Page 1562 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 56210621462151215521560156115621563156415721612166220622562 ... LastLast
Results 31,221 to 31,240 of 67399
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Did you throw peanuts at me?
    And why were they throwing peanuts?

That doesn't sit well with me. Was it supposed to be funny? Hmmmmm...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

My tirade against the gender reveal was brought on by the stories that yet another gender reveal fiasco has led to a wildfire doing mult-million dollars worth of damage. People - it has happened before!!!!!!!!! (Preventative measures for these things were actually on the books in more than one state but they were removed due to pressure from a certain group that shall remain nameless because it will get into PPB material.)
    one might think that a gender reveal party (as lame as that may be) could be held without pyrotechnics...I guess tea and cookies are Olde School?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...I guess tea and cookies are Olde School?
    Not as old school as actually pushing a baby out and finding out whether it is a boy or a girl then.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And why were they throwing peanuts?

That doesn't sit well with me. Was it supposed to be funny? Hmmmmm...
    The Duke cheerleaders used to award a "spirit keg" to the dorm group, frat, or sorority that showed the most spirit at home football games. This practice was still in existence my freshman year, but, as the drinking age was about to go up from 18 to 19 in NC, my freshman year was the last year of the spirit keg. I don't think we knew that at the time, but we did know it was the last home game. Aycock was a fantastic dorm that was, unfortunately, ruined by the move to all freshman housing. A house meeting was held near the end of the season and the dorm decided to go all out for that last spirit keg as it had not been won by an all female living group/sorority that season. We had t-shirts made up (Aycock - The Up and Coming Dorm). We made signs that spelled out A-Y-C-O-C-K. (I was the first C.) We had our own cheer - Give me an 'A', Give me a 'Y', Give me a 'COCK'. There was a rather wonderful picture taken of this madness that hung in the Alumni House for years. We had only two real competitors that day, G-A and one of the frats, forget which one. The frat conceded victory relatively early in the game but G-A continued to be something of a threat. By the second half, it was clear we had the inside track unless desperate measures were taken. I mean really, how do you compete with a bunch of co-eds screaming Give me an 'A', Give me a 'Y', Give me a 'COCK'? Their last gasp counterattack was to chant 'Eat Our Nuts' while pelting us with peanut shells. At that point, the frat, bless them, decided to pick a side and began chanting 'Spirit Keg to Those Girls' and staring down any remaining G-A residents who were still throwing peanut shells. To answer your question, yes, it was supposed to be funny. We laughed. At them. ;-)

And

We won the last ever spirit keg.

When you can get 100 women on the same page with the same goal? Yeah. Nobody else stood a chance.

I'm going to claim selective memory. As G-A dorm president that very year - and a perfect attendance record for Duke home football games across my college career, you'd think I'd remember.

Because that certainly sounds memorable. And we'd do all manner of crazy for a keg of Schlitz Malt Liquor "The Bull".

Whatever happened to that early '80s keg party staple? Or is that a different thread?
    Last edited by BlueTeuf; 09-08-2020 at 05:26 PM. Reason: childish spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I'm going to claim selective memory. As G-A dorm president that very year - and a prefect attendance record for Duke home football games across my college career, you'd think I'd remember.

Because that certainly sounds memorable. And we'd do all manner of crazy for a keg of Schlitz Malt Liquor "The Bull".

What ever happened to that early '80s keg party staple? Or is that a different thread?
    G-A did win at least one, and maybe more, of the previous spirit kegs that season.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not as old school as actually pushing a baby out and finding out whether it is a boy or a girl then.
    After going into delivery for their fourth kid, my grandmother asked my uncle, "Boy or girl"? A somewhat stunned, "Yes."

They had surprise twins, back when ultrasounds were still new and only for high risk pregnancies. My aunt had already had 3 healthy pregnancies, got larger each time than the time before. Got larger the fourth time, no obvious risk factors. Surprise!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post

Whatever happened to that early '80s keg party staple? Or is that a different thread?
    Schaefer was the flavor du jour by the early 90s.

Not much action on the Ticket Exchange board these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Not much action on the Ticket Exchange board these days.
    That's sad.

I just messaged all the women of Aycock that are also my FB friends. We have a budding plan to recreate winning the last spirit keg ever someday when going to Duke football games is something you can do. Next fall would be the 40th anniversary.

I just messaged all the women of Aycock that are also my FB friends. We have a budding plan to recreate winning the last spirit keg ever someday when going to Duke football games is something you can do. Next fall would be the 40th anniversary.
    Am admiring your energy. Should I pitch in by sponsoring the peanuts?

Are you going to do your cheer again? B/c that was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Are you going to do your cheer again? B/c that was awesome!
    Maybe? I would say absolutely but they have changed the name of the dorm because, unfortunately, Governor Aycock was a rather virulent racist. He was a great believer in education, including women, but only for white people. So, I would defer to the women of color in the group - their call.

Maybe? I would say absolutely but they have changed the name of the dorm because, unfortunately, Governor Aycock was a rather virulent racist. He was a great believer in education, including women, but only for white people. So, I would defer to the women of color in the group - their call.
    Considering what you are doing to his name . . . I say go for it!

Good morning!

Yeah, I've got nothing to add.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Considering what you are doing to his name . . . I say go for it!
    Good point.

Just had breakfast with a good friend and inspirational character. Always makes the day better

Loading up the cars and heading out to my new area code.

It's been real, 828.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Loading up the cars and heading out to my new area code.

It's been real, 828.
    Safe travels!