Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2024 MLB In Season Discussion

Opening day is almost upon us (March 28) and the L.A. Dodgers are the current betting favorites to win the fall classic with the Braves and Yankees close behind. I think you have to include Houston, Philly, Texas, Baltimore and maybe Toronto in the next tier of teams that have a realistic shot.

Obviously, LA will dominate the headlines with the signings of Ohtani and Yamamoto after already having two MVP frontrunners on the same team. They have a mini All Star team going on over there but they aren't perfect. They have legitimate concerns on their staff with Ohtani not pitching this year.

Atlanta to me looks like the most complete team on paper but we all know that means nothing. I think their biggest concern is staying healthy. Acuna has already experienced irritation in his surgically repaired knee and they took a gamble signing Chris Sale from Boston. He has looked really good so far but keeping him fresh for the entire season is a huge question mark. If they are healthy in October they will be hard to beat.

New York was mediocre in 2023 but brought in Soto giving them arguably the best top trio in baseball outside of L.A. in Soto, Cole and Judge. Health is a big issue with them as well with Judge missing a large amount of time last season attributed to their almost .500 record.

In baseball it's who's hot in October but I think if I was a betting man I would take these three teams over the field in a heartbeat.

Can't wait to get things going and I'll be in Atlanta for a weekend series with Cleveland next month to cheer on the Braves!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Opening day may be a little more than 2 weeks out, but we get the first games of the season next week when the Dodgers and my Padres face off for a two game series in Korea.

I’m curious how the trip will impact the teams, but definitely looking forward to seeing Ha Seong Kim play in his native country.

Wednesday March 20th,, 6 AM the Padres take on the Dodgers in Seoul S Korea . 2 games. Then back to the States to finish Spring Training ..

I don't even know who my 4 starting pitchers are much less 5 .. I don't know who will start in center field. I have 4 possibiities to play short stop lol.

I'm hoping my pre season frustrations are highly over exaggerated ..

Blake Snell, come home, you're good for 14 W

PLAY BALL

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Gerrit Cole, Yankee ace and 2023 Cy Young award winner, is getting an MRI on his elbow tomorrow. Not a good sign for the Yankees.

(Source: MLB Trade Rumors - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/...ow-injury.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Wednesday March 20th,, 6 AM the Padres take on the Dodgers in Seoul S Korea . 2 games. Then back to the States to finish Spring Training ..

I don't even know who my 4 starting pitchers are much less 5 .. I don't know who will start in center field. I have 4 possibiities to play short stop lol.

I'm hoping my pre season frustrations are highly over exaggerated ..

Blake Snell, come home, you're good for 14 W

PLAY BALL
    I hear ya, but if Darvish and Musgrove can return to form, Niebla can work his magic with King and something else comes together in the back end of the rotation and bullpen, maybe the Friars can pull together enough pitching to get to the trade deadline and be deserving buyers this year (unlike last year when they probably should have accepted reality and traded Hader and Snell, as much as I loved watching Blake pitch last years).

I’ve got hopes for Merrill in Center, and not just because it would put a shortstop at 6 of the 7 positions in the field when Manny gets back to Third.
    Carolina delenda est

Since we're prognosticating, put me down for Cincinnati winning a close NL Central with 92 wins +/-. Are they ready to take on LA and Atlanta? Not yet, but I think they take another step this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Since we're prognosticating, put me down for Cincinnati winning a close NL Central with 92 wins +/-. Are they ready to take on LA and Atlanta? Not yet, but I think they take another step this season.
    NL Central should be a good race among the Reds, Cards and Cubs (with the Bellinger and Imanaga signings and managerial upgrade)

I think the Dodgers will get off to a hot start against my Cardinals and not look back. The Cards have Edman, center fielder, Nootbar, left fielder and Sonny Gray, #1 starter likely out for the Dodger series to open the season. Then it's the @Padres, Marlins, and the Phillies. The starting rotation of Gray, Gibson, Lynn, Mikolas and Matz isn't going to scare anyone.

Spencer Strider was in contention for the Cy Young last year. What did he do this off season to improve? Oh not much, he just added a wicked curveball to complement his already impressive fast ball and deadly slider. Check out the video below showing an overlay of his pitches and why it will be so hard to hit off of him now. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for MLB hitters to hit a baseball trying to decide what's coming at you that fast with that much movement difference.

Strider has pithed a total of 14 innings so far this spring. He has yet to give up a run and has struck out 22 batters!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1767260405892595984
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Against all odds, the Dodgers, ranked only 7th in 2024 payroll, are on pace to go 162-0!

Wow! Breaking news that Ohtani’s long time interpreter is accused of stealing $4.5 million from him to cover gambling debts. The Dodgers have fired him. Supposedly they were good friends and have worked together since Ohtani first joined the Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Against all odds, the Dodgers, ranked only 7th in 2024 payroll, are on pace to go 162-0!
    The play that gave them the lead in that win was so fluky - ball literally went through the webbing of the first baseman’s mitt on an otherwise easy-to-field groundout. Very much a “not again” start to the season for the Padres.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Wow! Breaking news that Ohtani’s long time interpreter is accused of stealing $4.5 million from him to cover gambling debts. The Dodgers have fired him. Supposedly they were good friends and have worked together since Ohtani first joined the Angels.
    This sounds bad. Really bad. And not just for the interpreter, who has told two *completely* different stories.

Not exactly a warm welcome to MLB for Yamamoto. One inning, 5 ER, and ultimately a loss for his debut.

No doubt that better days are ahead for him and the Dodgers. But it can't be fun to stare at a 45.00 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    This sounds bad. Really bad. And not just for the interpreter, who has told two *completely* different stories.
    Quite the story and I'm sure there's a ton we don't know. Good thing Ohtani has money to burn because he just burned some.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    This whole thing just seems super weird. How does someone take $4.5 million without being noticed? I wonder if there is a lot more going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    This whole thing just seems super weird. How does someone take $4.5 million without being noticed? I wonder if there is a lot more going on here.
    I don’t think he did. I think Ohtani was giving his good friend and closest work companion money to help support his gambling habit, but when someone learned of the arrangement, they told Ohtani that that could be construed to be illegal betting by Ohtani. So for the good of the star and the franchise, Ohtani and his interpreter needed to get their stories straight and the little fish had to take the fall.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t think he did. I think Ohtani was giving his good friend and closest work companion money to help support his gambling habit, but when someone learned of the arrangement, they told Ohtani that that could be construed to be illegal betting by Ohtani. So for the good of the star and the franchise, Ohtani and his interpreter needed to get their stories straight and the little fish had to take the fall.
    Yeah, I suspect this is the case. The original story “Ohtani paid my debts because he is a nice friend” is probably accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I suspect this is the case. The original story “Ohtani paid my debts because he is a nice friend” is probably accurate.
    I don't have a dog in this hunt (if I did, it would be an Akita) but it seems to me the "solution" of firing the interpreter and accusing him of "massive theft" is erroneous and (I'll leave this to our legal staff) possibly libelous.
    The interpreter runs up a huge gambling debt and then Ohtani transfers money to him to cover the debt? Not sure how this is theft in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt (if I did, it would be an Akita) but it seems to me the "solution" of firing the interpreter and accusing him of "massive theft" is erroneous and (I'll leave this to our legal staff) possibly libelous.
    The interpreter runs up a huge gambling debt and then Ohtani transfers money to him to cover the debt? Not sure how this is theft in any way.
    Maybe not, but he still has to be fired. You can't be that close to an active player and be involved with gambling. My very first thought on reading the story was, "$4.5 million?!? Are we sure those were the interpreter's wagers, or was he just the front man?" I'm not saying those were Ohtani's bets. I want to be really clear about that. But I'm also not sure they weren't, and that's a problem for baseball's biggest star.