Page 2187 of 2396 FirstFirst ... 1187168720872137217721852186218721882189219722372287 ... LastLast
Results 43,721 to 43,740 of 47910
  1. #43721
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Someone seriously got annoyed at me for referencing that song when I used the word "irony" and scolded me because those things aren't actually ironic. I still don't understand.
    She copped to it (excuse the lack of hyper in my link).

    https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/05/alanis-morissette-recognizes-its-not-ironic/481875/

  2. #43722
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Someone seriously got annoyed at me for referencing that song when I used the word "irony" and scolded me because those things aren't actually ironic. I still don't understand.
    It's the smarmy "Well actually" crowd.

  3. #43723
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    She copped to it (excuse the lack of hyper in my link).

    https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...ironic/481875/
    Forgive my obtuseness, but what is it? Is there a word for what she's singing about? Or should the song be called "Isn't it a coincidence?"
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  4. #43724
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Forgive my obtuseness, but what is it? Is there a word for what she's singing about? Or should the song be called "Isn't it a coincidence?"
    Bummers. But a damn good song regardless and I think we give her artistic license.

  5. #43725
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Bummers. But a damn good song regardless and I think we give her artistic license.
    Whenever I hear that song, I provide a sung chorus of "bummer".

  6. #43726
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Bummers. But a damn good song regardless and I think we give her artistic license.
    From Wiki...

    Morissette said: "For me the great debate on whether what I was saying in 'Ironic' was ironic wasn't a traumatic debate. I'd always embraced the fact that every once in a while I'd be the malapropism queen. And when Glen and I were writing it, we definitely were not doggedly making sure that everything was technically ironic." In 2014, Michael Reid Roberts wrote a defense of the song for Salon, saying that it cites situational ironies: the "state of affairs or event[s] that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result". Michael Stevens of the YouTube channel Vsauce devoted time to the discussion of irony in the 2014 episode "Dord". In this video, Stevens considers the difference between the typically cited "situational" irony, versus "dramatic" irony. According to him, the irony of the song may not necessarily be in the situations themselves, but rather in the dramatic irony when someone is unaware of the significance of the event while others are: the situations aren't ironic themselves, but life itself is ironic.
    ...which really just complicates things, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing to see here, moving on...
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  7. #43727
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My husband's doctoral thesis research was done with atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world. He doesn't wear a watch and is never on time.

  8. #43728
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Bummers. But a damn good song regardless and I think we give her artistic license.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Whenever I hear that song, I provide a sung chorus of "bummer".
    Whenever I hear that song, I sing Isn't it MORONIC, instead. A while back, I saw a movie clip (no idea what movie) where a tween girl was singing it the same way. COPYCAT!!!

  9. #43729
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    (SIGH!) I was one of those friends. Used by a stoner to try and convince his parents he wasn't a stoner. But, hey, I got to go to a great pool party. My other used friends and I had a great time, while he and his stoner friends disappeared. To get stoned, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sounds like a Very Special Episode.
    I'm so excited!

  10. #43730
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My husband's doctoral thesis research was done with atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world. He doesn't wear a watch and is never on time.
    Well done.

  11. #43731
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My husband's doctoral thesis research was done with atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world. He doesn't wear a watch and is never on time.
    Isn't that ironic.

  12. #43732
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My husband's doctoral thesis research was done with atomic clocks, the highest precision timing devices in the world. He doesn't wear a watch and is never on time.
    So what you're saying is that you'd like him to be more like his thesis...on time?

    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else ever wonder about the gender of people who post on DBR? Bostondevil is pretty much the only person I know is a female based on posts like this one, although I suppose from this post alone the author could be a man with a husband, but I digress. I know some of the other posters either personally or through DM so I know they're males, and some seem obvious by their names (like mine), but I pretty much work under the assumption everyone else is a male. I hope I'm wrong and there are women who post here other than Bostondevil, but if there are then I for one haven't been able to figure it out.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  13. #43733
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Isn't that ironic.
    Dontcha think?

  14. #43734
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Dontcha think?
    A little too ironic if you ask me.

  15. #43735
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So what you're saying is that you'd like him to be more like his thesis...on time?

    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else ever wonder about the gender of people who post on DBR? Bostondevil is pretty much the only person I know is a female based on posts like this one, although I suppose from this post alone the author could be a man with a husband, but I digress. I know some of the other posters either personally or through DM so I know they're males, and some seem obvious by their names (like mine), but I pretty much work under the assumption everyone else is a male. I hope I'm wrong and there are women who post here other than Bostondevil, but if there are then I for one haven't been able to figure it out.

    A good number of females on this thread. I'm not one of them.

  16. #43736
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So what you're saying is that you'd like him to be more like his thesis...on time?

    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else ever wonder about the gender of people who post on DBR? Bostondevil is pretty much the only person I know is a female based on posts like this one, although I suppose from this post alone the author could be a man with a husband, but I digress. I know some of the other posters either personally or through DM so I know they're males, and some seem obvious by their names (like mine), but I pretty much work under the assumption everyone else is a male. I hope I'm wrong and there are women who post here other than Bostondevil, but if there are then I for one haven't been able to figure it out.
    I'll have to work on some clues for you.

    I would wear the shoes in my avatar. But that could be an ambiguous clue, I suppose.

  17. #43737
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So what you're saying is that you'd like him to be more like his thesis...on time?

    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else ever wonder about the gender of people who post on DBR? Bostondevil is pretty much the only person I know is a female based on posts like this one, although I suppose from this post alone the author could be a man with a husband, but I digress. I know some of the other posters either personally or through DM so I know they're males, and some seem obvious by their names (like mine), but I pretty much work under the assumption everyone else is a male. I hope I'm wrong and there are women who post here other than Bostondevil, but if there are then I for one haven't been able to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    A good number of females on this thread. I'm not one of them.
    One time I got stuck next to my brother's annoying nephew, who was around 6 at the time, at a family dinner. He said to me several times in close succession, "You're a girl, because you have long hair."
    After about the third time, I leaned in and used my quiet, seething teacher voice to tell him, "If you say that again, I'm gonna put you through that window."
    He did not say that again.
    HI-RES-9149.jpg

  18. #43738
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    One time I got stuck next to my brother's annoying nephew, who was around 6 at the time, at a family dinner. He said to me several times in close succession, "You're a girl, because you have long hair."
    After about the third time, I leaned in and used my quiet, seething teacher voice to tell him, "If you say that again, I'm gonna put you through that window."
    He did not say that again.
    HI-RES-9149.jpg
    1. We've talked about this. Don't use that picture without prior warning man.
    2. Were you in Prague?

  19. #43739
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    One time I got stuck next to my brother's annoying nephew, who was around 6 at the time, at a family dinner. He said to me several times in close succession, "You're a girl, because you have long hair."
    After about the third time, I leaned in and used my quiet, seething teacher voice to tell him, "If you say that again, I'm gonna put you through that window."
    He did not say that again.
    Isn't that your son?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  20. #43740
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    One time I got stuck next to my brother's annoying nephew, who was around 6 at the time, at a family dinner. He said to me several times in close succession, "You're a girl, because you have long hair."
    After about the third time, I leaned in and used my quiet, seething teacher voice to tell him, "If you say that again, I'm gonna put you through that window."
    He did not say that again.
    HI-RES-9149.jpg
    Has he learned the word defenstrate now?

Similar Threads

  1. Duke History (new thread-- posts moved from unrelated thread)
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •