Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on . . . Snoring??

A certain person in my household who shall remain nameless would really like to see if another person in my household who also shall remain nameless can find a way to reduce his snoring. It is causing the other person to have difficulty sleeping, which has impacts on other aspects of life. Sleeping in separate bedrooms is not the direction that either person wants to go.

So the question is: short of surgery of some sort, has anyone any suggestions on products or techniques or anything that has helped in this area?

Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    A certain person in my household who shall remain nameless would really like to see if another person in my household who also shall remain nameless can find a way to reduce his snoring. It is causing the other person to have difficulty sleeping, which has impacts on other aspects of life. Sleeping in separate bedrooms is not the direction that either person wants to go.

So the question is: short of surgery of some sort, has anyone any suggestions on products or techniques or anything that has helped in this area?

Asking for a friend.
    we have a room down the hall from the main bedroom which has a piece of furniture we call the snoring bed. I guess you could say we are isolationists. It is used "as needed" as we too do not want to go the separate bedroom route.

Wife and I mostly sleep in separate bedrooms. Doesn’t concern us at all.

Asking for a friend.
    That person might want to try Flonase. Also, don't drink in the evening. Lose weight, perhaps.

Don’t sleep on your back.

No whiskey before bed.

I have snored severely since I was a kid when I was built like Brandon Ingram. I'm in my late 40s now. I did various sleep tests (which are not fun but not horrible) and they confirmed my sleep apnea. Had my very large tonsils, adenoids and uvula out (yes, I have no uvula!) and my septum straightened in my early 20s - this time of year because I scheduled it so that I could be off work and recovering during the NCAA tournament. Didn't really help and that surgery as an adult is not horrible but is more complicated than when you are a kid.

I tried CPAP over the years and couldn't tolerate it. My dentist made me a mouth guard but it didn't really help. One world-renowned ENT told me I had three basic choices - use the machine, have a much higher risk of dying young, or he could break my face (you can do surgery where they realign your jaw - it is very complex).

So about 10 years ago I tried the CPAP again and I can now tolerate it - technology has gotten somewhat better so that it is a bit easier to use (for instance, there is a ramp up rather than it just blowing a gust of air in your face immediately), and I found a great sleep doctor who has found the right balance of patience, humor, creativity and kicking me in the backside to make it work. Early on I would take it off in my sleep a lot but now I largely use it through the night. I don't think it has changed how I feel that much but apparently it makes me snore less so happy wife, happy life. And using the CPAP brought down my life insurance rates significantly, which was a nice side benefit (in addition to hopefully helping me to live longer). I looked into one of the implant devices a few years ago but apparently I am 50/50 between the two types of sleep apnea so do not qualify.

So I would advise finding a good sleep doctor and going from there. Decent chance it isn't sleep apnea but it doesn't hurt to ask. There are also pillows people use, losing weight could help, etc. The sleep doctor could help with these suggestions as well.

Asking for a friend.
    Longtime affliction of snoring. I went through a sleep study I have sleep apnea.
    I've lost a bunch of wieght still suffer
    From it ,but less than I did.
    Don't know your wieght nor should I .I've had tonsils removed .
    I purchased the wife a set of sleeping sound earbuds by bose so she doesn't hear my snoring. Might be a option for you.
    Now I get to hear her surf the internet and crank up like a diesel powered generator.
    The sleeping ear buds seem to work for her.
    A couple of hundred bucks for bose.there are multiple brands and multiple price ranges though.
    We were at wits end aswell.
    As she got older her hormone changes
    Made her a light sleeper.so this was
    A alternative that worked for us good luck.

Didn't seem to work for CrazyNotCrazie but mouthgard is worth a try. Can make one for snorer. Don't necessarily need to go to dentist.

A humidifier by the side of my bed helped me a lot.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Anecdotally, I've heard people have had success with Breath Rite strips and nose Vents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Anecdotally, I've heard people have had success with Breath Rite strips and nose Vents.
    I love the Breath Rite strips. Helps me sleep better, but my wife says it hasn't helped the snoring. I do end up flopping onto my back in the night. That for sure doesn't help, but can't seem to stay on my side. She's now in the guest room. But we are nearing 60 so our love lives are over anyhow. LOL

I’m luckier than some of those responding with more serious needs, but I quit beer and my wife likes me again. Mostly.

She thinks I have some level of gluten intolerance. I know I sleep better.

I dropped a lot of weight and that helped. Also separate beds is a good idea to stop her from bludgeoning you to death. We use that if I snore badly. Most of the time I don't.

Breathe right, nasacort, and side sleeping work pretty well for me.

The side sleeping works much better with a robust pillow for head support and small knee pillow.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Breathe right, nasacort, and side sleeping work pretty well for me.

The side sleeping works much better with a robust pillow for head support and small knee pillow.

-jk
    Pillow over the face is also an effective strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Generally it's applied by the significant other.

They're always ready to assist.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Get a sleep study asap. It’s dangerous to you, not just annoying to others.

I’m comfortable with a BiPap machine, not everybody is. But they can test things for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Don’t sleep on your back.
    Yes, and try elevating the head significantly. May have to elevate shoulders too, so you don't wrench up your neck. For short-term experimentation consider trying a recliner or hammock (both of which will do that).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ha-ha-ha! Coming strong tonight, MtnD. Good work.