Page 1946 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 94614461846189619361944194519461947194819561996204624462946 ... LastLast
Results 38,901 to 38,920 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, dog had someone on the end of the 25 foot leash, on a path in the woods, dogs apparently saw each other before the leash holder did, 25 feet of leash is NOT a way to control one's dog unless you're way out in the open...this was at least the third dog the Akita has attacked in the last two weeks...
    Put in that context it sounds criminally irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately for the dog, it will likely be put down and the owner may face criminal consequences.

it was, though my understanding of dog law is that miscreants are generally not subject to meaningful penalties...I trust the local dog ordinance will be invoked, that has various provisions.
    Most of us just depend upon common sense, i.e. if we happen to have a dog that doesn't play well with others, we keep it away from others...

it was, though my understanding of dog law is that miscreants are generally not subject to meaningful penalties...I trust the local dog ordinance will be invoked, that has various provisions.
    Most of us just depend upon common sense, i.e. if we happen to have a dog that doesn't play well with others, we keep it away from others...
    I would never keep a dog that was even remotely aggressive. I don't like that level of liability in ny life. I've only ever had slobbering, loveable, cuddly mutts.

However, if an aggressive dog on a 25' "leash" attacked them, I would go completely ballistic.

yes, dog had someone on the end of the 25 foot leash, on a path in the woods, dogs apparently saw each other before the leash holder did, 25 feet of leash is NOT a way to control one's dog unless you're way out in the open...this was at least the third dog the Akita has attacked in the last two weeks...
    This kind of thing terrifies me. My baby (pictured top left) only weighs like 15 pounds, and is sometimes too friendly/bold for her own good. She’d be quick work for a large, aggressive, uncontrolled animal.

I would never keep a dog that was even remotely aggressive. I don't like that level of liability in ny life. I've only ever had slobbering, loveable, cuddly mutts.

However, if an aggressive dog on a 25' "leash" attacked them, I would go completely ballistic.
    We have a dog with fear and leash-specific aggression. No idea why...it could have been something we did wrong or he was hard wired that way. We’ve worked with lots of trainers over the years and essentially come down to controlled coping versus solving. He’s intensely loyal to the people he knows and the dogs, cats, etc he met early in his life he’s great with but about one year old he started to have issues. He’s nuzzle punched one person (a trainer that got in his face) and when off leash dogs come up to him, he lunges and is aggressive. I have little doubt he’d attack an intruder.

We would NEVER get rid of him though. If there was ever an incident, I would move out of the state before giving him up. We like to think we’re responsible and our biggest issue is people yelling “my dog is friendly” when it’s off leash in a park with leash laws and us yelling back “ours is not”. Leash laws are there for both parties. Many owners think if their dog is friendly, everyone and every dog should be okay with it coming up to them.

I figure, like people, dogs are allowed to have their issues and we love him all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This kind of thing terrifies me. My baby (pictured top left) only weighs like 15 pounds, and is sometimes too friendly/bold for her own good. She’d be quick work for a large, aggressive, uncontrolled animal.
    yes, for this reason we have settled on 40 years of labrador retrievers...I do know of others like bunda who have dogs with some issues, but like him, they know their dogs and control them responsibly. Our neighbor has been clueless for 20 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I don't remember which street you were on. I want to say Blanchard? I was Emerald Circle. We had a fancy split level that my parents picked up for $17,000 a year later in 1963.
    Brentwood, near Euclid. We backed up to the Covils. Moved out in November of 1973 - outgrew it with three kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Bingo. Nobody likes Middle Schoolers and nobody likes being a Middle Schooler. It is our penance for the fruits of procreation, recreational bump and grinding, and to have an ex say, "S/he really glew up..." some years later and with a hint of regret.
    I loved Junior High. Had a blast. Ran with the smart kids, and we ran the school!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I was a bad dog owner as a teenager and I made a lot of mistakes with that dog. I haven't owned another one. I think I would be a good dog owner now, but life hasn't encouraged me to be one. I now say that I look at dogs the way lots of people look at babies, I'll cuddle, pet, and play with them, but, when it's time to deal with issues, hand them back to the people responsible for them.

I am an excellent guinea pig owner.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I loved Junior High. Had a blast. Ran with the smart kids, and we ran the school!
    Go Vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Brentwood, near Euclid. We backed up to the Covils. Moved out in November of 1973 - outgrew it with three kids.
    I got the 'B' part right! And the general area - I knew it was over that way. You went over to Hunter's Wood after that, right? (My parents live in Hunter's Wood now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I got the 'B' part right! And the general area - I knew it was over that way. You went over to Hunter's Wood after that, right? (My parents live in Hunter's Wood now.)
    Drew is in "old" Hunter's Wood. I am in Lake Park, off Sedwick and Grandale.

and, yes, Go Vikings! And Falcons! And Parkwood Panthers!

Just realized what you were asking. My parents moved us to Herndon, (then called John Carpenter.) Mom is still there.

My co-worker was telling me recently that she was walking her dog on a leash. An unleashed (much smaller) dog attacked them. Her dog defended her by biting the smaller, attacking dog. Now, her dog has only one more strike before he gets put down, even though he was defending himself and owner from an unleashed, aggressive dog. NC law, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    We have a dog with fear and leash-specific aggression. No idea why...it could have been something we did wrong or he was hard wired that way. We’ve worked with lots of trainers over the years and essentially come down to controlled coping versus solving. He’s intensely loyal to the people he knows and the dogs, cats, etc he met early in his life he’s great with but about one year old he started to have issues. He’s nuzzle punched one person (a trainer that got in his face) and when off leash dogs come up to him, he lunges and is aggressive. I have little doubt he’d attack an intruder.

We would NEVER get rid of him though. If there was ever an incident, I would move out of the state before giving him up. We like to think we’re responsible and our biggest issue is people yelling “my dog is friendly” when it’s off leash in a park with leash laws and us yelling back “ours is not”. Leash laws are there for both parties. Many owners think if their dog is friendly, everyone and every dog should be okay with it coming up to them.

I figure, like people, dogs are allowed to have their issues and we love him all the same.
    I did not mean to insinuate that it is irresponsible to own problem breeds or dogs - I hope it didn't read that way, and if it did I apologize. I only meant that to me, the additional burden, stress, and liability are things I do not care to take on. My mutts are loveable idiots. The most aggressive thing they do is put the cat's head in their mouth and hold it there. I swear they laugh while the do it. The cat tolerates it until she doesn't.

...My mutts are loveable idiots. The most aggressive thing they do is put the cat's head in their mouth and hold it there. I swear they laugh while the do it. The cat tolerates it until she doesn't.
    We've begun taking Violet (who very much fits the description of "loveable idiot") on RV adventures. She came with us to Florida last week, and on our stopover on the way down, briefly decided she wanted to go meet a very large and cantankerous RV lot cat. Some non-subtle messaging from the cat and the subsequent "actually, WTF even is that thing?!" response from Violet helped her to think better of the endeavor. Good thing, because she would've likely gotten her [butt] kicked.

I did not mean to insinuate that it is irresponsible to own problem breeds or dogs - I hope it didn't read that way, and if it did I apologize. I only meant that to me, the additional burden, stress, and liability are things I do not care to take on. My mutts are loveable idiots. The most aggressive thing they do is put the cat's head in their mouth and hold it there. I swear they laugh while the do it. The cat tolerates it until she doesn't.
    Oh, no offense taken. I had pretty amiable dogs growing up and we’ve learned a lot with this one. He’s ours, he’s just complicated and we have to manage accordingly.

Lunch time.

Anybody got a good recommendation or two for snoring remedies? Asking for a spouse.

I mean friend.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Anybody got a good recommendation or two for snoring remedies? Asking for a spouse.

I mean friend.
    Murder? Hit submit too soon. I use breathe right strips.