but the pressure is increasing and the slots are not. Duke is, in fact, building a brand new state of the art 21st century dorm - they should increase the size of their student body. If my previous comments sounded anything like I thought other kids did not deserve to be there and my son did - I apologize, that was not the point I was intending to make. I did disparage graduates who go on to work in the financial services industry. I will admit that I value scholarly achievement more than making money. Many would view that as a failing on my part and I accept the criticism even though I do not plan to change my mind. I love that my kid wants to double major in Classics and linguistics. I will never ask him "what do you plan to do with that?" He's smart, he'll figure something out. I'll still love him if he goes to work on Wall Street someday but I'm hoping for college professor.

Enrollment at top colleges has been kept artificially low. I'm not saying these places should double in size, but I do believe that the current environment is not sustainable. I suggested an increase of 2-5%. If the Ivies plus Stanford and Duke did that, we would have around 3000 more kids per year going to those schools. That would ease pressure by a lot. It might even lead to a less widespread cheating problem at high schools like the one where my kids go. And yeah, I believe that all the Ivies plus Duke and Stanford could, relatively easily, increase their enrollment by 200-500 kids (over 4 years, so 50-125 per class). I'll repeat, I'm arguing for increasing access by, you know, increasing access. That mom who got fired is railing against a system that is stacked against an awful lot of people. If I'm right about the nature of her comments, she's blaming the wrong people, but still, we're not going to keep going the way we are now without some kind of a breaking point being reached.

I'll tell you one thing that will reach a breaking point - how expensive it is just to apply. My son applied to 11 schools, between application fees, taking the SATs, taking a couple of AP exams, and paying to send the scores to all the schools, it cost about $2000 to just apply. Wanker that. And that's just for this kid. He's my third. The oldest applied to 10 and the second one applied to 13. I've got one more. I plan to steer him towards schools that don't require the SAT. I will also keep tabs on admissions statistics. We're not throwing a lot of money at schools that accept less than 10% of applicants. That's no longer a gamble worth taking.

OK, changing the subject. I'm tired of thinking about college admissions. It's consuming. Number 2 son is applying as a transfer student this year. We'll start hearing from all of those schools in about a month. Ugh.

But I just closed one show last night after having a production meeting for my next show, Othello, yesterday morning. Anybody in the Boston area - we'll be playing in Cambridge parks in June.

Warning - braggy pants here - but I got a nice mention in this review (I played Eurydice) - https://www.rabbitreviewsboston.com/...-earth-theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    OK, changing the subject. I'm tired of thinking about college admissions. It's consuming. Number 2 son is applying as a transfer student this year. We'll start hearing from all of those schools in about a month. Ugh.

But I just closed one show last night after having a production meeting for my next show, Othello, yesterday morning. Anybody in the Boston area - we'll be playing in Cambridge parks in June.

Warning - braggy pants here - but I got a nice mention in this review (I played Eurydice) - https://www.rabbitreviewsboston.com/...-earth-theatre
    Congratulations! Wish I was closer so I could see some of your shows.

^^^ That's great BD! You are a talented woman!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Congratulations! Wish I was closer so I could see some of your shows.
    Aw - thanks! I'd settle for close enough to meet up for lunch every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Aw - thanks! I'd settle for close enough to meet up for lunch every once in awhile.
    That would be a great thing. I think I might still owe M&Ms to your youngest.

I've never been to Boston - I need to plan a trip.

Hot and humid here in the SA.

It seems everyone was in mourning in the OT.

So, that's over.

Hot and humid here in the SA.
    It isn't here. Glad it didn't make it below freezing as we had rain last night and this am. They are predicting a hard freeze (below 30 for 12 hours or more) tonight. Welcome to Kansas in the Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, that's over.
    The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

My brother, an Aviation Mechanic in the USMC, is currently in El Centro, CA for training exercises. Needless to say, I was terrified when I read the news of the USMC helicopter crash in El Centro this morning.

Luckily he was not involved, but he texted me this morning saying the crew was from a squadron that shares a hangar with them on the base. Incredibly sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    My brother, an Aviation Mechanic in the USMC, is currently in El Centro, CA for training exercises. Needless to say, I was terrified when I read the news of the USMC helicopter crash in El Centro this morning.

Luckily he was not involved, but he texted me this morning saying the crew was from a squadron that shares a hangar with them on the base. Incredibly sad situation.
    I understand your panic - felt the same when a sub was reported missing and Nephew Sam was on a sub (new report didn't mention nationality of the sub until halfway through their report.

Although I'm saddened by the loss of the four Marines, I'm glad your brother is ok. Thank your brother for his service, please.

Oh wow, glad your brother is OK. My father went through something similar when he heard about Sandy Hook. He heard Newton instead of Newtown, tried to call me, got no answer, called my mother in a panic and she reminded him that my youngest was in surgery that day anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I understand your panic - felt the same when a sub was reported missing and Nephew Sam was on a sub (new report didn't mention nationality of the sub until halfway through their report.

Although I'm saddened by the loss of the four Marines, I'm glad your brother is ok. Thank your brother for his service, please.
    Please add me to the list thanking him, and glad he is okay.

Anybody got any good news?

Happy to report that my college bound son has worked through his disappointment and is excited to visit the schools that accepted him.

And now we start hearing from the places that my number 2 son applied as a transfer student. What a fun spring! I'll be down to one kid at home come September. What will that be like, I wonder? My oldest just got an apartment so he's moving out, probably for good this time. He has a real job now and is planning to apply to graduate school for Fall 2019. (I got nothing to do with that, all him. Whew.)

I have an engine build that is now complete and gores to the dyno on Tuesday. Another engine should be dumped this week.

I will be in Europe for 5 weeks starting in late August

I have an engine build that is now complete and gores to the dyno on Tuesday. Another engine should be dumped this week.
    Awesome!