Page 1406 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 4069061306135613961404140514061407140814161456150619062406 ... LastLast
Results 28,101 to 28,120 of 67392
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Bob Dylan - though I like Edie Brickell's cover more than Bob's version.

Seriously? Not trying to be a jerk, but Bob Dylan’s version — which is the original, of course — absolutely destroys this pale lightweight imitation by Edie Brickell. Bob Dylan’s song was pure genuine heartfelt artistic genius. It can’t ever be topped. It’s not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Seriously? Not trying to be a jerk, but Bob Dylan’s version — which is the original, of course — absolutely destroys this pale lightweight imitation by Edie Brickell. Bob Dylan’s song was pure genuine heartfelt artistic genius. It can’t ever be topped. It’s not possible.
    It can and I know others who think so. You’ll find quite a few people who are fine with Dylan until he actual starts singing. I wonder what Paul Simon thinks?
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 06-07-2020 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

Did I post that I am enjoying Space Force on Netflix? Supposedly the reviews aren't great. I don't care, I like it.
    I finished it last week. I’m desperate for new content that isn’t violent and focused on death or crime. I’ve lamented a few times that the sitcom format is not what it used to be.

It can and I know others who think so. You’ll find quite a few people who are fine with Dylan until he actual starts singing. I wonder what Paul Simon thinks?
    There is always going to be a certain percentage of people who either don’t recognize or don’t appreciate (sometimes both) artistic genius.

Bob Dylan is the greatest singer-songwriter of all time. John Lennon is next. And Paul Simon is probably just behind those guys.

By the way, I like Edie Brickell and New Bohemians quite a lot. I still regularly listen to ‘Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars’ and ‘Ghost of a Dog’. I saw them in concert in Austin 30-ish years ago and it was a darn good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    There is always going to be a certain percentage of people who either don’t recognize or don’t appreciate (sometimes both) artistic genius.

Bob Dylan is the greatest singer-songwriter of all time. John Lennon is next. And Paul Simon is probably just behind those guys.

By the way, I like Edie Brickell and New Bohemians quite a lot. I still regularly listen to ‘Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars’ and ‘Ghost of a Dog’. I saw them in concert in Austin 30-ish years ago and it was a darn good show.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would concur with your list particularly with regards to songwriting. As for me personally, stylistically I favor early Springsteen.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would concur with your list particularly with regards to songwriting. As for me personally, stylistically I favor early Springsteen.
    Springsteen is right up there near the top for me. His first four albums are magical, and the next five (through ‘Tunnel of Love’) are very close to that level.

I saw him in concert in Austin in 1988 and it’s still one of my favorites — 29 songs and over three hours. Spectacular. But, oh how I wish I had been old enough to see him in the early days. That must have really been something special.

Before it gets hot, I should:

A. Go for a walk on the river.
    B. Go for a hike in the woods.
    C. Put the kayak on the car and hit the river.
    D. Who am I kidding? It’s already 75 degrees with 87% humidity. Go back to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Before it gets hot, I should:

A. Go for a walk on the river.
    B. Go for a hike in the woods.
    C. Put the kayak on the car and hit the river.
    D. Who am I kidding? It’s already 75 degrees with 87% humidity. Go back to bed.
    Only 73 and 75% here.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I have to go wake up my traveling companions.

When they gave the Nobel Prize in Literature to Bob Dylan, I realized that the Nobel Prize in Literature is a completely meaningless award. It's too late for Robertson Davies. I'm hoping Michael Ondaatje, although they did finally award a Canadian author, Alice Munro, so, kudos. Giving Ondaatje the prize will help bring me back into the fold of thinking that it is an award that matters. Maybe. The Dylan thing is a stain that will take awhile to wash away. Two American women have won the prize, Pearl Buck and Toni Morrison. No Edith Wharton or Alice Walker or Flannery O'Connor or Willa Cather or Paula Vogel, but, yeah, Bob Dylan. They'll probably give it to Sarah Ruhl someday just to spite me though.

I have to go wake up my traveling companions.

When they gave the Nobel Prize in Literature to Bob Dylan, I realized that the Nobel Prize in Literature is a completely meaningless award. It's too late for Robertson Davies. I'm hoping Michael Ondaatje, although they did finally award a Canadian author, Alice Munro, so, kudos. Giving Ondaatje the prize will help bring me back into the fold of thinking that it is an award that matters. Maybe. The Dylan thing is a stain that will take awhile to wash away. Two American women have won the prize, Pearl Buck and Toni Morrison. No Edith Wharton or Alice Walker or Flannery O'Connor or Willa Cather or Paula Vogel, but, yeah, Bob Dylan. They'll probably give it to Sarah Ruhl someday just to spite me though.
    Did Ondaatje not win? I guess it "only" won the Booker Prize.

The Nobels in some ways are like beauty contests. While a very different arena, car shows are clearly beauty contests. Those are what I have the most experience with. To the extent they don’t mean much to me Once I figured that out.

Tomorrow, T-Bone will be having an adventure without the Drewsk!
    Is he demanding his own series?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Apparently I missed something in the Laughter is the best medicine thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Must have been some strong medicine!

I missed it too.
    And it is open again. No explanation so the question is did it get closed by mistake or were offending posts deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    And it is open again. No explanation so the question is did it get closed by mistake or were offending posts deleted?
    Inquiring minds want to know...

Is he demanding his own series?
    He's holding out for more money. We told him we were paying his college tuition and that ought to be sufficient.

The Quarantine Adventures of T-Bone and the Drewsk.

T-Bone rides with his parents to the University of Vermont where they pack up his dorm room in record time. Arrival time at the dorm - 2:05. Departure time from the dorm 2:31. It would have been 2:28 except T-Bone forgot to drop off the room key and had to go back. Meanwhile The Drewsk took care of the youngest brother (who needs a nickname, his friends sometimes call him Sticks, let's go with that), meanwhile, The Drewsk was in charge of making sure Sticks had food and exercise. Panera Bread was involved as was a spirited game of H-O-R-S-E in the driveway. The round trip to Burlington and back took just under 10 hours.

He's holding out for more money. We told him we were paying his college tuition and that ought to be sufficient.
    Has he revealed his tactics yet?

The Quarantine Adventures of T-Bone and the Drewsk.

T-Bone rides with his parents to the University of Vermont where they pack up his dorm room in record time. Arrival time at the dorm - 2:05. Departure time from the dorm 2:31. It would have been 2:28 except T-Bone forgot to drop off the room key and had to go back. Meanwhile The Drewsk took care of the youngest brother (who needs a nickname, his friends sometimes call him Sticks, let's go with that), meanwhile, The Drewsk was in charge of making sure Sticks had food and exercise. Panera Bread was involved as was a spirited game of H-O-R-S-E in the driveway. The round trip to Burlington and back took just under 10 hours.
    Must have been going the speed limit the entire time...

Seems to me, they are just trying to drum up some business.