Page 1041 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 4154194199110311039104010411042104310511091114115412041 ... LastLast
Results 20,801 to 20,820 of 67413
    Great!! Delighted for all our parents of college bound kids.

Get ready to shed some not so secret tears as these fledglings happily hop out of their nests.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Awesome! My elder kid got into engineering schools at Mason, Rutgers, and RIT - 3 for 3! Still waiting for said kid's decision...

-jk
    Cool! Congrats!

This weekend, I'm sitting down with Number 2 son who is going through the application process for a second time. He's applying as a transfer student. He's got his anxiety disorder under control. He's been living on his own this year, working at a part time job, and taking a class at the Harvard Extension School. He's taken classes there for 4 semesters now and has straight A's. We'll see if that balances out his mixed high school record and the disaster that was his one semester at Michigan State. He's only applying to schools withing a 3 hour drive from home and Duke. Because, of course he's applying to Duke. My mother will do his laundry too. Only thing though - dorm life is never going to work for him. No matter where he goes, he will be living off campus in his own apartment.

Good luck BosDev. Sending very positive vibes.

No power today out here in the boonies. It's definitely an extremely strong windstorm barreling through here.

weezie over and out to conserve phone power.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Good luck BosDev. Sending very positive vibes.

No power today out here in the boonies. It's definitely an extremely strong windstorm barreling through here.

weezie over and out to conserve phone power.
    That sucks!

We had heavy wind last night, so heavy it kept making my neighbor's car alarm go off.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That sucks!

We had heavy wind last night, so heavy it kept making my neighbor's car alarm go off.
    No joke. Happy no branches came through the roof.

The wind has arrived here today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    The wind has arrived here today.
    Nuh uh. We still have it. How can it be there too?

Things that I have learned do not mix well with bomb cyclone high winds:

- trash day, whether the bins are empty (and thus half a block down the road and/or in neighboring yards) or full (yikes)
    - home construction sites (specifically, shingle paper and silt fencing fabric)
    - 30+ year old wooden fences
    - plastic playhouse roofs
    - umbrella-topped patio furniture, whether the umbrella is open or closed.

Hoping not to add "old trees from neighboring properties" to the list before this thing blows itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post

- trash day, whether the bins are empty (and thus half a block down the road and/or in neighboring yards) or full (yikes)
    - home construction sites (specifically, shingle paper and silt fencing fabric)
    - 30+ year old wooden fences
    - plastic playhouse roofs
    - umbrella-topped patio furniture, whether the umbrella is open or closed.

Hoping not to add "old trees from neighboring properties" to the list before this thing blows itself out.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might be a new poster in the LTE. If so, welcome.

Also - 10 years and 2 months later and we're still getting newbies!!

Also - I just made my sons go grab the trash bins before they blew down the street. They were not amused.

Thank you for the kind welcome - I have enjoyed reading the LTE for quite a while, but you may be right, this may be my first post in it.

Also, literally as I typed, my wife confirmed that the neighbor's tree came down, so it appears I should start the Off-Topic, LTE anti-jinx thread . . . .

Thank you for the kind welcome - I have enjoyed reading the LTE for quite a while, but you may be right, this may be my first post in it.

Also, literally as I typed, my wife confirmed that the neighbor's tree came down, so it appears I should start the Off-Topic, LTE anti-jinx thread . . . .
    Did it hit your property? Hope it didn't do any significant damage!

Things I've received a free day off for in 6 years as a teacher:
    • actual snow
    • the threat of snow
    • extreme cold
    • threat of power outage due to hurricane winds
    • ice
    • today we can add wind

I enjoyed sleeping in this morning while my roommates got up to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Things I've received a free day off for in 6 years as a teacher:
    • actual snow
    • the threat of snow
    • extreme cold
    • threat of power outage due to hurricane winds
    • ice
    • today we can add wind

I enjoyed sleeping in this morning while my roommates got up to go to work.
    What - no heat? I guess schools are all air-conditioned now. Growing up in NC, there were a few times, early in the school year during that last week of August, where we got "heat days". (My elementary school did not have air-conditioning.)

What - no heat? I guess schools are all air-conditioned now. Growing up in NC, there were a few times, early in the school year during that last week of August, where we got "heat days". (My elementary school did not have air-conditioning.)
    In Virginia, unless you get a waiver from the state, you can't start school before Labor Day. My county has applied for and received a waiver for the last 2 years so we start the week before. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the AC goes out somewhere and they get a day off but since my school is one of the newer ones (opened 7 years ago) I doubt it will be us.

Yeah - so this is about a mile from where I live. It's also the street I have to drive down to get to rehearsal tonight. Rehearsal has been cancelled. Whew.

http://www.universalhub.com/2018/wat...e-down-cascade

And just to think, the PM97 family canceled trash service last week and have no empty bins out today.

Now, on the other hand, our mailbox blew into our new (6m old) car as my wife was checking the mail.

:/

Growing up in NC, there were a few times, early in the school year during that last week of August, where we got "heat days". (My elementary school did not have air-conditioning.)
    That was like '98 or '99?

So SWMBO and older kid went up to Rutgers for the admitted-student thingie today. Coming home, the Tydings bridge on 95 over the Susquehanna and its old-school mate, the Hatem bridge, were both closed for wind (and still are). They're working their way up to the Conowingo dam with everyone else trying to get somewhere...

Also, here in MoCo, about a third of all Pepco customers lost power today. Oddly, a nearby, newish townhome community (with buried feeds) was among them. So far, we've just lost cable/internet (at about 9am, alas - VZW keeping us going!). Our trashcans have been roaming around our (fenced) back yard all day. Around one corner, a neighbor's tree came down on their sunroom, and around the other a power line was pulled off a house along with some siding. Couldn't see what did the pulling.

Still blowing!

-jk