Page 1034 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 3453493498410241032103310341035103610441084113415342034 ... LastLast
Results 20,661 to 20,680 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Nice! And here I was proud of my 9 pounds.

What are your tips?
    Nine pounds is great!

What works for me:

1. Write down weight, and whether I exercised for at least half an hour, every day. I use the notebook on my iPhone. That keeps you accountable and you can track progress even when you plateau. I also track body fat % from my scale although electronic impedance is not terribly accurate.

2. Aim for at least five half-hour workouts a week. Cardio and resistance.

3. Try to drink 64 Oz of water every day.

4. No liquid calories besides coffee and skim milk (no soda, beer, juice or wine) except a glass of low-sodium V8 when I wake up.

5. Avoid simple carbs (white bread, white rice, chips, most breakfast cereals). I’m okay with potatoes though.

What is your approach?
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-10-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    What is your approach?
    Drink more beer?

As some may know, I live in the city where the Final Four will be this year. I've been remiss in not getting at least a ticket to the festivities. Should I get a ticket or not? Should I get it now or wait?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    As some may know, I live in the city where the Final Four will be this year. I've been remiss in not getting at least a ticket to the festivities. Should I get a ticket or not? Should I get it now or wait?
    Don't bother. It's over.

/s

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Don't bother. It's over.

/s
    Dang it, that's kinda what I thought.

FWIW, the last two events I've attended are the 2010 Final Four(Indy while I was living in Cincy) and the 2015 Sweet Sixteen(Houston while living here). So, I guess the real takeaway is shouldn't we all want me there?

...the real takeaway is shouldn't we all want me there?
    Absolutely. Count me in for you welcome grilled treats party. I'll bring the sparkling personality.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

FWIW, the last two events I've attended are the 2010 Final Four(Indy while I was living in Cincy) and the 2015 Sweet Sixteen(Houston while living here). So, I guess the real takeaway is shouldn't we all want me there?
    I thought with this statement y'all would have taken up a "Send YBT to the Final Four collection" already.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I didn't really watch the Carolina game. I checked the score a couple of times, but, I'm making good on my promise that wasn't really a promise, more a realization. The cheating scandal ended the rivalry for me. I can't watch UNC anymore. I always hated the sports teams but was proud that the public university in my native North Carolina had such a stellar academic reputation. They ruined that for me and lost my respect in the process. I hate that about the cheating scandal, but I don't really hate the team anymore, I just don't care. I have no desire to watch them, not even against Duke.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    The Harvard Crimson published a letter to the editor this week from a current student today questioning why Harvard has a football team given what we know now about CTE. I'm already on record predicting that the Ivies will give up football within 10 years.

Well, here come Lent.

The usual, no drinking, but also I think some more time swimming laps and trying to make the world a teensy bit easier for someone else by working at the food bank more often. And maybe not sharing my brilliant insights so much? Yeah, no, forget that one.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, here come Lent.

The usual, no drinking, but also I think some more time swimming laps and trying to make the world a teensy bit easier for someone else by working at the food bank more often. And maybe not sharing my brilliant insights so much? Yeah, no, forget that one.
    Nobody puts Weezie in the corner...

No one seemed interested in the separate thread I made asking about Austin tips, but folks here might be more forthcoming.

Headed to Austin next week to participate in my best friend's wedding. Have always heard great things about the town and have scheduled myself some extra time. Any ideas are welcomed!

Also, never been a best man before, so those tips are also welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No one seemed interested in the separate thread I made asking about Austin tips, but folks here might be more forthcoming.

Headed to Austin next week to participate in my best friend's wedding. Have always heard great things about the town and have scheduled myself some extra time. Any ideas are welcomed!

Also, never been a best man before, so those tips are also welcome.
    I think there weren't many replies due to not covering any new ground from prior posts.

Just make sure the groom shows up sober and alert for his wedding...

Well, here come Lent.

Every year, I give up my new year’s resolutions for Lent.

Even started early on it this year.

(Continuing my ban on drinking since NYE, although plan to break it Good Friday in Rome.)

...Just make sure the groom shows up sober and alert for his wedding...
    An extra shirt on hold for the groom might come in real handy.

Also, in your toast, don't say anything about former girlfriends the groom might have had and about how much nicer this bride is. Just leave that stuff in the vault. "Nothing but love for" the couple.

As far as Austin, went there for a regional game a few years back. Don't really remember much other that checking out the State House and then a blur of music and food.
    I enjoy being helpful! And I'm really not that good at it but it's a skill.

An extra shirt on hold for the groom might come in real handy.

Also, in your toast, don't say anything about former girlfriends the groom might have had and about how much nicer this bride is. Just leave that stuff in the vault. "Nothing but love for" the couple.

As far as Austin, went there for a regional game a few years back. Don't really remember much other that checking out the State House and then a blur of music and food.
    I enjoy being helpful! And I'm really not that good at it but it's a skill.
    He's a musician and I will be out for a couple of extra days to soak up the local food, drink, and scene. The wedding itself is at the renown Barton Springs, which is the place people seem to agree I shouldn't miss, so that's easy.

The extra shirt is a great tip - thanks. I'm not too concerned about the toast. I have a lot of genuine positive emotion in this situation, and I've never been one to get tight talking before people. Will probably use the plane ride to get some general notes down.

As the best man I feel it is my duty to get fairly tipsy, but I will wait until after I raise my glass to the bride and groom.
    Let's go Duke!

I’ve lost 13-14 pounds since January 1st. Not better looking, but less of me to ugly up the place.
    Nice! And here I was proud of my 9 pounds.

What are your tips?
    Nine pounds is great!

What works for me:

1. Write down weight, and whether I exercised for at least half an hour, every day. I use the notebook on my iPhone. That keeps you accountable and you can track progress even when you plateau. I also track body fat % from my scale although electronic impedance is not terribly accurate.

4. No liquid calories besides coffee and skim milk (no soda, beer, juice or wine) except a glass of low-sodium V8 when I wake up.

5. Avoid simple carbs (white bread, white rice, chips, most breakfast cereals). I’m okay with potatoes though.

What is your approach?
    Great job, fellas.
    I'm down 8 pounds after a late-ish start to my new year fitness/self-improvement project (didn't really get into the gym until around Jan. 15).
    I'm following a similar program to OPK's: no alcohol during the week, no candy (that's a more significant deduction than you might think), more general attention to what I eat, and a pretty robust workout program. Going on a month now, I've been doing about 35-40 minutes of resistance training and 20-25 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week. I've plateaued a little in recent days in terms of weight loss, but am seeing real results in terms of toning and just overall improvement in my physique.
    My goals are:
    1) Fit into my wedding tux, which is, um, ambitiously sized, owing to the fact that I ran a half marathon in the months before my wedding. My mother is getting remarried in about 3 weeks, and I want to look nice for her.
    2) Be prepared for the Highline Loop hike in Glacier National Park this June. It's almost 12 miles, with about 2000 feet of elevation gain, topping out at almost 7300 feet, so I gotta be ready. But I mean, wow:
    Highline.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great job, fellas.
    I'm down 8 pounds after a late-ish start to my new year fitness/self-improvement project (didn't really get into the gym until around Jan. 15).
    I'm following a similar program to OPK's: no alcohol during the week, no candy (that's a more significant deduction than you might think), more general attention to what I eat, and a pretty robust workout program. Going on a month now, I've been doing about 35-40 minutes of resistance training and 20-25 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a week. I've plateaued a little in recent days in terms of weight loss, but am seeing real results in terms of toning and just overall improvement in my physique.
    My goals are:
    1) Fit into my wedding tux, which is, um, ambitiously sized, owing to the fact that I ran a half marathon in the months before my wedding. My mother is getting remarried in about 3 weeks, and I want to look nice for her.
    2) Be prepared for the Highline Loop hike in Glacier National Park this June. It's almost 12 miles, with about 2000 feet of elevation gain, topping out at almost 7300 feet, so I gotta be ready. But I mean, wow:
    Highline.jpg
    Congrats, and sounds like worthy goals!

I track weight daily, so when I plateau I can still look back and see that I am down X since the beginning. It helps me to maintain the effort even though the immediate results of the day's efforts are not on the scale (and may not be in an appreciable way for a week or more). As you said, you get toner during those periods though. Kinda like a brisket stall at 160 degrees or so -- you know it's getting better even though the needle's not moving or even sliding back a tad.

Congrats to your mom, and send pictures from GNP. On my bucket list, I love Montana.

ETA: given that weight fluctuates throughout the day, and day-to-day depending on water retention, etc., I try not to get too hung up on the day-to-day swings. The point for me is seeing the steady if slow reduction over time. If I am stuck, I look back at where I was that same day three or four weeks ago -- and smile.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Nine pounds is great!

What works for me:

What is your approach?
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Great job, fellas.
    My goals are:
    Highline.jpg
    I actually started about the same time Wilson did, and I'm taking the same approach as him. No liquid calories, except for a few beers on the weekends. I have paid more attention to what I eat and have been counting calories. I have a treadmill and try jogging at least 2-2.5 miles 4-5 times a week. I have plateaued the last few days so I'll probably try to increase that some. I probably need to also give up some carbs, but that is hard to do for me.

I started at 219 and I'm now down to about 210.5. I'd like to be well under 200 by May for my trip to Budapest.

Oh, and Wilson, I was up in Alberta last May with the intention of going down to Glacier but unfortunately most of the park was still frozen - in late May. Hopefully by June it will be nice and warm!
    Last edited by mattman91; 02-13-2018 at 10:02 AM.

I actually started about the same time Wilson did, and I'm taking the same approach as him. No liquid calories, except for a few beers on the weekends. I have paid more attention to what I eat and have been counting calories. I have a treadmill and try jogging at least 2-2.5 miles 4-5 times a week. I have plateaued the last few days so I'll probably try to increase that some. I probably need to also give up some carbs, but that is hard to do for me.

I started at 219 and I'm now down to about 210.5. I'd like to be well under 200 by May for my trip to Budapest.

Oh, and Wilson, I was up in Alberta last May with the intention of going down to Glacier but unfortunately most of the park was still frozen - in late May. Hopefully by June it will be nice and warm!
    Similar to me, although I vary cardio with resistance. And am really mindful of simple carbs.

Started 1/1 at 180, down this morning to 165.8. Pretty much my target (164 puts my BMI just under 25; last year I got down to 158 but I don't want to get that low again). But carrying the no beer/wine/spirits through Lent since I already did the hard part of giving them up in the first place six weeks ago.