Page 2005 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 100515051905195519952003200420052006200720152055210525053005 ... LastLast
Results 40,081 to 40,100 of 67371
    Today, we've reached the point in my history curriculum where I showed the 1951 "Duck and Cover" instructional video about nuclear attack preparation to my kids. By this point in the year, my students have almost always rounded into some pretty insightful little historians, and they're always bemused by Duck and Cover. Every year, it prompts discussion about the moment by moment, cumulative nature of history, their frustration with our ongoing reliance on violence and "childish leadership" (their words this morning), and how that continues to create problems in our world.
    Always makes me really remember why I do what I do and give thanks for the opportunity to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Today, we've reached the point in my history curriculum where I showed the 1951 "Duck and Cover" instructional video about nuclear attack preparation to my kids. By this point in the year, my students have almost always rounded into some pretty insightful little historians, and they're always bemused by Duck and Cover. Every year, it prompts discussion about the moment by moment, cumulative nature of history, their frustration with our ongoing reliance on violence and "childish leadership" (their words this morning), and how that continues to create problems in our world.
    Always makes me really remember why I do what I do and give thanks for the opportunity to do it.
    Hopefully, they can hang on to those attitudes into adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    My son, a HS senior, has three zoom meetings scheduled today - none of which are for school. (Wed is an "async" learning day, with teachers holding office hours.)

He's so over it. And he's so happy Duke is requiring vax for all students.

-jk
    I find the Zoom meetings greatly reduce the banter and when agenda driven results in shorter, more effective meetings. But that may just be me.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I find the Zoom meetings greatly reduce the banter and when agenda driven results in shorter, more effective meetings. But that may just be me.
    Interesting. I would argue that this is an argument against meetings and for emails. Meetings and committees are an effort to make a better horse that frequently results in a camel. Which is a worse version of a horse.

Oh, I can banter virtually.

snow tires are off for the first time in 18 months (our flagship vehicle)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    snow tires are off for the first time in 18 months (our flagship vehicle)...
    Just riding on the rims?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, I can banter virtually.
    They make buttons for that.

Listen to "The Improvement Association" podcast. It is about the vote harvesting in Bladen County that resulted in an election being thrown out because of fraud for the only time in modern American history. It is a very even handed spelling out of the structural underpinnings that led to the fraud. It is utterly fascinating.

Just riding on the rims?
    I've got the Michelin Man in my corner!

Cinco de Mayo

always a good day to wow and amaze your friends by asking them (without Googlage) to tell you who the Mexicans whupped on Cinco de Mayo...very few get this right.

Real learning going on. Gives me hope.
    Also I remember duck and cover drills. Yes, I’m that old.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I just talked to two co-workers about my fond memories of mimeograph machines. Of course I sniffed the paper! It smelled great!

One more teams to go but it should be a fun one. First board meeting for a new “junior board” I joined for a conservation organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I put together a super cool series of assignments to finish the year about 20th century politics and culture: one about pan-Africanism via the South African revolution of 1994 and Bob Marley's music; one about the influence of Cuba's 1959 revolution on Cuban culture through arts and a look at the Cuban diaspora; one about the Khmer Rouge's attempt to recapture the glory of Angkor in 1970s/80s Cambodia as a response to the damages of colonialism in Cambodia and the rise of global Communism; and the last about the revolutions of 1989, spurred by backlash moments against Communism like the fall of Berlin Wall and Tiananmen Square, as well as old ethno-national conflicts like those in Yugoslavia. Each student will pick one and review a bunch of multimedia material before writing their last weekly essay of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    always a good day to wow and amaze your friends by asking them (without Googlage) to tell you who the Mexicans whupped on Cinco de Mayo...very few get this right.
    The French?

(Didn't look)

El Guapo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The French?

(Didn't look)
    Ding ding!

I put together a super cool series of assignments to finish the year about 20th century politics and culture: one about pan-Africanism via the South African revolution of 1994 and Bob Marley's music; one about the influence of Cuba's 1959 revolution on Cuban culture through arts and a look at the Cuban diaspora; one about the Khmer Rouge's attempt to recapture the glory of Angkor in 1970s/80s Cambodia as a response to the damages of colonialism in Cambodia and the rise of global Communism; and the last about the revolutions of 1989, spurred by backlash moments against Communism like the fall of Berlin Wall and Tiananmen Square, as well as old ethno-national conflicts like those in Yugoslavia. Each student will pick one and review a bunch of multimedia material before writing their last weekly essay of the year.
    Fun! Now we can eat AND talk history!

I just talked to two co-workers about my fond memories of mimeograph machines. Of course I sniffed the paper! It smelled great!
    In elementary school the teacher would distribute mimeographed tests by handing everyone in the front row a pile to pass back. Many of us mastered the art of quickly sniffing the piles as we passed them back over our head to the students behind. Good times!