Page 333 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 2332833233313323333343353433834338331333 ... LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,660 of 67399
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Do you ever cook the steel cut oats? I bought some and then found out they take half an hour to cook. Who has that much time to cook oatmeal?
    I sure don't have that kind of time. I cook the Publix brand oats. You know, the $1.50 canister that feeds me for two to three weeks.

Cinnamon

Also, put Cinnamon in the oatmeal. Cinnamon is the wonder spice.

I wonder who started eating it? Isn't it the bark of a tree?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I sure don't have that kind of time. I cook the Publix brand oats. You know, the $1.50 canister that feeds me for two to three weeks.
    The old fashioned rolled oats are perfectly fine. Some health nut decided the steel cut oats were healthier, and I got sucked in by their propaganda.

I have been lurking around for a while and thought I would do my part to meet the goal by 12/20

Two, somewhat, similar looking foods that I have yet to taste . . . oatmeal and grits. So tell me, am I missing out?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    I have been lurking around for a while and thought I would do my part to meet the goal by 12/20

Two, somewhat, similar looking foods that I have yet to taste . . . oatmeal and grits. So tell me, am I missing out?
    Those little oatmeal packs nuke up nicely with about a half cup of milk (and proper data entry on the cook time!!) A good hot start to the day in just a couple of minutes...

I'll save the detailed grits discussion for the native Southerners. They're too much like Cream O Wheat for my taste, but I like em OK with a splash of hot sauce. If given a choice, I'll go with home fries every time as my breakfast starch.

P.S. Welcome aboard - as a newbie myself I can say I've enjoyed the OTB these past few months...

P.P.S. Chris Duhon at 301!! Hey Starbury, I had more assists in one game than you had in an entire season!! So there!!
    Last edited by Turk; 12-01-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Duhon

In a word, yes. Oatmeal, frankly, is generally rather unspectacular, but it's really good for you, it's quite filling, and it's cheap. Moreover, it's eminently customizable, with anything from fruit to brown sugar or cinnamon to even a bit of cocoa.
    As for grits, they are delicious. Usually, when someone tells me they've never had grits, I assume they're from the North. I will say that all grits are not created equal. The best are the stone-ground ones, especially if they're the ones that still have little sweet bits of corn in them. There is a fine line between perfectly thick grits and the ones that get too thick and then start to cake together and get lumpy...yuck. Any self-respecting restaurant serving grits should be able to walk that line, but sadly, plenty of them can't...it's not as easy as you might think.
    Grits are also customizable (most commonly with cheese), but good plain grits are delicious...just a little bit of butter and some salt, and you're good. There are also several dishes involving grits that are pretty heavenly. I'm mainly thinking of shrimp and grits here.

So you bought Fat Tire in NC?
    No, I'm still in California. I moved back to San Diego so I could be closer to the office over the next six months to help with the transition. It's also less-expensive and it's not LA.

So you bought Fat Tire in NC?
    I once got a flat tire in NC, somewhere between Durham and Chapel Hill.

Welcome aboard kmspeaks! I applaud your decision to contribute to the LTE and to the general OTB community.

I'll second Wilson's comments. Shrimp and grits is one of my most favorite dishes in the whole entire world. I love grits.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Welcome aboard kmspeaks! I applaud your decision to contribute to the LTE and to the general OTB community.

I'll second Wilson's comments. Shrimp and grits is one of my most favorite dishes in the whole entire world. I love grits.
    Okay, I'm a yankee. Maybe a damn yankee.

I've had grits a few times, more often while in NC. I just haven't brought them into my routine.

What is a good brand to use at home, something that cooks up quick in the microwave?

Talking Bonk lives!!

I once got a flat tire in NC, somewhere between Durham and Chapel Hill.
    Which tire?

What is a good brand to use at home, something that cooks up quick in the microwave?
    No. Just no.

I remember the time, early in my freshman year at Duke, when several of us were making our way to the Marketplace for Saturday brunch. A couple of us were craving grits very vocally. Finally, one of our dorm-mates, a native of Cherry Hill, NJ, piped up and asked about them. We did our best to explain them and tried to assure him that they were good. He responded by promising that he'd "at least try one."
    A few minutes later, we finished laughing and he understood the joke.

No. Just no.
    If you can't microwave grits, then who has time to cook them in the morning? Do they cook like rice or steel cut oats, simmering for a "long time"?

I remember the time, early in my freshman year at Duke, when several of us were making our way to the Marketplace for Saturday brunch. A couple of us were craving grits very vocally. Finally, one of our dorm-mates, a native of Cherry Hill, NJ, piped up and asked about them. We did our best to explain them and tried to assure him that they were good. He responded by promising that he'd "at least try one."
    A few minutes later, we finished laughing and he understood the joke.
    You can't eat just one?

If you can't microwave grits, then who has time to cook them in the morning? Do they cook like rice or steel cut oats, simmering for a "long time"?
    This is a fair point, but it's also why grits are kind of a Saturday/Sunday morning thing (at least for me). They're just not intended as a daily, breakfast-on-the-go dish. Using the microwave swings the pendulum really far toward the "bad grits" end of the spectrum.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Which tire?
    Ahh, nothing like a good Bonkistry joke.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    This is a fair point, but it's also why grits are kind of a Saturday/Sunday morning thing (at least for me). They're just not intended as a daily, breakfast-on-the-go dish. Using the microwave swings the pendulum really far toward the "bad grits" end of the spectrum.
    Cooking quick grits doesn't take all that long and they aren't bad, really, they're not, I promise.

I used to make a grits casserole that had eggs and cheese in it. I should dig that recipe out. It was quite tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Cooking quick grits doesn't take all that long and they aren't bad, really, they're not, I promise.

I used to make a grits casserole that had eggs and cheese in it. I should dig that recipe out. It was quite tasty.
    What do you know about grits? You're from freakin' Massachusetts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

Sweet, I would love that recipe! I do the same thing with oatmeal, eggs, and cheese. In the microwave!