Page 2193 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 119316932093214321832191219221932194219522032243229326933193 ... LastLast
Results 43,841 to 43,860 of 67394
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I was active in both threads and still don't have any idea about the lawnmower incident.
    The only drama I'm aware of is mattman91 burning all the local bridges on his way out of town in the Presidential Election Thread. Which was positively mesmerizing.
    Somehow, I missed out on that bit of excitement. It must have happened during one of my (many) self-imposed vacations from that thread. I give myself vacations from the coronavirus thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I was active in both threads and still don't have any idea about the lawnmower incident.
    The only drama I'm aware of is mattman91 burning all the local bridges on his way out of town in the Presidential Election Thread. Which was positively mesmerizing.
    We were discussing lawnmowers in this thread. I used to check in on the beer thread every once in awhile. I happened to do it around the same time. The denizens of the beer thread spent several posts remarking how beer was much more interesting than lawnmowers. Since those comments proved to me that the beer folks actually read this thread, I posted something here along the lines of - if you want to talk about nothing, join us, if you want to talk about beer, talk about beer, but don't come here and steal our ideas for talking about nothing and put them in the beer thread. Post in the LTE what belongs in the LTE. As far as I know, that comment was not taken as a playful poke but more as a gauntlet thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Somehow, I missed out on that bit of excitement. It must have happened during one of my (many) self-imposed vacations from that thread. I give myself vacations from the coronavirus thread too.
    I was pretty active on that thread too and don’t remember that…but I was also put on mandatory vacation several times, one of which was entirely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Alford plea b/c of that idiot lab guy Duane Deaver in Greensboro. He's been out a few years now.
    What that guy did was egregious. Many innocent people went to jail because of him. I watched The Staircase, I'm not convinced Peterson is guilty. Deaver's involvement in the case certainly muddies the waters and when the waters are that muddy, there is reasonable doubt.

Also, the statistician's hat, if someone testifies in court all the time as an expert witness for the prosecution and never, ever, ever comes back with "your premise of the case is wrong", that person is not expert witness, they're a hack paid by the state to get convictions. If I am ever on a jury and it is established that an expert witness has made testifying for the prosecution a side hustle, I will discount every single word they say.

What that guy did was egregious. Many innocent people went to jail because of him. I watched The Staircase, I'm not convinced Peterson is guilty. Deaver's involvement in the case certainly muddies the waters and when the waters are that muddy, there is reasonable doubt.

Also, the statistician's hat, if someone testifies in court all the time as an expert witness for the prosecution and never, ever, ever comes back with "your premise of the case is wrong", that person is not expert witness, they're a hack paid by the state to get convictions. If I am ever on a jury and it is established that an expert witness has made testifying for the prosecution a side hustle, I will discount every single word they say.
    Oh, I have my own theories about all of this, and he is not "innocent" in any of them. Deaver's testimony has no influence on this. But yes, Deaver messed up big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I loved that t-shirt. Wish I still had it.
    Too late in life, I've tried to preserve as much of my undergrad clothing as I can. I'm not sure why. I did a better job with the stuff I got while in grad school.

Speaking of lawnmowers, I'm debating getting one of these:

20210803_163747.jpg
    Reel mowing provides a better cut, but once the grass gets thick it is very tough to mow with a manual reel mower. In May and June, I was spending 3-4 hours a week trying to cut my grass. Out came the powered rotary mower.

I don’t intend to relitigate the beef between threads. I will simply say that those that helped provoke it know who they are, or surely should. And that we are worse off for having lost a number of very good posters and people.

Sorry to the extent my post may have led to the issue resurfacing. That certainly was not my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I was pretty active on that thread too and don’t remember that…but I was also put on mandatory vacation several times, one of which was entirely worth it.
    Yeah. I complained about you a lot. I actually only got my wrist slapped once for saying something bad about a Senate candidate. I called him a moron. But I only got a stern talking to. That Senator is still a moron.

There is one dude on the plague thread I ain't responding to. Y'all have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don’t intend to relitigate the beef between threads. I will simply say that those that helped provoke it know who they are, or surely should. And that we are worse off for having lost a number of very good posters and people.

Sorry to the extent my post may have led to the issue resurfacing. That certainly was not my intent.
    I mean, I provoked it, I think, but I never felt like it was a problem. Sure, for awhile I wanted the LTE to live up to its name but in the end, when somebody wants something more than you do, accept defeat graciously. That's where I was when the Deebers left - graciously accepting defeat. If any of them left mad at me, I'm sorry that was the case. I wasn't mad at any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Is it something recent? As in something posted today?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That's been an amazingly informative and friendly thread for the most part. Especially given how awkward and gross most discussion on that topic has been nationally.

I'm thankful for it.

I prefer marinading beef to relitigating it but it really depends on individual tastes. The best beef just needs salt and heat, IMO.

Is it something recent? As in something posted today?
    Yes. Amazing thread. Just that one dude.

There certainly was a lot of pearl clutching going on on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    There certainly was a lot of pearl clutching going on on all sides.
    I think the disagreement was more heartfelt and less glib than that. But it’s done.

I think the disagreement was more heartfelt and less glib than that. But it’s done.
    Hmmm, then I wasn't a part of the disagreement. Something was going on I didn't know about. I was surprised at the farewell posts and I was sorry to see them go.

Pregnant wife’s birthday so I’m in Starbucks ordering a decaf strawberry funnel cake blended Frappuccino with a straight face (behind my mask).

Hmmm, then I wasn't a part of the disagreement. Something was going on I didn't know about. I was surprised at the farewell posts and I was sorry to see them go.
    I seem to have missed this entire thing and now I’m curious but reticent to pick scabs.