Page 777 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 27767772776777577677777877978782787712771777 ... LastLast
Results 15,521 to 15,540 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Because we enjoy language, and words, and appreciate when they're used cleverly or in a novel way or, at bare minimum, logically. So, redundancy and overuse becomes annoying, and we feel a little sense of sorrow when a nice, innocent word like "literally" comes to be commonly used to mean "figuratively" instead. Because it's lazy and/or confusing and reminds us of our basic human coarseness and imperfection, when we'd rather be reminded of our cleverness and creativity.

Seriously, though, no one here is all that serious about being a pedant (although I'd love to debate at some point whether caring about word meaning and grammar is "reinforcing an artifical hierarchy," or whether any hierarchy can be artificial, or to what degree reinforcing it is necessarily bad). We're just expressing pet peeves, mostly based on overusage. Some phrases become banal and should be put out to pasture. Does it not connote laziness and sheeplike lack of originality that every sports team fanbase now refers to itself as "________ Nation?" It's hackneyed. Likewise, Sage has a legitimate gripe regarding the word "iconic" - it's been applied to so many things/people that it has effectively lost any real meaning beyond "unique" or "old and well-known." Expansion of or shift in meaning is easier to accept, I think, in the evolution of language, than corrosion of meaning is. "Iconic" was a nice, precise word with a very specific connotation which recognized its religious origins. Now it's tired, means nothing, and has lost any connection to its own past. I think that's too bad.

Similarly, when a word becomes a verbal tic, devoid of actual meaning in a sentence, some of us just get tired of hearing it. Even worse, when common usage evolution of a word occasionally leads to it being used to denote its generally accepted antonym, it's irritating.
    Thank you. This is well thought out and beautifully written.

What would you do if you actually Caught 22?

i could use a little less of the word "epic" as well....

but AWESOME is pretty awesome
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You might Slaughter House Five.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You might Slaughter House Five.
    Like Billy Pilgrim, I too have become unstuck in time.

See the cat? See the cradle?

Ice Nine for everyone!

(Yes, I know those are two different books. And so it goes.)

Colonel Cathcart would just raise it to Catch-30.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Colonel Cathcart would just raise it to Catch-30.
    Major Major Major Major would tank, then climb out the window.

Ignatius J. Reilly would call, but for his pyloric valve problems.

But again, I digress.

The "Issue: Question?" structure sounds like it belongs on a magazine cover.

Beef Brisket

Cooked a 3 lb. brisket last week.

I vacuum sealed the thing with a little olive oil, worcestershire, salt, pepper, and a cajun dry rub that I get from my local farmer's market.

Waited a week.

Browned the outside on the stove top in my 7 1/4 qt. Le Creuset, filled it half way with stock and stuck it in the oven at 325 for about 3 hours.

Took it out and put it on a cutting board. It was falling apart.

Put the Le Creuset back on the stove top on high heat. Added ketchup, vinegar, salt, pepper, sriracha, and brown sugar, and stirred like a madman to make my own "BBQ" sauce with the drippings from the cooking.

I highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    The "Issue: Question?" structure sounds like it belongs on a magazine cover.

How ironic. I have not read Time in years even in the barbershop and dentist's office, although it is iconic, isn't it?

Pumpkin spice. New M&Ms flavor. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pumpkin spice. New M&Ms flavor. Discuss.
    Seasonal, I hope? Any beer go well with 'em?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Seasonal, I hope? Any beer go well with 'em?

-jk
    I'd guess they are a seasonal flavor. Maybe one of the hundreds of pumpkin ale variations that inundate the shelves every August, September and October would go well with them. Strange, I don't like beer much, if any, with candy, but enjoy matching brews with other different foods. I'd guess a porter or stout would be the beer style that would pair reasonably well with them.

Giants, you make me sad and frustrated.

I like the lake!

Navy Yard shootings. Poor souls may they rest in peace...

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Thanks so much Sage for posting this. It surely seems as if there is a rule that 'iconic' has to be used on TV at least once per hour on all the news and entertainment channels over the past few months.
    When one news reporter described a photo being iconic about an event from the night before, I just about threw my cell phone at the TV.
    Arrgghh.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Chris Jansing on MSNBC just referred to the NJ boardwalk fire's beginning at "an iconic frozen custard stand." Puh-leese!!!

sagegrouse

Like Billy Pilgrim, I too have become unstuck in time.

See the cat? See the cradle?

Ice Nine for everyone!

(Yes, I know those are two different books. And so it goes.)
    So it goes.

iPhone Update

iOS 7.0 is a bit funky. This will be a fun change of pace for a minute, but overall, I think I prefer the previous look.

I wish people would stop using disrespect as a verb. Darn that band "The Offspring."