Page 2322 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 132218222222227223122320232123222323232423322372242228223322 ... LastLast
Results 46,421 to 46,440 of 67403
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So the bumpkin Wombles headed to Boston Monday, checked into the nice hotel, then walked a couple blocks to the Star Market on Huntington to get some provisions. Going up the narrow concrete steps to the second floor (weird second floor market) we found our selves in the middle of a lot of pushing, shoving, yelling, all part of a busted Fried Chicken Heist...store undercover guy had found three droogs exiting with a nice pile of friend chicken tucked under a coat, not a good scene...wondered for a moment if we might get sucked into the fray.
    Last I checked, it's Thursday. Why are we just hearing about this today?!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Last I checked, it's Thursday. Why are we just hearing about this today?!
    I was down in Boson for some annual medical tests, see friends, eat way too much food, I just didn't prioritize posting as I should have. It was quite a scene.

Years ago a bunch of us were in the Zoom Zoom room in Chapel Hill eating those cheap sizzle steaks that someone tasted greasy-good, when two of the VERY sizeable waiters collided and started throwing punches, each weighed in the 220-240 lb range, blood ended up on some of our plates...disquieting.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was down in Boson for some annual medical tests, see friends, eat way too much food, I just didn't prioritize posting as I should have. It was quite a scene.

Years ago a bunch of us were in the Zoom Zoom room in Chapel Hill eating those cheap sizzle steaks that someone tasted greasy-good, when two of the VERY sizeable waiters collided and started throwing punches, each weighed in the 220-240 lb range, blood ended up on some of our plates...disquieting.
    Did you get your steak bloody as hell or burnt to a crisp?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I do remember we got it free. (steaks were all the same, cheap meat, heavily pounded, grease sizzling on metal platters, just right for growing boys).

And how much did the milkshakes cost?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fi' dolla shakes.

Sounds like they did bring all the boys to the yard.

Does anyone else like a good malted milkshake? I know it's old school, but that little malted fizz really adds something. I discovered how much I like them (vanilla malted) a few years ago.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Does anyone else like a good malted milkshake? I know it's old school, but that little malted fizz really adds something. I discovered how much I like them (vanilla malted) a few years ago.
    I love malts. I think the malt is an especially good complement to certain flavors like chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter...those more "savory" flavors, as opposed to strawberry or something.

Yes, I use malt syrup instead of powder.

Malt syrup, btw, is the secret ingredient for homemade N.Y.-style bagels. That and high gluten flour (more than just bread flour).

I still remember the day I discovered chocolate malted shakes, many decades ago now ... I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Remains found yesterday confirmed to be those of Brian Laundrie.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I just saw that.

I just saw that.
    Turns out he was exactly where they thought he was. I hope the Petito family gets answers but seems unlikely. Also seems the Laundrie parents may face some serious questions.

Turns out he was exactly where they thought he was. I hope the Petito family gets answers but seems unlikely. Also seems the Laundrie parents may face some serious questions.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought it was highly unlikely that they were going to find him alive. Given the amount of publicity and photos on TV and all over the internet, it's hard to stay "on the lam" for very long, especially if he did not have his cell phone or wallet with him (as has been reported).

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I thought it was highly unlikely that they were going to find him alive. Given the amount of publicity and photos on TV and all over the internet, it's hard to stay "on the lam" for very long, especially if he did not have his cell phone or wallet with him (as has been reported).
    Yeah, I did not believe he could survive that long in the elements. I assumed if he was alive he was holed up with support somewhere.

I watched the interview with the family lawyer who was pretty hostile/angry but had an interesting response when asked if the Laundrie parents were ethically bound to respond to Petitos parents even though they exercised their legal right to silence. The lawyer basically said he wasn’t prepared to discuss that at this time.

Yeah, I did not believe he could survive that long in the elements. I assumed if he was alive he was holed up with support somewhere.

I watched the interview with the family lawyer who was pretty hostile/angry but had an interesting response when asked if the Laundrie parents were ethically bound to respond to Petitos parents even though they exercised their legal right to silence. The lawyer basically said he wasn’t prepared to discuss that at this time.
    Yea, unless you're well prepared and very experienced with outdoor survival skills, it's very tough to survive long times in the wilderness (especially when dozens of law enforcement people are out looking for you). It's also not easy to try to "run from the law". You need fake ID's, access to cash, a place to stay, some form of transportation and a lot of luck to escape the long arm of the law.

Interestingly, I worked at a law firm many years ago (decades) where the biggest client of the firm, who was the CEO and president of a large federal credit union, who had engaged in massive bank fraud. Right before his sentencing (and he was given a 24-year sentence by the federal judge), he fled and was on the lam for over a year, despite being on the FBI's most wanted list and being spotlighted on the TV show "America's Most Wanted". He eventually turned himself in (after "finding Jesus") but he had spent a large amount of time planning his escape and how he would live.

I remember a Fort DeSoto park ranger telling me about a guy who "disappeared" from the area while paddle boarding only to be found elsewhere in the country much later on. Apparently some people were after him. And that ranger was the one I had read about in the paper who found a sock full of foot bones on Egmont Key. Ew. I also remember maybe ten years back when a drunk guy tried to swim across this fairly narrow waterway at the north end of the island and was never seen again. A very strong current, an eddy, and sharks probably explain that one.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, unless you're well prepared and very experienced with outdoor survival skills, it's very tough to survive long times in the wilderness (especially when dozens of law enforcement people are out looking for you). It's also not easy to try to "run from the law". You need fake ID's, access to cash, a place to stay, some form of transportation and a lot of luck to escape the long arm of the law.

Interestingly, I worked at a law firm many years ago (decades) where the biggest client of the firm, who was the CEO and president of a large federal credit union, who had engaged in massive bank fraud. Right before his sentencing (and he was given a 24-year sentence by the federal judge), he fled and was on the lam for over a year, despite being on the FBI's most wanted list and being spotlighted on the TV show "America's Most Wanted". He eventually turned himself in (after "finding Jesus") but he had spent a large amount of time planning his escape and how he would live.
    Did he stay stateside or flee to outside the U.S.? There are certainly places you can go in the world that don't have extradition agreements with the U.S.

Did he stay stateside or flee to outside the U.S.? There are certainly places you can go in the world that don't have extradition agreements with the U.S.
    Cambodia doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the U.S., and they absolutely revere teachers there.
    Not that I’ve given this any thought or done any research.