Page 1174 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1746741074112411641172117311741175117611841224127416742174 ... LastLast
Results 23,461 to 23,480 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Who was better, Robert Preston or Matthew Broderick? I’ll fight you over the answer either way.
    I want to see Hugh Jackman in the role on Broadway. Sutton Foster as Marion.

I only know the Robert Preston version.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I was in The Music Man in high school. I had one line. "I want my money back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I was in The Music Man in high school. I had one line. "I want my money back!"
    And now, you're a theatre mogul. From such small beginnings come such great things!

Summoned for jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Summoned for jury duty.
    A necessary public service. Bring a book.

A necessary public service. Bring a book.
    Been called twice in Buncombe County. Didn't get to serve. Was a bit disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Been called twice in Buncombe County. Didn't get to serve. Was a bit disappointed.
    I’ve never ever been summoned, which is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Summoned for jury duty.
    I enjoyed both times I sat on a jury. The first was 2nd degree murder - guilty on our first vote, we talked about it for a few hours after that, still guilty. The second was wrongful death - for the defendant, after most of us spent two days working to convince one member that we couldn't award damages to the plaintiff if the defendant wasn't responsible. ("But she can afford it!" didn't fly with the rest of us.)

The most recent time I was called, the candidates were asked 4 screening questions: (1) are you or any close relatives a physician; (2) are you or any close relatives an attorney; (3) have you or any close relatives ever been sued for malpractice; and (4) do you have kids? Four "yeses" later, I got a quick interview and a quicker exit. It was some sort of pre-natal medical malpractice case. (I'd have been fair...)

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I've been called 3 times. Never served. The last 2 times I didn't even have to go to the courthouse. You call the night before and if they aren't seating any juries the next day you don't have to go but you still get credit for having done your duty.

The jury I didn't get seated on was also a malpractice case. A woman with breast cancer was suing her doctors for not diagnosing it early. In my time as a public health researcher, I have participated in studies that looked at malpractice cases. When I went up the judge looked at the form I had filled out where I mentioned that and just laughed. We didn't even get to the part where I told him I had co-authored a medical journal article with one of their expert witnesses or that I had also participated in a study that looked at the accuracy of mammograms (not how doctors read them, but how well they detect cancers). Not only would I have been fair, I would have understood the testimony, but . . .

Massachusetts does one thing really wrong, I think. Jury duty is by county and not by town. Counties in Massachusetts, particularly the one I live in are huge. You get randomly assigned to courthouses. The last 2 times I've been called when I wasn't seated, the courthouses were more than an hour away and that's when traffic isn't too bad.

Been called twice. First time was a medical malpractice case. Still not sure how I got on the jury - I was a pharmacy tech and two sisters worked in hospitals. After a week of testimony on the plaintiff's side, they settled out of court. I was glad they did because I was questioning his follow up care and they weren't a defendent. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that a 55 year old keeping his arm raised 24/7 for a month might cause issues with range of motion in that shoulder.

Second time was a criminal case - after much back and forth they determined that they didn't need a jury around noon that day. I really wanted to send someone up the river. (just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I really wanted to send someone up the river. (just kidding)
    Been there, done that, have the form exempting from jury duty for 3 years afterwards.

I have to say, the El Paso thread lasted far longer than I anticipated. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Been there, done that, have the form exempting from jury duty for 3 years afterwards.
    This may have come off as more flippant than intended. I heard a first time felony drug possesion case with a judge rendering the sentence. So actually, I have no idea what the sentence actually was. The defense put up an emotional defense and had us in the jury tied up around who was really on trial. Ultimately, we decided against the defendant. He was a legal immigrant, the felony possession likely ended that status.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    I used to watch a lot more baseball than I do now. Frankly without upping my entertainment budget, there isn't much interesting on TV for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I used to watch a lot more baseball than I do now. Frankly without upping my entertainment budget, there isn't much interesting on TV for me.
    We need to have a calm and rational discussion about baseball control, but now is not the time.

We need to have a calm and rational discussion about baseball control, but now is not the time.
    They banned aluminum bats and spitballs. Just sayin’

They banned aluminum bats and spitballs. Just sayin’
    I'm not getting baited into this minefield.

I'm not getting baited into this minefield.

If minefields are outlawed, only outlaws will have minefields my friend.

Oh and Happy Hump Day to all! We made it.

I have to say, the El Paso thread lasted far longer than I anticipated. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    It went about 6 pages longer than I thought it would. I was impressed with most of the discussion.