Page 1500 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 50010001400145014901498149915001501150215101550160020002500 ... LastLast
Results 29,981 to 30,000 of 67238
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    T-Bone leaves for William&Mary on Wednesday. Assuming a negative Covid test (haven't gotten the results yet, hope they get posted by Wednesday night!), he moves into his triple room by himself on Thursday.

Wednesday's Episode will be "The Quarantine Adventures of T-Bone and Dad!" The Drewsk is staying here, probably for the whole semester as UMD is going to be remote only.

T-Bone may spend the entire semester in a room by himself taking online classes. I still think it is better for him to be there and not here. It's a risk but he's an introvert that doesn't like to go to college parties. He may miss at least some social interaction though, but I'm hoping he will find one or two other students that will eat lunch and/or dinner with him.

William & Mary is expanding their outdoor seating at their dining halls. He's a New England kid who wore shorts to class in Vermont in December - he won't mind eating outside in Southern Virginia until Thanksgiving.

The only classes that have announced (that I know about) are going to be remote. I'm hoping he will be able to at least meet with his professors a couple of times during the semester in person, 6 feet apart, of course.

He has been assigned some videos to watch by Friday. One of them is about proper hand-washing. The school is keeping track of whether or not he has logged in. He is not happy about this, as he says, "OMG, I know how to wash my hands!"

I told him to just log on and load up the videos but he doesn't have to actually watch them.

He has to take an online "Understanding Alcohol" course too. He took one before his freshman year at UVM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    He has been assigned some videos to watch by Friday. One of them is about proper hand-washing. The school is keeping track of whether or not he has logged in. He is not happy about this, as he says, "OMG, I know how to wash my hands!"
    Bill Walton said that at his first practice at UCLA, John Wooden started by teaching them all how to tie their shoes. No shame in starting with the basics.

He is not happy about this either.

T-Bone likes an occasional beer. He feels he deserves one after his father has made him mow the lawn. Or after any yardwork. His dad and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bill Walton said that at his first practice at UCLA, John Wooden started by teaching them all how to tie their shoes. No shame in starting with the basics.
    No, there is no shame, but it's a repeat of something he has already done. Did John Wooden teach them how to tie their shoes at the first practice senior year, again, or was it just something they had to learn as freshman?

No, there is no shame, but it's a repeat of something he has already done. Did John Wooden teach them how to tie their shoes at the first practice senior year, again, or was it just something they had to learn as freshman?
    Apparently it was an oft-repeated ritual:

http://blog.damelionetwork.com/sport...esson-for-life

Basketball legend and top sports motivational speaker BILL WALTON will never forget his first practice under the legendary UCLA Bruins coach John Wooden. Walton and the other star recruits, plus famous seniors and members of national championship UCLA teams, were anxious to get started. But first, John Wooden says, “Men, this is how you put your shoes and socks on.” Some of the returning players had been through this before; no matter - they were going to learn it again.

Walton, the country's top-recruited player that year, thought “WHAT!!!???!!! We're top players! We don't need this!"

But learning to tie shoes properly was vital to Wooden. It meant star players would never get a blister which would keep them from playing. The team can’t be its best unless everyone’s able to play.

John Wooden is arguably the greatest coach of all-time, regardless of sport yet he never talked about winning. Wooden taught his players to focus on doing their best; which meant practicing the fundamentals well. Like the proper way to lace up shoes. It was a John Wooden success lesson.

Judging by how many kids tie their shoes with the slipped version of a granny knot v a square knot, remedial shoe tying should be a thing!

-jk

As a transfer student, he's having to do a bunch of stuff that he did as a freshman and he finds it annoying. I do too. I understand why the university is asking but a lot of it can be classified as CYA stuff and a kid with his record ought to be able to "place out" of at least some of it. I agree with him that the "Understanding Alcohol" course is a waste of his time. He does not need it and he's done something very similar already. And, for goodness' sakes, he lived in the Wellness dorm at UVM as a freshman - they weren't allowed to drink alcohol in the dorm, or smoke pot, or have paraphernalia around, or alcohol related posters, souvenirs, what have you.

Apparently it was an oft-repeated ritual:

http://blog.damelionetwork.com/sport...esson-for-life
    Yeah, I think comparing what John Wooden did on the first day of practice with his scholarship basketball players with a university making my son watch videos about alcohol awareness and washing hands is a false equivalency. Sorry.

I have no wish to start a fight, but, I think one reason I view this stuff differently from you, OPK, and you - jk, is that I'm the one that has always had to fill out the school forms, every year, for all of my kids. Is my son old enough that he ought to be taking care of this stuff himself? Sure. But so is my husband, and when it comes to making sure official forms get filled out and requirements are met and deadlines don't get overlooked - all of that stuff falls to me. All of it. So, it's not just my son's time that is being wasted, it's mine. One time I made my husband fill out one of the wanker school forms and he did it wrong. I had to get another form from the school and fill it out properly, so, that was just more work for me. Perhaps you are the form filler outer in your families, and if so, then by all means compare John Wooden's craziness to this busy work, but if you aren't . . .

Yeah, I think comparing what John Wooden did on the first day of practice with his scholarship basketball players with a university making my son watch videos about alcohol awareness and washing hands is a false equivalency. Sorry.
    I have no wish to start a fight, but, I think one reason I view this stuff differently from you, OPK, and you - jk, is that I'm the one that has always had to fill out the school forms, every year, for all of my kids. Is my son old enough that he ought to be taking care of this stuff himself? Sure. But so is my husband, and when it comes to making sure official forms get filled out and requirements are met and deadlines don't get overlooked - all of that stuff falls to me. All of it. So, it's not just my son's time that is being wasted, it's mine. One time I made my husband fill out one of the wanker school forms and he did it wrong. I had to get another form from the school and fill it out properly, so, that was just more work for me. Perhaps you are the form filler outer in your families, and if so, then by all means compare John Wooden's craziness to this busy work, but if you aren't . . .
    I was just trying to raise a factoid that some might find interesting. No more and no less. Since my effort obviously was not taken in the manner intended, I will leave it at that and apologize that i did not articulate it properly. Mods, feel free to delete my posts on the topic.

My efforts in the kitchen were satisfying today and helped me to start really getting my brain around the impending start of a very weird new school year.
    D73F5C5C-9E97-4376-8934-7EF9808484F9.jpg

I posted about lawnmowers.

I was just trying to raise a factoid that some might find interesting. No more and no less. Since my effort obviously was not taken in the manner intended, I will leave it at that and apologize that i did not articulate it properly. Mods, feel free to delete my posts on the topic.
    No apologies needed! I've actually always enjoyed that story. My response was not taken in the manner intended either. Normally, I'd find the story of John Wooden making Bill Walton tie his shoes amusing, but, I'm super annoyed at having to make my son watch a video about washing his hands so that he can pick up his room key. He's annoyed by it too. And yeah, I've got to make him watch it. He won't do it on his own.

Oh and W&M just sent out the announcement that they have to watch the hand washing video today, it has to be done by Friday, I'm helping him pack tomorrow because he's leaving on Wednesday, so, in addition to everything else I'm doing, including monitoring the website that will post his Covid 19 test result, I know have to make sure he watches a handwashing video. AAHhhhh!!! It's really not the same as John Wooden.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 08-10-2020 at 11:47 PM.