Page 1175 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 1756751075112511651173117411751176117711851225127516752175 ... LastLast
Results 23,481 to 23,500 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They banned aluminum bats and spitballs. Just sayin’
    But do you have empirical evidence that spitballs have any impact on the effectiveness of a pitch? Here is a link to an article that confirms my bias www.imright.com/spitballmythsvsfacts

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    But do you have empirical evidence that spitballs have any impact on the effectiveness of a pitch? Here is a link to an article that confirms my bias www.imright.com/spitballmythsvsfacts
    You sound like a hillbilly!

Clearly you are a pawn of the saliva-industrial complex.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Aluminum bats are still used in college and high school. But there has been a push to ban them there for safety reasons.

Government overreach at every turn. 🥴

Bats are the only mammals with articulating wings. ("Flying" squirrels and the like simply have a membrane that acts as a parchute0.

Pretty sure that's kinda true.

I, for one, am abjectly terrified of bats. I think they are super cool OUTSIDE, eating up all the bugs they care to but when they slip inside our boondocks house, I freak the freak out. Just completely unnerved when that happens. I think I've even mentioned that here before.

And let's hold any "belfry" references. I'm watching...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I, for one, am abjectly terrified of bats. I think they are super cool OUTSIDE, eating up all the bugs they care to but when they slip inside our boondocks house, I freak the freak out. Just completely unnerved when that happens. I think I've even mentioned that here before.

I only ever had a bat indoors once, back in my Vermont days. It was a very confusing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

This won’t help unless you are looking for additional reasons to justify your abject terror.

A friend and I were roomates on Central Campus during summer session, and were in the same biology class and lab.

The TAs running the lab offered everyone a petri dish and indicated whoever brought back what grew the most interesting result would get extra credit.

We came back to our Central Campus apartment to what was at the time a live bat in the bathroom.

After the bat was taken care of, my roommate swabbed the bat and his petri dish was the winner.

Moral of the story is bats are simultaneously interesting animals and fundamentally gross.

^^^quietly trying to suppress barfing noises.

Thanks fuse-master.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Anyone have any tips on getting bats out of a house? I recently bought a mountain cabin and unfortunately the bats conveyed along with a bunch of outdated furniture and leaking windows. We whacked a few, but I think a few more may be hiding high up on the beams.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Anyone have any tips on getting bats out of a house? I recently bought a mountain cabin and unfortunately the bats conveyed along with a bunch of outdated furniture and leaking windows. We whacked a few, but I think a few more may be hiding high up on the beams.
    This is quite the "first post in thread". (At least I think it's your first post. I could be wrong. If so, apologies.) Also - I got nothing. No idea how to get rid of bats.

I held a sheet against a wall and waited for it to land. Then wrapped him/her up and moved outside.

Then again, I was hoping to get the bat outside without any harm to said bat.

I have no hard feeling towards bats. Once I had a swimming pool, and if I went out at dusk, you could have bats fly right past you, skimming bugs out of the water. Then don't ick me.

I suppose having a bat in your house isn't that different than having a bird in your house, except that it's likely at night.

Animals I have had in my house: opossum, snake, chipmunk, birds, mice, rabbits...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    This is quite the "first post in thread". (At least I think it's your first post. I could be wrong. If so, apologies.)
    Yes, first post. Click on the number of replies and you can see who has posted in the thread and how many times. I avoid doing this as it only brings shame upon the family. (No, not really...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I held a sheet against a wall and waited for it to land. Then wrapped him/her up and moved outside.

Then again, I was hoping to get the bat outside without any harm to said bat.

I have no hard feeling towards bats. Once I had a swimming pool, and if I went out at dusk, you could have bats fly right past you, skimming bugs out of the water. Then don't ick me.

I suppose having a bat in your house isn't that different than having a bird in your house, except that it's likely at night.

Animals I have had in my house: opossum, snake, chipmunk, birds, mice, rabbits...
    Similarly not creeped out by bats. I do have issues with unfamiliar creatures in my personal space. Doesn't really matter what kind. Until I can identify what they are and what danger they may or may not pose. So, I wouldn't react kindly towards something flying at my head, but that reaction is irrespective of species.

Headed to the coast after work to meet my niece

Go get em!

Awesome! Give her an extra snuggle from Auntie BD. ;-)

Hope VA_BDevil gives up bat updates.

Same bat time, same bat channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    This is quite the "first post in thread". (At least I think it's your first post. I could be wrong. If so, apologies.) Also - I got nothing. No idea how to get rid of bats.

Yeah, I tend to not be an early adopter. As Elvis once sang - Only fools rush in. But after 23,000+ posts on this thread, I now feel safe dipping a toe in. Plus, I was waiting on a good bat discussion.

Yeah, I tend to not be an early adopter. As Elvis once sang - Only fools rush in. But after 23,000+ posts on this thread, I now feel safe dipping a toe in. Plus, I was waiting on a good bat discussion.
    What -- Pop Tarts not good enough for you? ;-)