Page 1479 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 4799791379142914691477147814791480148114891529157919792479 ... LastLast
Results 29,561 to 29,580 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Does anyone use Audible.com?

I subscribed but have yet to download anything. Maybe when pollen levels, etc. die down in late September/October it may make sense for me as I will likely try and be outside moving more.
    I use the Apple audiobooks app a lot. I have listened to a lot of great books while taking long walks along the river on the weekends.

You can also get some great content in the Apple music library, like Joseph Campbell's complete lecture series and some of the Dan Carlin Hardcore History programs. I love both of those.

Pretty sure I did not cause the latest lockdown. But went back and read my posts to make sure.

This thread does go through slow spells.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Pretty sure I did not cause the latest lockdown. But went back and read my posts to make sure.
    The problem is that it's very windy over there on that exalted peak. Not you OPK but at times the gas levels become toxic. And boring
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

evidently I was a prime perp for suggesting something about Ms. Collins , i plead guilty...

I could posit who I think was responsible for the latest shutdown, but it would earn me a vacation.

I feel for Jason and the Mods (good band name, btw) for trying to keep that thread open and moving. Hard and thankless job. Most posters toe the line pretty well, even if we all get a little too relaxed with the rules sometimes.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    You can drop in on the Presidential thread a couple of times a month and get a quick take on what DBR posters are thinking. That's enough. Reading it everyday, for me, is boring.

I need to stick to just the LTE. And soon the TPTE.

Olympic National Park was serene as others have mentioned.

Reminded me of Hawaii in several different ways.

Rain gauge registered 4 inches yesterday. Flash flooding in the area. It is keeping the temperatures down.

Talking

4 inches would cause a lot of flooding here. We start to see issues with a couple inches of rain. We have a lot of limestone near the surface which doesn’t exactly absorb water quickly.

4 inches would cause a lot of flooding here. We start to see issues with a couple inches of rain. We have a lot of limestone near the surface which doesn’t exactly absorb water quickly.
    Some parts of the viewing area for the local TV stations got 6 - 9 inches. We have started to joke that the youth group will meet in your backyard for a donation to the mission trip fund. We have had torrential rain the last two meetings but other parts of town didn't get any. Wednesday evening one of the youth and I, with his parents, were meeting and it poured on us. So it may not take the whole youth group.

I need to stick to just the LTE. And soon the TPTE.
    Probably the best strategy.

I still have 6.1 miles to go today to finish the Massachusetts Virtual Endurance Challenge. Off to go walk a 10k right now. I've mostly walked it. It's just been too hot to run. It's probably not too hot for a run today but, I've got to do a 10k, so I'll walk the first half and then see how I feel.

From where I sit, we are on page 1459 of this thread. That's a Fibonacci sequence (and the last 4 digits of my phone number when I was growing up). If you ascribe to the theory of phone numbers as laid out by Douglas Adams in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the fact that I wound up with a career in math/statistics is directly related to me having a phone number that was a Fibonacci sequence when I was growing up. I certainly think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    From where I sit, we are on page 1459 of this thread. That's a Fibonacci sequence (and the last 4 digits of my phone number when I was growing up). If you ascribe to the theory of phone numbers as laid out by Douglas Adams in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, the fact that I wound up with a career in math/statistics is directly related to me having a phone number that was a Fibonacci sequence when I was growing up. I certainly think so.
    It's been awhile -- can you remind me of the theory?

BTW, I just ordered a mask with the cover of Hitchhiker's Guide on it. Don't Panic!

I still have 6.1 miles to go today to finish the Massachusetts Virtual Endurance Challenge. Off to go walk a 10k right now. I've mostly walked it. It's just been too hot to run. It's probably not too hot for a run today but, I've got to do a 10k, so I'll walk the first half and then see how I feel.
    Happy walking!

It's been awhile -- can you remind me of the theory?

BTW, I just ordered a mask with the cover of Hitchhiker's Guide on it. Don't Panic!
    Just that everything in life is actually determined by phone numbers. Apparently they are what make the infinite probability drive work (or something like that, it's been awhile since I read it too. I just remember phone numbers were really important and I agreed with the premise.)

Just that everything in life is actually determined by phone numbers. Apparently they are what make the infinite probability drive work (or something like that, it's been awhile since I read it too. I just remember phone numbers were really important and I agreed with the premise.)
    One of my favorite lines in a book comes early in the Guide:

"The Vorgon ship hovered in the air the way that bricks do not."