Page 100 of 2331 FirstFirst ... 509098991001011021101502006001100 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 46615
  1. #1981
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Perhaps true, but, sadly, even if you make the mistake when you're 18 there are some things you can't live down. I didn't say I wanted to remember the cheap shot everytime I watch him play but that doesn't mean I can stop it. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong and if he goes his whole career without another cheap shot I will change my mind about him, perhaps. But for now, I think of him as a guy who would pull something like that and I do expect it to happen again.

  2. #1982
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Maryland

    Graduation Speakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Now let's teach our two new, high jumping players to rebound and make foul shots and things could very bright next season. I'm happy with our roster for next year and hope everyone else is too. Remember things could always be alot worse. I overheard one person at this weekends' graduation after the keynote speech turn to a family member who was complaining constantly about the weather and told him "And you thought the weather was bad!"
    Implying that the speech sucked? (Which it did, if you're talking about the one delivered by B. Kingsolver.)

  3. #1983
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    I think it is fair to say that it should be in consideration for label of "worst graduation speech of all time."

  4. #1984
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think it is fair to say that it should be in consideration for label of "worst graduation speech of all time."
    wow...I didn't catch the speech in question, but the competition for "worst graduation speech of all time" is pretty stiff.

  5. #1985
    Had to be bad to best former President George Bush's commencement address in 1998.

  6. #1986

    tell me more!

    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    wow...I didn't catch the speech in question, but the competition for "worst graduation speech of all time" is pretty stiff.
    So we're COMPLETELY off topic now but could someone please provide the Cliffs Notes version? I'm intrigued.

  7. #1987

    New board software

    Looks like we moved up to a new version of the board software. What should loyal DBR readers expect (aside from a subtly changed posting interface and a dramatically changed User CP)?

  8. #1988
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Looks like we moved up to a new version of the board software. What should loyal DBR readers expect (aside from a subtly changed posting interface and a dramatically changed User CP)?
    I was trying to search earlier today, and one no longer has to answer correctly a Duke-related question. One simply has to type the string of characters in a field to the right.

    The trouble is, I kept getting a message stating that I did not answer the question correctly. HUH? Did I just hit it at a bad time?

    On the bright side, it's a little easier to post links within a message.

    Would still like some of the emoticons from snrubchat...

    Looks like an improvement.

    Cheers,
    Lavabe

  9. #1989
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Is tagging new? I added some to the thread I started

  10. #1990
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    Worst graduation speech? Where I used to teach many moons ago, we had Henry Kissinger. His remarks might have actually been interesting if you could have stayed awake through the drone. Sad, actually.

  11. #1991
    How about Ken Starr giving a 1.5 hour speech on Whitewater for graduation. That was piss poor.

  12. #1992
    Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

    All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.

  13. #1993
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    Practically every Duke graduate thinks that their graduation speech was the worst of all time.

    All course, all of y'all are wrong, unless you were in my graduating class. 1984, Katharine Graham.
    At the very least most of the people listed above were interesting people. I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...

    In my opinion, Duke has really been whiffing on graduation speakers the last few years, setting aside how good a speaker they actually are.

  14. #1994
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post

    In my opinion, Duke has really been whiffing on graduation speakers the last few years, setting aside how good a speaker they actually are.
    I concur

  15. #1995
    On a more positive note, I thought the student speakers did an excellent job.

  16. #1996
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MKE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...
    Yeah, but he's got a replica of Coach K court in his house. So at least he's got that going for him.

  17. #1997
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I understand there were many "memorable" graduation speeches in the past but this years may have raised (lowered) the bar to a record that may stand for centuries.

  18. #1998
    Duke doesn't get as many high profile speakers because they don't pay for them. Even small schools like Middlebury got Bill Clinton a couple years ago because they pay big bucks. Although admittedly we did get Kofi Annan (although I think he didn't end up showing) and Madeline Albright fairly recently. Our last four speakers were only because of their relation to Duke. Ricardo Lagos, President of Chile, got his PhD at Duke. John Hope Franklin is a Duke professor. Rick Wagoner, CEO of GM, is a Duke grad, a Duke father, on the board of trustees (or used to, at least), and is head of financial aid initiative. And Barbara Kingsolver is a Duke parent (daughter is class of 2009). Her speech was pretty political at times - went on and on about green energy for a while. I think Wagoner was much better. I think last year's student speaker (the Blue Devil mascot) was better than the student speakers this year as well. Although the students this year were good as well, just not as good. Do they really need such a long introduction from Lange though? Sorry for continuing the hijacking of this thread....

  19. #1999
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    If I mentioned that "W" will be the commencement speaker at Furman this year will that move it to the Public Policy board?

    It's true and some interesting discussions are developing among the faculty and students.

  20. #2000
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    At the very least most of the people listed above were interesting people. I don't know who gave this year's address, but 2007 was the GM CEO. Uh...

    In my opinion, Duke has really been whiffing on graduation speakers the last few years, setting aside how good a speaker they actually are.
    I would love to have had Rick Wagoner. We had in my year (2003) Nan Keohane reading excerpts from a speech Kofi Annan was supposed to give but couldn't because he was "sick."

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •