Page 1618 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 61811181518156816081616161716181619162016281668171821182618 ... LastLast
Results 32,341 to 32,360 of 67382
    more mixed messaging: it's sunny and 65 now and my wife's car is in getting new snow tires

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    more mixed messaging: it's sunny and 65 now and my wife's car is in getting new snow tires
    Do you run them year round? Or alternate based on season?

Thanks for all the thoughts for my niece. He's a good guy and we all like him but if it wasn't to be, better to know now.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Do you run them year round? Or alternate based on season?
    Generally (since her car is the flagship of the fleet) we run summer tires in the warm weather, snows in winter...this year, because of the Covid (almost no driving) and the age of the snow tires (seven years) we just wore them down during the summer, away they go.

TOH Season 6 - yes, I went backwards. And found myself uttering the phrase, "There is no way that meets code." as they toured the next house to be worked on.

Just can't do it. While the year 1984 was a pretty good one for me, we've learned so much and construction methods have changed. This may mean skipping the entire Steve Thomas era('89-'03).

Just can't do it. While the year 1984 was a pretty good one for me, we've learned so much and construction methods have changed. This may mean skipping the entire Steve Thomas era('89-'03).
    are you a professional builder? Man, the stuff I see that people do when building houses (we don't have building codes here for residences)...one neighbor built a house with no roof eaves, the roof just came down and ended flush with the outside walls...last year they almost had to tear the place down, there was so much mold and rot...

are you a professional builder? Man, the stuff I see that people do when building houses (we don't have building codes here for residences)...one neighbor built a house with no roof eaves, the roof just came down and ended flush with the outside walls...last year they almost had to tear the place down, there was so much mold and rot...
    That was the back of my house before we put the second floor on. Well, without the mold and just a tiny bit of rot. I was diligent keeping that gutter clean, even going out during storms, standing on chair, and pulling a handful of leaves when it started overflowing.

Now we have proper eaves all around. And no silly, cosmetic valleys in the roof, either, despite our builder's best efforts to add gables. Just two planes intersecting in a single ridge. Way too much tree stuff falling down to encourage it to collect!

-jk

Just a interested DIY'er. Houses are a bit like cars in that there is a lot more technology going in to them these days than the average practitioner can fully understand. I'm interested in knowing what works and doesn't and will provide the most value. I'm thinking my next home may be a "custom" build.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Way too much tree stuff falling down to encourage it to collect!-jk
    So, that is my problem. Previous owners did homemade "gutter guards" of the worst kind for the tons of pine straw and leaves I get. Especially the pine straw. Leaf Guard just offers a flat surface for the debris to collect. Then you still have to sweep it off the guards, which defeats the purpose, especially on a two-story house. I am looking for a recommendation for a gutter guard where EVERYTHING rolls off while the water slips into the gutter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    So, that is my problem. Previous owners did homemade "gutter guards" of the worst kind for the tons of pine straw and leaves I get. Especially the pine straw. Leaf Guard just offers a flat surface for the debris to collect. Then you still have to sweep it off the guards, which defeats the purpose, especially on a two-story house. I am looking for a recommendation for a gutter guard where EVERYTHING rolls off while the water slips into the gutter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    When you find it, let me know! Regular leaves seem easy to manage. It’s the rest of the junk that causes so much trouble.

-jk

I chose to get rid of gutters for the most part, just put down lots of crushed stone where the water comes down so it doesn't splash on the house...have lots of snow and a standing seam metal roof complicates the issues.

Yeah, jk, a curse on gables, glad I have none, the simpler the better up there unless you live in California or something..

My dishwasher - ordered in August - is finally in an running! Hooray! And it's quiet.

Too quiet.

Well, not really too quiet - it's just pleasantly quiet, especially compared to the former dishwasher. And he only grumbled a little more then the appliance that died in August.

-jk

My dishwasher - ordered in August - is finally in an running! Hooray! And it's quiet.

Too quiet.

Well, not really too quiet - it's just pleasantly quiet, especially compared to the former dishwasher. And he only grumbled a little more then the appliance that died in August.

-jk

Woohoo!!! How often did you run the old dishwasher?

Woohoo!!! How often did you run the old dishwasher?
    BC (before covid) we ran it every day or two. Once we were home all day every day, it ran every day, and occasionally twice a day if we were doing a lot of cooking.

-jk

Correction: LEAF FILTER is useless where I live. LEAF GUARD might actually work, but I fear the cost.

Correction: LEAF FILTER is useless where I live. LEAF GUARD might actually work, but I fear the cost.
    Is leaf filter the mesh stuff? We have that on our farm house. It does fairly well, but there are no trees over the farm house. The folks using the hard ones have to get the gutters cleaned out every year or two, which is a pain as you have to lift them up to get the gunk out.

My house has a major canopy - you can't see my house from google satellite view. And they're mostly tulip poplars, which drop a variety of stuff from april through november. My ladder leans against my house most of the year. I climb up regularly with my battery leaf blower to clear the gutters.

-jk

Is leaf filter the mesh stuff? We have that on our farm house. It does fairly well, but there are no trees over the farm house. The folks using the hard ones have to get the gutters cleaned out every year or two, which is a pain as you have to lift them up to get the gunk out.

My house has a major canopy - you can't see my house from google satellite view. And they're mostly tulip poplars, which drop a variety of stuff from april through november. My ladder leans against my house most of the year. I climb up regularly with my battery leaf blower to clear the gutters.

-jk
    Yes, Leaf Filter is the mesh. I tried to warn my brother before he got them, but he did not listen, and everything just piles on top and he has to clean them off. I have TONS of pinestraw. Then leaves. Not so much gunk as far as I know, except for pollen in the spring, and then it's a yellow nightmare.

BC (before covid) we ran it every day or two. Once we were home all day every day, it ran every day, and occasionally twice a day if we were doing a lot of cooking.

-jk
    Given I'm a single person household and run mine much less frequently, I'm hoping I get nearly my lifetime use from the one in my house.

Given I'm a single person household and run mine much less frequently, I'm hoping I get nearly my lifetime use from the one in my house.
    my dishwasher (GE) has been good, but the drain hose began to leak (30+ years old) and it took the lads at the appliance shop five times to fix it...

normal high temp for us these days is around 50...yet it has been, and is going to be, sunny and 70 for the next several days...which prompted me to look up the traditional term "Indian Summer" to see if it is seen as offensive these days.
    Most sources are equivocal on this...has been used for a long time in a non pejorative fashion, but I'm wondering what the new, safer term might be...in any event, it's glorious, we just don't tend to see this in November.