Page 1103 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1036031003105310931101110211031104110511131153120316032103 ... LastLast
Results 22,041 to 22,060 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I think I’ve got some 5 1/4” floppies around here somewhere. Hmm, hoe much was Windows 3.11 go for?
    3.5" were "micro" floppies. 5 1/4" were "mini". Anyone else ever worked with the original 8" floppies?

(Yeah, I'm old. My first "real" job in high school was working at Woofer (Woofer) and Tweeter (ᵀʷᵉᵉᵗᵉʳ) selling and supporting computers. 8" discs were mostly done even by then. And, yeah, I'm a lifer...)

-jk

I still work with 3.5” and even a few 5 1/4 floppies. The x-ray manufacturing industry was kinda late getting into computer driven equipment. And hospitals and clinics sometimes hold onto older equipment longer than advisable, due to budget concerns and the extremely high cost of replacement. I have to maintain two old laptops (one as a backup) with floppy drives in order to be able to continue working on these medical relics. I even bought 2 external floppy drives so that I can continue with a new laptop when my old laptops crap out.

And, yes, I still live in a cave and hunt woolly mammoths.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    3.5" were "micro" floppies. 5 1/4" were "mini". Anyone else ever worked with the original 8" floppies?
    Yes. I worked for a Beltway bandit and we were doing mainframe database work. For the project, they ran a line from the Pentagon into our building, into a dedicated room, and installed an IBM controller on a shelf in the corner. A bunch of dumb terminals were then connected into the controller using coax. The thing booted up with those big floppies, and I seem to remember updating and saving our configuration to floppy as part of the process. It was essentially a router, only noisy, black, ugly, and the same size as a large microwave oven.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Whew, feeling better that while I may still yell at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn, I'm not the eldest here.

Really wet in DC - we just set the record for our all-time wettest year this morning! And, as I understand, before this storm, we had our second longest dry spell of the year - all of 12 days! And more than half our weekends have been washed out. Yeah, it's been a wet year - but my basement stayed dry! (Win!)

And my 15yo kiddo is running a first-ever half-marathon tomorrow morning. I'm guessing it'll be really damp, even if the rain stops (however unlikely that might be).

Determination!

(Just think if this system had been snow!)

-jk

The office Christmas party evoking memories of middle school.

The office Christmas party evoking memories of middle school.
    Office cohorts running around hopped up on candy canes and faces covered in cookie crumbs?

(Ok there's your straight line, Ymo...)
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Office cohorts running around hopped up on candy canes and faces covered in cookie crumbs?

(Ok there's your straight line, Ymo...)
    The band was Journey. Open Arms was played at many an 8th grade dance.

Hope she says yes

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Hope she says yes
    Good luck!

Hope she says yes
    Oh matty!!! We can't wait! Of course she'll cry and say yes!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Hope she says yes
    Dude!

Hope she says yes
    She would be a fool not to.

Once again, the Kia holiday commercials are the most ear-worm annoying on the teevee.

It's a sign of my insanity that I notice such things but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Once again, the Kia holiday commercials are the most ear-worm annoying on the teevee.
    1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids
    K-A-R-S Kars for Kids
    1-8-7-7 Kars for Kids
    Donate your car today.

I really don't want to hate an organization that, I guess, helps kids or something. I never hear the whole commercial because I am clawing at my eardrum like a rabid squirrel every time this comes on the radio.

Having tough personal times. Please send good vibes. Thankful for this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Having tough personal times. Please send good vibes. Thankful for this community.
    {{{{{{{{{{{warm peaceful vibes}}}}}}}}}}

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    —-peaceful easy feelings—-

Pulling for you Mt Man!

—-peaceful easy feelings—-
    Along this line of thinking, here's my go to after a difficult day:

https://youtu.be/mSScV6Rt_6s

You got this Mtn man. Lighten up while you still can!

Unless you're like The Dude and hate the Eagles, then I'd suggest:

https://youtu.be/6WtGu1jfQac