Page 2332 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 133218322232228223222330233123322333233423422382243228323332 ... LastLast
Results 46,621 to 46,640 of 67393
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was driving near one of their production plants the other day and they had lawn signs all over the place looking for employees. It's crazy around here, the state has an official unemployment rate of 2.9%, no one can find anyone, so many restaurants are closed or not open for lunch, starting salaries ratcheting up to lure people.
    Interesting local insight.
    There's similar stuff happening down here. Lots of places desperate to hire and offering various incentives.
    Also quite a few businesses posting passive-aggressive (and infuriating) notices like "since nobody wants to work, we're short-staffed."
    It's not that nobody wants to work, it's that nobody wants to work at ongoing personal risk for insultingly unlivable wages. I daresay that labor, perhaps, is having a moment. It'll be interesting to see how this all continues to unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Interesting local insight.
    There's similar stuff happening down here. Lots of places desperate to hire and offering various incentives.
    Also quite a few businesses posting passive-aggressive (and infuriating) notices like "since nobody wants to work, we're short-staffed."
    It's not that nobody wants to work, it's that nobody wants to work at ongoing personal risk for insultingly unlivable wages. I daresay that labor, perhaps, is having a moment. It'll be interesting to see how this all continues to unfold.
    Bordering on PPB, but the "everyone is on unemployment" doesn't hold water anymore. 16 months ago, I knew dozens of people on unemployment. Now, none.

We probably would have been on the front end of rush hour if we hadn't hit the hour delay before we got there.
    Heading to Clemson to see Nephew Alex. Sister Anne and BiL Wayne ended up staying home for health reasons. Prayers for them would be greatly appreciated - Wayne is having heart issues.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was driving near one of their production plants the other day and they had lawn signs all over the place looking for employees. It's crazy around here, the state has an official unemployment rate of 2.9%, no one can find anyone, so many restaurants are closed or not open for lunch, starting salaries ratcheting up to lure people.
    I probably do not need to explain this, but unemployment rates are deceiving b/c they are based on people applying for unemployment benefits. These benefits have run out for so many people that there are waaayyy more people not working out there that aren't reflected in the "rates".

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I probably do not need to explain this, but unemployment rates are deceiving b/c they are based on people applying for unemployment benefits. These benefits have run out for so many people that there are waaayyy more people not working out there that aren't reflected in the "rates".
    And many have simply left the service industry

So are the Braces or the Astros the greater MLB evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    And many have simply left the service industry
    And I should add that the "unemployment rate" cannot reflect those are not working and not looking, either. THAT is our current problem.

Our local businesses were having staffing shortages LONG before COVID.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So are the Braces or the Astros the greater MLB evil?
    Yeah, tough one. My only solution is to pay no attention to the World Series. Well, I'll find out who won when it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yeah, tough one. My only solution is to pay no attention to the World Series. Well, I'll find out who won when it's over.
    Can't get away from it here. Even the casual fan (or in a lot of cases, complete non-fan) is (understandably) pretty into it in Atlanta these days. The immersion therapy is pretty helpful, really...it's there, it's happening, the Barves appear to have a very good chance of winning the Series, and it just has no bearing on my life or frame of mind.

And I should add that the "unemployment rate" cannot reflect those are not working and not looking, either. THAT is our current problem.

Our local businesses were having staffing shortages LONG before COVID.
    Yes.

Folks oversimplify this to "people don't want to work" when the reality is "people are no longer interested in crappy jobs with bad hours, no benefits, and disappointing pay."

Yes.

Folks oversimplify this to "people don't want to work" when the reality is "people are no longer interested in crappy jobs with bad hours, no benefits, and disappointing pay."
    Yeah, a business not willing to pay a living wage does not mean that people don't want to work.

I'll do you one better and pay no attention to baseball at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What's a "base ball?"

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is the way.

I ran a 5k, The Great Pumpkin Dash, in Revere, MA on Sunday. It was town #55 in my quest to run a 5k (or longer) in every city and town in Massachusetts. Only 297 to go! I count both Bradford and Haverhill even though the towns merged in the late 1800s, Bradford residents never say they are from Haverhill (and vice versa), so I am counting both even if the Commonwealth treats them as a single entity.

I ran a 5k, The Great Pumpkin Dash, in Revere, MA on Sunday. It was town #55 in my quest to run a 5k (or longer) in every city and town in Massachusetts. Only 297 to go! I count both Bradford and Haverhill even though the towns merged in the late 1800s, Bradford residents never say they are from Haverhill (and vice versa), so I am counting both even if the Commonwealth treats them as a single entity.
    Springfield and Shelbyville have a similar rivalry.

But who has the better monorail?

Yes.

That's what it amounts to. It used to be that restaurant workers got extremely unpredictable hours, often well short of 40 per week...come on in for four hours tomorrow, then we have nothing for you until Friday.
    If this all happens to move our employment model for retail places, I'm all for paying more so the people helping me can have a livable wage (and the cost of living around here is pretty high).
    I know it's tough for business owners, it really is, but the old model no longer works for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But who has the better monorail?
    North Haverbrook. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is the way.
    As long as you reserve some for the foundlings. The foundlings are the future.