Page 255 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 1552052452532542552562572653053557551255 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 67650
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The play, sir, how was the play?
    Reading a play out loud always makes it better. I was surprised by how much more I liked the piece in performance. It still needs a lot of work though. Autobiographical pieces can be the kiss of death, I always tell playwrights, especially new ones, to leave them alone. It's much harder to use poetic license in your own life but if you can't step away from 'what really happened', well, compelling dramas are rarely crafted out of 'what really happened'.

2535Miles says hi...

He caught me online tonight while he took a "night off" from his conference in Chicago. I caught him up with the following (paraphrasing):
    Well let's get you caught up. People were asking after you on the LTE thread and someone said you were in Chicago. Talked to EJ a few nights ago. I went to Vegas. I'm back at work & in Hell. And oh, EJ got banned again.
    2535 says:
    I miss all the fun.
    So anyway, he says hi to everyone. He's sorry he's missing out on the pwing but he'll be back in full force this weekend.

Wow, I've been gone for just a few hours, and such progress on the LTE post count! Way to hit 4,798 (BB status), and blow right past - w00t!!

I appreciate the mods' willingness to discuss their actions here, and also the LTE regulars' willingness to accept (if not necessarily appreciate) that the rulz is the rulz.

And Supadave should give classes to incoming freshman boys at Duke. That's a skill that impresses women too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I appreciate the mods' willingness to discuss their actions here, and also the LTE regulars' willingness to accept (if not necessarily appreciate) that the rulz is the rulz.
    Yes, I also appreciate the mods' decision to explain. It's a whole lot easier to understand the issue. It's not Fight Club here on the OTB. Thanks to SupaDave for his explanation of all of this as well.

Now as for his explanation of the two-fingered approach...

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Much better than merely acceptable. And Ymo, I'm giving up Christian Laettner to post this so it must be true. Don't listen to the playwright, especially when they've written an autobiographical piece. There are infinitely many right ways to play a role, you picked one of them and did it. No, you weren't exactly the guy the playwright had in mind, but unless we're digging up the actual guy, nobody else is either. What were the three words I had to choose from? I'll go with masterful. Plus, you gave the director exactly what she asked for, so there.

Hope you enjoyed the experience and I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you more afterwards. Feel free to spill the beans on my acting ability, ha! Or my way of running a discussion session.

I did enjoy it, it was definitely a change of pace for me. I think the discussion session went well, it has been a long time since I've been around that much discussion of a single topic other than work related stuff.

As far as the play, I agree it is better performed. It was amazing to me to see what a difference the reading made. I'm in the vignette, eliminate Nina, and you might have a workable play camp.

PS BD, you are too kind

Reading a play out loud always makes it better. I was surprised by how much more I liked the piece in performance. It still needs a lot of work though. Autobiographical pieces can be the kiss of death, I always tell playwrights, especially new ones, to leave them alone. It's much harder to use poetic license in your own life but if you can't step away from 'what really happened', well, compelling dramas are rarely crafted out of 'what really happened'.
    I had addressed the question to Ymo, so no offense intended with the "sir." Glad you responded and happy that the reading went well. Does Ymo have a potential new career?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shoot, if a mod is discussing it, why not?

1 hook=2 fingers (actually, 1 finger and the very valuable opposable thumb)
    2 hooks=3 fingers (once again, 2 fingers and that very valuable thumb)
    3 hooks=10 fingers (including thumbs) and probably a crowbar for additional leverage
    4 hooks=beats the heck outta me. I've never had the opportunity/pleasure/challenge

I had best stop there.
    In the world outside of cyberspace, there exists a rare species of 8 hooks, configured as a double set of 4.

[DD, I had to remove your smilies to make room for mine.]

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    In the world outside of cyberspace, there exists a rare species of 8 hooks, configured as a double set of 4.

[DD, I had to remove your smilies to make room for mine.]
    Links?
    Pix?

(emoticon removal is acceptable from my standpoint)

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Fried green tomatoes are absolutely delicious.
    Find my fried chicken recipe. Duplicate the breading. Slice your green tomatoes. Dip them in a mixture of 8 oz. or so of milk and an egg, whipped together, and then in the breading. Fry normally. You can also leave out the milk and/or egg.
    IMO, fried green tomatoes are best when coated with corn meal instead of flour. Use the same seasoning as above, but substitute the meal for the flour. In this instance, you will have to coat your tomatoes with the milk/egg mixture (you can do without one or the other in a pinch or if you're allergic or something, but you can't coat them directly with the meal very well without at least one or the other). Also, be sure your oil is good and hot; this will help the coating adhere to the tomatoes quickly...just be careful!
    Another great way to do these is low-yield, but incredibly high-reward (not to mention high in cholesterol):
    Fry an entire package of bacon. Keep the grease hot and fry tomatoes until the grease is spent. Make BLTs until the tomatoes are gone (leftover green tomatoes fried the above, "ordinary" way are also heavenly on a BLT...or just about any other sandwich for that matter, especially a burger).
    Thank you! I had to pick three green tomatoes before they froze, and I fully intend to fry 'em up! Love me some fried green 'maters!

Congratulations on the reading, YBT. It sounds like you did a great job.

Not that I'm trying to pad my post count by putting this in a new post but I have a question as a behind the technological times person.

I think my VCR is giving up the ghost. I don't want to replace it with another VCR - if you can even find one, but I don't know anything about DVRs. Do they have a hard drive in them or do you record directly to a DVD? With TIVO, do you have to pay for the monthly service? Anybody have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    2535Miles says hi...

He caught me online tonight while he took a "night off" from his conference in Chicago. I caught him up with the following (paraphrasing):

2535 says:

So anyway, he says hi to everyone. He's sorry he's missing out on the pwing but he'll be back in full force this weekend.
    Aww man, nobody wants to hang with me when they come to Chicago. Either I was a loser to begin with, or this mod thing has made me into the Niedermayer of the DBR.

I guess it's not too early to start drinking.

Cavlaw, what's the status of the job you interviewed for?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Not that I'm trying to pad my post count by putting this in a new post but I have a question as a behind the technological times person.

I think my VCR is giving up the ghost. I don't want to replace it with another VCR - if you can even find one, but I don't know anything about DVRs. Do they have a hard drive in them or do you record directly to a DVD? With TIVO, do you have to pay for the monthly service? Anybody have any recommendations?
    I have a lifetime subscription to Tivo. My then-husband purchased it for me several years ago. I'm not even sure if Tivo offers a lifetime subscription any more.

Much better than merely acceptable. And Ymo, I'm giving up Christian Laettner to post this so it must be true. Don't listen to the playwright, especially when they've written an autobiographical piece. There are infinitely many right ways to play a role, you picked one of them and did it. No, you weren't exactly the guy the playwright had in mind, but unless we're digging up the actual guy, nobody else is either. What were the three words I had to choose from? I'll go with masterful. Plus, you gave the director exactly what she asked for, so there.

Hope you enjoyed the experience and I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you more afterwards. Feel free to spill the beans on my acting ability, ha! Or my way of running a discussion session.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I did enjoy it, it was definitely a change of pace for me. I think the discussion session went well, it has been a long time since I've been around that much discussion of a single topic other than work related stuff.

As far as the play, I agree it is better performed. It was amazing to me to see what a difference the reading made. I'm in the vignette, eliminate Nina, and you might have a workable play camp.

PS BD, you are too kind
    Bravo Ymo! Bravo!!!

@------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------
    @------>-----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Aww man, nobody wants to hang with me when they come to Chicago. Either I was a loser to begin with, or this mod thing has made me into the Niedermayer of the DBR.

I guess it's not too early to start drinking.
    I'm actually coming to Chicago next week for a girls' weekend - a niece turns 13. Perhaps you could answer a question for me, we are going to see Wicked and I was thinking of hiring a limo/car service to take us and pick us up after - depending on the cost. Do you have any recommendations? We have rented a townhouse for the stay and it is only 2.1 miles or so from the theater. There are el stations a short distance from each end - is that a better option?

Do you have a place you would recommend for sinfully delicious desserts - either to purchase a cake for the birthday or to go after the play?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Cavlaw, what's the status of the job you interviewed for?
    Don't know if I even have an interview yet. It's government, so they're dragging their feet about it (I also think they haven't gotten as many apps in as they want). A few power players have told me they sent letters of recommendation to the board of directors of the target agency after they found out I applied, so I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'm actually coming to Chicago next week for a girls' weekend - a niece turns 13. Perhaps you could answer a question for me, we are going to see Wicked and I was thinking of hiring a limo/car service to take us and pick us up after - depending on the cost. Do you have any recommendations? We have rented a townhouse for the stay and it is only 2.1 miles or so from the theater. There are el stations a short distance from each end - is that a better option?

Do you have a place you would recommend for sinfully delicious desserts - either to purchase a cake for the birthday or to go after the play?
    w/r/t the el, it depends on the timing of the show and the location of the townhouse. The el is almost always my preferred choice.

Car service is expensive; you can generally get a cab in the loop without difficultly, even after a show lets out if you are willing to walk a block or two.

If you have your own car, you can park a block away from the theater on Randolph (the street the theater is on) in a parking tower across the street from Macy's. The rate for that would be much better than a car service, comparable to cabbing each way.

Dessert also depends on timing - some places close earlier than others. Sadly, Moonstruck Chocolate on Michigan Avenue has closed, but there are other places you can go in the area, or closer to the townhouse if you let me know the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Don't know if I even have an interview yet. It's government, so they're dragging their feet about it (I also think they haven't gotten as many apps in as they want). A few power players have told me they sent letters of recommendation to the board of directors of the target agency after they found out I applied, so I'm optimistic.
    Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Even though it's government, are you really sure your hours will decrease? I'm not trying to be snarky, asking an honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Even though it's government, are you really sure your hours will decrease? I'm not trying to be snarky, asking an honest question.
    In my average week I spend around 65-70 hours in the office (worse when busy). Four to six times a month I don't go home at night. I took my first vacation day of the year on Columbus Day.

I don't have any agency experience, but I have worked in the U.S. Senate, and late nights there don't begin to compare with my current job.

So, I'm pretty sure, yeah.