Page 295 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1952452852932942952962973053453957951295 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,900 of 67382
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Believe it or not ... I did not. Amazing what the desert will do to your mind!
    If you struggled that much from 3000-4000 (and it doesn't look like it was THAT much of a struggle), I can/'t imagine what it will be like from 4000-5000 (unless your 1st initial is the letter b)

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Question is, what do I wear? Duke blue?
    I most often wear Duke blue but always will wear something Duke. Sometime a white T or a gray T. Sometimes an old DBR T. I even have a couple black "away" Duke shirts I'll wear to a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I most often wear Duke blue but always will wear something Duke. Sometime a white T or a gray T. Sometimes an old DBR T. I even have a couple black "away" Duke shirts I'll wear to a home game.
    I'm trying to decide if I should wear my short-sleeve Duke blue shirt, or my long sleeve white Duke shirt. It'll be cold outside, but warm inside.

Hey, you are 5 away from 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I should wear my short-sleeve Duke blue shirt, or my long sleeve white Duke shirt. It'll be cold outside, but warm inside.

Hey, you are 5 away from 4000.
    I wear layers of Duke stuff when I go and will take off the long sleeve T or the sweat shirt upon arriving at my seat and enjoy the game in my T and shorts or T and jeans and then layer back up again before exiting CIS.

Sadly, I'm not 5 away. More like about 45 away. Back to work.

Call her today, huh? Is that the genuine consensus here? It's not that I want to play head games with anyone; I just don't want to seem pushy.
    As for the date format, it will probably be a shoot the [poop] and drink a couple of beers (along with perhaps a bite to eat) kind of thing...I was able to establish that she likes a couple of my favorite places (though I don't intend to take her someplace she goes all the time...at least not yet).
    Comments/thoughts are appreciated...it's moderately embarrassing to feel like I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Call her today, huh? Is that the genuine consensus here? It's not that I want to play head games with anyone; I just don't want to seem pushy.
    As for the date format, it will probably be a shoot the [poop] and drink a couple of beers (along with perhaps a bite to eat) kind of thing...I was able to establish that she likes a couple of my favorite places (though I don't intend to take her someplace she goes all the time...at least not yet).
    Comments/thoughts are appreciated...it's moderately embarrassing to feel like I have no idea what I'm doing here.
    I say call her today. Make a date to get together and, if you are going to go back to the same place to watch the game tonight, check to see if she will be on duty. (Unless you already know the answer to that.)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I say call her today. Make a date to get together and, if you are going to go back to the same place to watch the game tonight, check to see if she will be on duty. (Unless you already know the answer to that.)
    I won't be going back to the same place tonight, because a) I don't want the same food again, b) I'm going with a female friend (really, just a friend), and don't want to send weird signals, and most of all, c) I definitely don't want to be that guy.
    I'll be home around 4, and the game isn't until 9, so I guess that gives me about five hours to get myself figured out and call the girl already.

Tapas.

You order it in rounds, so either of you can say "I'm full" at any time to end the date if it is uncomfortable. You can pick a wide variety of dishes, and the format encourages, without demanding, talking about things you both might like to try so you can share.

You can also both agree to try something outrageous for fun, like an octopus dish, and toss it away if you don't like it since the individual plates typically aren't very expensive.

The atmosphere at tapas restaurants is usually nice, but not formal, with enough background nosie to avoid uncomfortable silence but not so loud as to be distracting.

Sangria is almost always a must at a tapas bar, so the alcohol selection is both easy to make and relatively inexpensive.

Do avoid Buckhead (unless you hit a place like Nava, if it's still in business) - presumably she already knows you can kick back and have a beer and watch a game given what you were up to last night, so show her a more sophisticated side.

And don't tell her you received any dating advice on an internet forum. She might not be ready for that.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    And don't tell her you received any dating advice on an internet forum. She might not be ready for that.
    And learn particularly from Earljam - don't mention DBR and certainly not your screenname, or she will be using your profile option to "view all posts by Wilson" within an hour of getting home from the date.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    What's life without a few internet friends?

But no, don't tell her about us, until the third date, at least. You however are free to tell us about her.

Oh, and re not seeming pushy - you're not calling tonight to ask for a date tonight (or even tomorrow). You just say you really enjoyed meeting her and wanted to get in touch so you could hopefully find a night to meet up in the next week or so.

When you do that, it's helpful to her if you suggest a day first.

Wow. I wish I had this much help back in the day. I had to rely on the clowns I grew up with, who were as ignorant and socially inept as I was (or am). At Duke I was in so far over my head "Flounder" would have been a good nickname for me...

The only thing I'd add is mix in some writing - you've got skills there too. Trade emails and riff on whatever strikes your fancy.

Go, Wilson, go!!!

P.S. "All advice guaranteed or your money back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    The only thing I'd add is mix in some writing - you've got skills there too. Trade emails and riff on whatever strikes your fancy.
    Ahh, writing. The only thing I ever had going for me.

I met my wife at an internship in New York in the summer of '99. At the time, Goldman didn't allow instant messenger on computers, so I wrote a custom IM client and distributed it to a few friends. Really, I just wanted more opportunities to write to a certain girl. Worked out well for this huge nerd.

All of this is good stuff...thanks, guys! Breen, I especially like your tapas suggestion. I know of several such good places. I just might have to do that one.
    Will of course continue to provide updates.

And no, I won't be telling her about y'all just yet. No offense, but "Yeah, my internet friends are pretty pumped about this evening too" doesn't really strike me as good first date material...

All of this is good stuff...thanks, guys! Breen, I especially like your tapas suggestion. I know of several such good places. I just might have to do that one.
    Will of course continue to provide updates.
    You're welcome, but I'm not Breen.

And no, I won't be telling her about y'all just yet. No offense, but "Yeah, my internet friends are pretty pumped about this evening too" doesn't really strike me as good first date material...
    I don't know man, you might wanna throw that out there as a test. You know, see if she passes or not. She's gonna find out sooner or later when you sneak out of bed at 1:23 AM to post on the OTB. Just sayin.

Arrow Re: Birthday party this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Birthday party blow out this weekend. :-)
    So 2535's Birthday is next week, and we're partying this weekend. If you're in SoCal and want to jam, let us know.

If you're not in SoCal, as I know is the situation for a handful of you , too bad, so sad.

In any event... looks like a party of... 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    What's life without a few internet friends?

But no, don't tell her about us, until the third date, at least. You however are free to tell us about her.
    Ditto!