Page 284 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 1842342742822832842852862943343847841284 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,680 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Can I do penance in another format? It has become a point of honor that I haven't seen it - just to bug a friend of mine. I can sing the song.
    I figured it was probably something like this. But I'm sorry...it's really pretty inexcusable for a self-proclaimed lover of Christmas not to have seen this gem. I'm not sure I can bend on this one.
    As for my favorite Christmas films, I'm a bit more of a modernist, but I enjoy the classics, too My list follows in alphabetical order:

-A Charlie Brown Christmas
    -Elf
    -Home Alone
    -How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
    -It's A Wonderful Life
    -National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I can stop with those six as my true favorites, but this list is by no means exhaustive. There are at least a dozen Christmas films that I make a point of watching every year, and I will watch essentially any Christmas film, no matter how mediocre. The one (large) exception is 'A Christmas Story.' I just don't like it. I know this is sacrilege to a lot of people, and I recognize and respect the film's presence in the Yuletide pantheon; it just doesn't do a thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    As for my favorite Christmas films, I'm a bit more of a modernist, but I enjoy the classics, too My list follows in alphabetical order:

-Elf
    -Home Alone
    -It's A Wonderful Life
    Great list. I'm still a big fan of the stop-motion Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
    Last edited by 2535Miles; 11-05-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It took a village...
    is that an idiot reference (jk)?

I figured it was probably something like this. But I'm sorry...it's really pretty inexcusable for a self-proclaimed lover of Christmas not to have seen this gem. I'm not sure I can bend on this one.

-Elf
    -Home Alone
    -It's A Wonderful Life

I can stop with those six as my true favorites, but this list is by no means exhaustive. There are at least a dozen Christmas films that I make a point of watching every year, and I will watch essentially any Christmas film, no matter how mediocre. The one (large) exception is 'A Christmas Story.' I just don't like it. I know this is sacrilege to a lot of people, and I recognize and respect the film's presence in the Yuletide pantheon; it just doesn't do a thing for me.
    Wilson, I'm a little disappointed in you. You don't approve of someone not watching grinch (I can't stand the grinch), but you don't like a christmas story and recognize other people do. Where is your compassion? I'm asking as I see myself falling out of favor (if I was ever in) with you over the grinch.

My favs are, in no particular order:

White Christmas
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Miracle on 34th Street (the original)

Can't think of any others I really like.

-Elf
    -Home Alone
    -It's A Wonderful Life

I forgot to put Rudolph on my list - I love Hermey the elf that wants to be a dentist.

Does the fact that I have approximately 100 Christmas CDs, cassettes, and LPs help any? The artists range from Boyz II Men to Pavarotti.

I have only two in the top tier - I'll change my schedule to watch these in real time when they're on.

1. The Grinch (original animated version). I've heard rumors they made a couple of full-length Grinch movies in the past 10 years or so, but I can't believe anyone would be that foolish. It must be some sort of interweb hoax...

2. Charlie Brown Christmas.

The next tier, more or less:

Muppet Family Christmas ("Watch out for the icy spot!!")
    A Christmas Carol (black-n-white British version from the 50's)
    Wonderful Life ("My lip's bleeding!! Whoo hooo!!")
    Rudolf ("because Bumbles bounce!!")
    Polar Express (I love the animation and Hanks is perfect as the conductor)

Mrs Turk likes "Year without a Santa Claus" (epecially Heat Miser)
    Last edited by Turk; 11-05-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I forgot to put Rudolph on my list - I love Hermey the elf that wants to be a dentist.

Does the fact that I have approximately 100 Christmas CDs, cassettes, and LPs help any? The artists range from Boyz II Men to Pavarotti.
    Hmmm... Sounds like you're an expert, DIK - do you have any good R&B / blues favorites?

Christmas music should be a separate thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Hmmm... Sounds like you're an expert, DIK - do you have any good R&B / blues favorites?

Christmas music should be a separate thread...
    My collection is probably lacking in those areas - or I just don't know enough to classify what I have in those areas. If you name an artist I can tell you if I have something. I'm probably more heavy into Country & Western but I also have about 10 years of the Hallmark Christmas tape/CD with varying artists. My favorite CD is Good News by Kathy Mattea. There isn't a single what I would call traditional carol on it. i.e. - no Silent Night, Joy to the World, etc. I also have one by the King Singers that is great. My favorite song is actually a duet with Bing Crosby & David Bowie that it took me about 10 years to find on CD. It was from one of Bing's Christmas specials. I do miss those.

Was that Bing and Bowie doing "Little Drummer Boy"? That one is classic...

I usually just go for the theme ones (i.e. Celtic, acoustic) and look for a mishmash of artists every few years or so... It will be time to dig them up soon enough and we can thread bump after Thanksgiving.

I have only two in the top tier - I'll change my schedule to watch these in real time when they're on.

1. The Grinch (original animated version). I've heard rumors they made a couple of full-length Grinch movies in the past 10 years or so, but I can't believe anyone would be that foolish. It must be some sort of interweb hoax...

2. Charlie Brown Christmas.

The next tier, more or less:

Muppet Family Christmas ("Watch out for the icy spot!!")
    A Christmas Carol (black-n-white British version from the 50's)
    Wonderful Life ("My lip's bleeding!! Whoo hooo!!")
    Rudolf ("because Bumbles bounce!!")
    Polar Express (I love the animation and Hanks is perfect as the conductor)

Mrs Turk likes "Year without a Santa Claus" (epecially Heat Miser)
    Oh dear! How could I forget the Muppets? I of course love the Muppet Family Christmas and the Muppet Christmas Carol. I am also eagerly awaiting a new Muppets Christmas special this year, airing on Dec. 17.
    DiK, I am still mulling your candidacy, but your non-Grinchitude remains really problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    is that an idiot reference (jk)?
    It took a village of us to surpass BillyBreen...

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Wilson, I'm a little disappointed in you. You don't approve of someone not watching grinch (I can't stand the grinch), but you don't like a christmas story and recognize other people do. Where is your compassion? I'm asking as I see myself falling out of favor (if I was ever in) with you over the grinch.
    It's not that I disapprove of someone not wanting to watch the Grinch regularly. Not having ever seen it at all is unacceptable.

It's not that I disapprove of someone not wanting to watch the Grinch regularly. Not having ever seen it at all is unacceptable.
    I have seen parts of it - just not the whole think in one sitting.

I know, I was just referencing the village idiot theme (I resemble that remark).

A village, and an absent BillyBreen.

The one (large) exception is 'A Christmas Story.' I just don't like it. I know this is sacrilege to a lot of people, and I recognize and respect the film's presence in the Yuletide pantheon; it just doesn't do a thing for me.
    It is because of this glaring omission that I cannot support your position as DBR Head Elf.

If there are any other candidates out there seeking the position, let me know - I'd be willing to endorse you, depending on your answer to the question:

Isn't 'A Christmas Story' one of the top 5 Christmas movies of all time?

Was that Bing and Bowie doing "Little Drummer Boy"? That one is classic...

I usually just go for the theme ones (i.e. Celtic, acoustic) and look for a mishmash of artists every few years or so... It will be time to dig them up soon enough and we can thread bump after Thanksgiving.
    Yes - Bing and Bowie singing "Little Drummer Boy" and "Peace on Earth".

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    It is because of this glaring omission that I cannot support your position as DBR Head Elf.

If there are any other candidates out there seeking the position, let me know - I'd be willing to endorse you, depending on your answer to the question:

If he lets me pass on the Grinch, would you let him pass on A Christmas Story?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

I would like to apply for the position of Head Elf.

Qualifications:
    Religion- Jewish
    Favorite Xmas Movie- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the original cartoon, in fact, I own it)
    Use of the Term Xmas- Yes
    Attendance at Midnight Mass- I've been twice. One service was entirely in Polish in a 100+ year old church
    Childhood Request for a Hanukkah Bush- Yes
    Participation in Secret Santa- Yes
    Participation in Hanukkah Hunt- Yes, several as a child
    Eight Gifts for Eight Nights- Yes, as a child... now just one biggie
    Drink Eggnog- Nooooooooo
    Pass Out Candy Canes- Yes
    Wear a Santa Hat- Yes
    Put Reindeer Antlers on Chloe- No, I prefer not to be bloodied, thank you
    Decorate Christmas Trees- Yes, in fact my friends' moms would invite me over when their children bailed on them. Loved decorating the trees.
    Prefer Neutral Decorations or All 3 Holidays Be Represented- Yes
    Favorite Holiday Food- Latkes with a side of applesauce
    Height- 5'3"

As you can see, my qualifications are exemplary. Therefore, I submit my name for consideration for the position of Head Elf.

Thank you.

Sue71 - No to eggnog? Not a good elf candidate. You do have a height advantage on me - I'm more like Will Ferrell in Elf and Hermey the Dentist Elf. (5'10" to your 5'3").

I make a killer cup of eggnog - and you have your choice of nogged or nogless.