Page 1044 of 2384 FirstFirst ... 4454494499410341042104310441045104610541094114415442044 ... LastLast
Results 20,861 to 20,880 of 47668
  1. #20861
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For the first time in my life, I'm wondering why we follow this daylight savings time lunacy.
    You must be leaving for work in the dark instead of enjoying the extra hour of daylight in the evening.

  2. #20862
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    A nice rundown of life without DST

    I don't need sunrise before 5:00 am!

    -jk

  3. #20863
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    8:30am sunrise in January!!! Wanker that. Getting up in the dark is way, way, way more depressing than driving home from work in the dark. Plus - school children waiting for the school bus in the dark? Nope.

    I can't imagine it happening anytime soon, but, I think UTC is the answer.

  4. #20864
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    8:30am sunrise in January!!! Wanker that. Getting up in the dark is way, way, way more depressing than driving home from work in the dark. Plus - school children waiting for the school bus in the dark? Nope.

    I can't imagine it happening anytime soon, but, I think UTC is the answer.
    Maybe the difference is that I wake up in the dark 90% of the year. Ergo, it doesn't make a difference. The hour on the end of the day tho...

  5. #20865
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Maybe the difference is that I wake up in the dark 90% of the year. Ergo, it doesn't make a difference. The hour on the end of the day tho...
    I'm gonna guess your morning routing does not involve dragging teenagers out of bed. Either way, the safety aspects of having elementary school-aged children waiting in the dark for the school bus makes a complete switch to DST impractical. And all of that is before we mention those with religious practices determined by the sun.

  6. #20866
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm gonna guess your morning routing does not involve dragging teenagers out of bed. Either way, the safety aspects of having elementary school-aged children waiting in the dark for the school bus makes a complete switch to DST impractical. And all of that is before we mention those with religious practices determined by the sun.
    You guess correctly. Though the daily routine of my dogs is unphased by the time change.

    I just very much appreciate the hour after I get home to grill, walk, mow the lawn, wander around the neighborhood.

  7. #20867
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You guess correctly. Though the daily routine of my dogs is unphased by the time change.

    I just very much appreciate the hour after I get home to grill, walk, mow the lawn, wander around the neighborhood.
    What time do you get home?

  8. #20868
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mary's Place
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm gonna guess your morning routing does not involve dragging teenagers out of bed. Either way, the safety aspects of having elementary school-aged children waiting in the dark for the school bus makes a complete switch to DST impractical. And all of that is before we mention those with religious practices determined by the sun.
    In our corner of paradise, we drag our teenagers out of bed at 6AM. And DST has been pushed later in the fall, and starts earlier in the spring, that we're almost there anyway. In the rust belt, there will always be some point in the year when kids will be waiting in the dark in the morning - that's what streetlights are for!

    I think I'd like to try year-round DST and see if it would be better than the current system. Abolishing DST would be even worse. There would be a splurge of adding lights (and lots of NIMBY arguments) to fields and ballparks for baseball, lax, soccer, softball, etc. Coaches would have to be bailing out of work at 2 or 3PM for games / practices before it got dark; it was hard enough for me as it was.
    "Quality is not an option!"

  9. #20869
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    What time do you get home?
    Depends, but pretty regularly around five. We get sunlight til after seven p.m. now.

  10. #20870
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Depends, but pretty regularly around five. We get sunlight til after seven p.m. now.
    And I'm sure you spend at least 30-40 minutes fighting the Patton Ave traffic on your commute.

  11. #20871
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    And I'm sure you spend at least 30-40 minutes fighting the Patton Ave traffic on your commute.
    Ha.

    Ten minutes door to door for me.

  12. #20872
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    In our corner of paradise, we drag our teenagers out of bed at 6AM. And DST has been pushed later in the fall, and starts earlier in the spring, that we're almost there anyway. In the rust belt, there will always be some point in the year when kids will be waiting in the dark in the morning - that's what streetlights are for!

    I think I'd like to try year-round DST and see if it would be better than the current system. Abolishing DST would be even worse. There would be a splurge of adding lights (and lots of NIMBY arguments) to fields and ballparks for baseball, lax, soccer, softball, etc. Coaches would have to be bailing out of work at 2 or 3PM for games / practices before it got dark; it was hard enough for me as it was.
    None of those problems with UTC. You know what that is, right? If we ever colonize Mars, we will have to adopt it anyway, so, why not start now?

  13. #20873
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ...wander around the neighborhood.

    Yeeeeaaahhhh, okaaaaaaayyyyy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  14. #20874
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    None of those problems with UTC. You know what that is, right? If we ever colonize Mars, we will have to adopt it anyway, so, why not start now?
    Let's adopt UTC for local time! Sunrise (in DC, anyway) around 2am; sunset around 2pm!

    Um... woot? (Ick!)

    -jk

  15. #20875
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeeeeaaahhhh, okaaaaaaayyyyy.
    My neighbors are good friends and good fun. I even get along with the Tar Heels.

  16. #20876
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Let's adopt UTC for local time! Sunrise (in DC, anyway) around 2am; sunset around 2pm!

    Um... woot? (Ick!)

    -jk
    First of all, you switch to the 24 hour clock. 2 o'clock is 2 o'clock. What that means to you depends on where you live. It wouldn't necessarily be in the middle of the night. If it were near sunrise (at least part of the year), then you would come to associate 2 o'clock with time to get up. We didn't have clocks until the 1300s - prior to that, people did try to measure time intervals, but our concept of "what time is it" didn't really exist. Granted we need some kind of common time keeping in our global economy, but we could divorce our notion of what time is it from where is the sun if we tried and it would solve many of the problems associated with switching from one time zone to another. Alas, it would also take some of the fun out of New Year's Eve.

  17. #20877
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    In my world, it’s always Hammer time.
    “Fútbol is life!” — Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  18. #20878
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In my world, it’s always Hammer time.
    We can't touch that...

  19. #20879
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Eagles came to Indy last night and I caught the show. Vince Gill was a good addition.

  20. #20880
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Back in Vegas... again.
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Eagles came to Indy last night and I caught the show. Vince Gill was a good addition.
    Really? I'm a diehard Eagles fan and don't care for his sound with the band. Too twang-y for me.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •