Page 484 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 3844344744824834844854864945345849841484 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,680 of 67381
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    3+ hours without a post. We need more PW'ing!
    How did that happen? I have work as an excuse - not that work has stopped me before.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I thought he didn't care.
    He also likes to skip and jump and press wild flowers...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    3+ hours without a post. We need more PW'ing!
    Yes, your majesty...

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    How did that happen? I have work as an excuse - not that work has stopped me before.
    It has stopped me before but only once or twice...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I will continue to learn from the master.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    OK, I watched the DVD. I'd rate the production as adequate and the acting as well. Had I been the director, I would have focused on the pacing. Pacing is extremely important to this particular play. It works much better when the pacing is right. This play is supposed to move, it's 'snappy repartee'. Then, at the end when it's supposed to slow it down just a bit, that's when the actors sped up. Oh well, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Not sure if I like the couch covered in white fabric. In the stage directions I make a point that it is NOT heaven and George and Dorothy are not angels.

Aside to Ymo, the pacing of Heartbreak Hill wasn't quite right either. I've discovered something about myself as a playwright, my stuff is supposed to move. I don't really write long dramatic pauses. Pinter, I ain't. Who is? But I'm not even Pinteresque.

By the way, if you are so inclined, my fund raising website

http://www.firstgiving.com/lisaburdick

One of my work colleagues has come up with the idea that I should start the Just 21 Club. All I need is a thousand people to donate 'Just 21' and I'll reach my goal. (I'm aiming high, don't let it scare you, my secondary goal is to be one of the first 5 team members to hit $5000.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    OK, I watched the DVD. I'd rate the production as adequate and the acting as well. Had I been the director, I would have focused on the pacing. Pacing is extremely important to this particular play. It works much better when the pacing is right. This play is supposed to move, it's 'snappy repartee'. Then, at the end when it's supposed to slow it down just a bit, that's when the actors sped up. Oh well, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. Not sure if I like the couch covered in white fabric. In the stage directions I make a point that it is NOT heaven and George and Dorothy are not angels.

Aside to Ymo, the pacing of Heartbreak Hill wasn't quite right either. I've discovered something about myself as a playwright, my stuff is supposed to move. I don't really write long dramatic pauses. Pinter, I ain't. Who is? But I'm not even Pinteresque.
    Maybe you're Amy Sherman-Palladino-like? I believe that one of the hallmarks of "Gilmore Girls" (one of my favorite TV shows ever!) is that they had significantly more dialog than most shows of similar length, and the pace was pretty rapid-fire.

I had another of those "I'm so lucky" moments at work today. I was sitting at a meeting with one of our collaborators, talking about a research project related to pediatric gliomas (brain tumors), when it hit me yet again that I made a very lucky escape from my last job. I went from doing menial work like washing glassware for a power hungry Supervisor Barbie to collaborating on really interesting research projects. After the meeting I made a point to thank my friend (for the bazillionth time!) for thinking of me for this job. I am blessed and lucky!

By the way, if you are so inclined, my fund raising website

http://www.firstgiving.com/lisaburdick

One of my work colleagues has come up with the idea that I should start the Just 21 Club. All I need is a thousand people to donate 'Just 21' and I'll reach my goal. (I'm aiming high, don't let it scare you, my secondary goal is to be one of the first 5 team members to hit $5000.)
    Done! Best of luck with your training, Bostondevil. Hope you have better luck this time with your knees!

How about a dollar for every post in the LTE? Come on, peeps, we can do it! It's for a great cause!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, that's happened before?

It's got to be difficult to watch someone else's interpretation of your work. Did they miss the point altogether regarding pacing? Or were they gearing to the audience? I'm not sure everyone out there is a fan of fast-paced dialog. Or maybe I think that because I'm a native Southerner. Thoughts?

Time to stop for a while to enjoy being Jay Bilas.
    Last edited by ArkieDukie; 01-26-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: status!

I'm a native Southerner too.

The main problem is the age of the characters. It's the rare 60+ actor who can really go at it. The main problem was remembering the lines. They didn't forget them but they didn't have them cold either. It takes more rehearsal time than a 10 minute play is usually going to get to bring older actors up to my preferred pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Done! Best of luck with your training, Bostondevil. Hope you have better luck this time with your knees!

How about a dollar for every post in the LTE? Come on, peeps, we can do it! It's for a great cause!

Oh AD, what a kind suggestion but peeps, I think that might be asking too much. Join the 'Just 21' Club if you can but don't worry about getting me to $9000 and counting!

Hmmm, 2 hrs between posts tonight. Where is everyone?

I know where *some* people were earlier. Ahem.

Ok I feel the need to PW.

I amuse myself sometimes.

I forgot to do laundry tonight. Oops.

Thanks goodness I have clean clothes still. Just wanted to get a jump start. Oh well so much for that.

I could empty the dishwasher, though. But maybe not. Maybe I'll go get some zzzzz's soon.

I'm pretty stoked about Part Deux.

Ok so all the PWing wasn't here in the LTE, but still. I've achieved 2535 status with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images