Page 101 of 2271 FirstFirst ... 5191991001011021031111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 45405
  1. #2001
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco

    Rick Wagoner

    Why have a speaker who represents a 20th century American company that is having trouble competing in the 21st century in a global economy? How inspiring is that for graduates?

  2. #2002
    I agree with BD, can't watch Chris Paul play. I was standing next to him at a community event in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 2006. It kept going through my head...cheap shot artist.

  3. #2003
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

    All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.
    As a member of the class of '84, I concur with gvtucker.

  4. #2004
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    As a member of the class of '84, I concur with gvtucker.
    Sorry, but I graduated in 1983 ... with a speech by Mary Duke Biddle Trent Seamans. At least I knew what Katherine Graham did. MDBTS scores lower than Graham.

    The most poignant graduation speech I saw was 2002 when Emory had a year when each honorary recipient spoke. They had two men from Atlanta (Lawrence Colburn and Hugh Thompson) get up and briefly speak from their hearts about the My Lai Massacre. Nothing but tears. Wow...

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 05-14-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: MDBTS

  5. #2005
    I heard the CEO of Bear Stearns gave the speech for Fuqua . . . is that true? There are so many possible jokes there I don't know where to start.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

  6. #2006
    This year, the UGA Graduation had Clarence Thomas as the speaker. Talk amongst yourselves.

  7. #2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, CA

    At least she was accomplished

    Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

    All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.

    Vance, 1984 was an improvement over my year, 1983! We had Mary
    Duke Biddle Trent Semans, whose accomplishment was being born very rich and staying that way.

    Added moments adter initial post: LOL, I responded to gvtucker before seeing that Lavabe had beaten me to the punch. Sorry, classmate!
    Last edited by AtlBluRew; 05-14-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: saw another relevant post
    No soup for you!

  8. #2008
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDuke03 View Post
    I would love to have had Rick Wagoner. We had in my year (2003) Nan Keohane reading excerpts from a speech Kofi Annan was supposed to give but couldn't because he was "sick."
    As a fellow '03 I concur.

  9. #2009
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Thumbs up A fellow 1983'er in Atlanta?

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Vance, 1984 was an improvement over my year, 1983! We had Mary
    Duke Biddle Trent Semans, whose accomplishment was being born very rich and staying that way.

    Added moments adter initial post: LOL, I responded to gvtucker before seeing that Lavabe had beaten me to the punch. Sorry, classmate!
    Yes, but at least you knew how to spell all of her names!

  10. #2010
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDuke03 View Post
    I would love to have had Rick Wagoner. We had in my year (2003) Nan Keohane reading excerpts from a speech Kofi Annan was supposed to give but couldn't because he was "sick."
    Yeah, but we also got the honorary degree guy who did the rain dance. His speech (which was about 2 minutes and consisted largely of said rain dance) has to be one of the better ones in Duke history, judging from this thread.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  11. #2011
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    I went to the Winthrop College (Rock Hill, SC) graduation last Saturday (to watch my niece graduate!). They didn't have a guest commencement speaker. Wasn't on the schedule, no one was sick. The school president gave a few remarks, totaling less than 5 minutes - four at the beginning and one at the end. It was wonderful and no one missed what wasn't said!

    Winthrop should be an example to all schools.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  12. #2012
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    I graduated in the Madeleine Albright year ('04), and I really liked what she had to say, as did all of my family members.
    Certainly better than Michael Bloomberg, who spoke at my brother's 2003 Wake Forest graduation. Summary: "I'm so great. Now, let me tell you why..."

    [Shameless self-congratulation] My favorite graduation speaker was the guy who delivered the address at my high school graduation: me. [/Shameless self-congratulation]

  13. #2013
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.
    You, gvtucker, are smarter than I am. I couldn't remember her name.

    As a member of the class of '84, I concur with gvtucker.
    And devil84, I DO remember who I sat beside in Wally Wade during our graduation!

  14. #2014
    I know Bill Bradley spoke in '93 but don't remember a word. And H. Keith H. Brodie was sick for the darned thing.

    I think I am with Ozzie on this...my attitude at both graduations I have attenede(my own that is)was give me the darn degree and let me get outta here!

  15. #2015
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    And devil84, I DO remember who I sat beside in Wally Wade during our graduation!
    Well, at least you had yours at Wally Wade. 1983 was, I guess, the last year the grauation was held on East Campus.

    Ymo: After having sat through nine of the ones here in Atlanta, here are a few notes I've made:
    1) The speaker whose speech was the shortest was panned for going so fast. I want to say it was George Mitchell (before the baseball investigation). It was less than ten minutes.
    2) The speaker whose speech was the longest was panned for going to long. It was this year's speaker, Bernie Marcus (who reminded us about Home Depot many times). It was more than twenty minutes.
    3) Whenever the speaker is a "no-name," the students will complain in the student newspaper.
    4) Whenever the speaker is a "big name," the students will complain that they want someone more liberal or conservative.
    5) One year, the president of the univeristy wanted to give the talk. The students complained. The president listened.
    6) One year, Tom Brokaw, as suspected, was great. Oddly enough, we appeared in NBC Nightly News' end of the graduation season compendium of speeches. Go figure!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 05-15-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Redundancy

  16. #2016
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I went to the Winthrop College (Rock Hill, SC) graduation last Saturday (to watch my niece graduate!). They didn't have a guest commencement speaker. Wasn't on the schedule, no one was sick. The school president gave a few remarks, totaling less than 5 minutes - four at the beginning and one at the end. It was wonderful and no one missed what wasn't said!

    Winthrop should be an example to all schools.
    Hey Ozzie-I teach at Winthrop, but grad students, so I don't go to undergrad commencement. I'll have to ask around today and see if that was planned. Usually, there is a speaker (never at grad commencement, which is totally cool). I wish I had known...another Blue Devil in the territory here is always a plus.

  17. #2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Well, at least you had yours at Wally Wade. 1983 was, I guess, the last year the grauation was held on East Campus.

    Ymo: After having sat through nine of the ones here in Atlanta, here are a few notes I've made:
    1) The speaker whose speech was the shortest was panned for going so fast. I want to say it was George Mitchell (before the baseball investigation). It was less than ten minutes.
    2) The speaker whose speech was the longest was panned for going to long. It was this year's speaker, Bernie Marcus (who reminded us about Home Depot many times). It was more than twenty minutes.
    3) Whenever the speaker is a "no-name," the students will complain in the student newspaper.
    4) Whenever the speaker is a "big name," the students will complain that they want someone more liberal or conservative.
    5) One year, the president of the univeristy wanted to give the talk. The students complained. The president listened.
    6) One year, Tom Brokaw, as suspected, was great. Oddly enough, we appeared in NBC Nightly News' end of the graduation season compendium of speeches. Go figure!

    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Hmm, I must have been in the indifferent camp. Given the disparity of notes you have made, it would appear to me that the vocal minority is running the show and that the vocal minority changes constantly.

  18. #2018
    Okay, BD, are we ready to call this one done?

  19. #2019
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    With less than 100 posts to reach 2000? I think not.

    Hmmm, what haven't we talked about yet?

  20. #2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I
    Certainly better than Michael Bloomberg, who spoke at my brother's 2003 Wake Forest graduation.
    I graduated from Wake many moons ago, and the speaker was Tom Clancy. He was fantastic. Friend of the family of some guy in my class or something.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •