Page 2045 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 104515451945199520352043204420452046204720552095214525453045 ... LastLast
Results 40,881 to 40,900 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

I’ve also discovered I enjoy dad stuff and go splitsy on all the baby duties, which my wife appreciates to no end. She comes from an old school Scottish family and dad has never changed a diaper, done laundry, cooked a meal, etc in his life.
    My wife has had a high pressure job with long hours for 12 years. And before that she worked nights and I worked days, so we shared baby/kid duty. I was usually the one lone dad on play dates, dance lessons and school trips. That has been incredibly rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Still interviewing for my replacement. My coworkers all agree on the same person...and I have my reservations. Which means we will definitely hire him. I made them mad when I suggested that they all have the tendency to like people who are like them but that we need some fresh ideas and we need to make an outside the box hire because we tend towards ideological purity. This was NOT well received.
    Having managed in this scenario, the success of that outside the box person is highly dependent on the malleability of the culture and the tolerance of the individual for dealing with petty BS. Just because you can handle that pettiness does not mean that they can.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Having managed in this scenario, the success of that outside the box person is highly dependent on the malleability of the culture and the tolerance of the individual for dealing with petty BS. Just because you can handle that pettiness does not mean that they can.
    Wow. That is really good feedback and that really gives me pause. There is a world where I would think I was bringing in an ally, when in reality I am sentencing someone to absolute misery. Thank you.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Time to make the donuts, ummm, I mean Pop Tarts.
    Sometimes it feels like I'm the dealer that got Ymo hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Oh he could stop any time he wants. But Ymo's mama didn't raise a quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Wow. That is really good feedback and that really gives me pause. There is a world where I would think I was bringing in an ally, when in reality I am sentencing someone to absolute misery. Thank you.
    It can work, honesty about the situation up front and consistent support are needed. Don't let them go in blind. All this is just my opinion. I'm an evolutionary not a revolutionary. I'd look for areas where they can help make quick, easy wins. That will make future gains a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Everyone needs a side hustle...

i've already walked the dog, unclogged a drain, deployed MASSIVE amounts of potting soil for my lovely wife (today is Window Box Day, a big deal here), mowed the second half of the lawn (the heat surprised me yesterday), so who's the hero around here? And the day has barely started.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    i've already walked the dog, unclogged a drain, deployed MASSIVE amounts of potting soil for my lovely wife (today is Window Box Day, a big deal here), mowed the second half of the lawn (the heat surprised me yesterday), so who's the hero around here? And the day has barely started.
    The Army would be proud...

It can work, honesty about the situation up front and consistent support are needed. Don't let them go in blind. All this is just my opinion. I'm an evolutionary not a revolutionary. I'd look for areas where they can help make quick, easy wins. That will make future gains a little easier.
    I am in the iconoclastic, bomb-throwing incendiary mold. There were two of us and putting on armor for battle everyday chewed my friend up and she left because she was miserable. I am aghast that I might burn someone else up. I do this every day and go to bed thinking about what an amazing job I have and how fulfilled I am. But I may be trying to fit a nice, normal person into being my partner in crime and there probably aren't that many people who would derive pleasure from this job the way I do.

^ yes, I've had a Shock and Awe morning!

plus the A/C we got installed last year but never got to use (since the A/C guys were backed up well into the Fall) actually works! Needed it last night...heat pump technology!

At the car dealer, hopefully they will be done soon...

At the car dealer, hopefully they will be done soon...
    they'll be done as soon as they drain your bank account. If they approach with the Clipboard of Death wearing a sad, sad look, you're toast.

they'll be done as soon as they drain your bank account. If they approach with the Clipboard of Death wearing a sad, sad look, you're toast.
    Which is precisely why I never take my car to the dealer for anything but my "free" oil and filter change. And even then, I tell them to leave my air pressure and filters alone. I can do that myself, and they always over inflate my tires.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Which is precisely why I never take my car to the dealer for anything but my "free" oil and filter change. And even then, I tell them to leave my air pressure and filters alone. I can do that myself, and they always over inflate my tires.
    Having a trustworthy neighborhood mechanic is such a godsend. I have an honest, affordable, fast auto shop less than a mile from my house and it's really wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Having a trustworthy neighborhood mechanic is such a godsend. I have an honest, affordable, fast auto shop less than a mile from my house and it's really wonderful.
    We do too, right down the road. But the Honda guy is getting older and I'm afraid he will retire soon. The others seem to be very honest as well, but I always worry..

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    We do too, right down the road. But the Honda guy is getting older and I'm afraid he will retire soon. The others seem to be very honest as well, but I always worry..
    I'm pretty thankful to be driving a very straightforward Chevrolet with a motor that's been in production in its current form for like 25 years (and precursor forms for a good bit longer than that). Not much to puzzle anybody on my automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    yes, you HAVE to have a trusted non dealer guy..and for many cars, like my Volvo, it's good to have a guy who works on that kind of car exclusively, as a lot of brands have idiosyncrasies..

Couple years ago, my dreaded ABS light came on, honest but non Volvo specific local guy figured it was the ABS control module, hundreds of bucks...but I sashayed over to The Swedish Pit, they figured out it was a wee sensor on the wheel, cost me $50.

Time to make the donuts, ummm, I mean Pop Tarts.
    A recent New Yorker has a big article on the Swedish Disgusting Food Museum...some truly horrific stuff, and one of the selections from the United States is Pop Tarts.

A recent New Yorker has a big article on the Swedish Disgusting Food Museum...some truly horrific stuff, and one of the selections from the United States is Pop Tarts.
    It's always interesting to me what staples in some countries are considered disgusting in others.
    For example, most of the rest of the world thinks the idea of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich is horrific.