Page 1158 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 1586581058110811481156115711581159116011681208125816582158 ... LastLast
Results 23,141 to 23,160 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Started smoking two pork butts at 4 am this morning, for no other reason than it is gonna be a glorious weekend. And, I really wanted to try. Few new techniques/tweaks.

Such pretty, pretty puffs of white smoke as I await the dawn.
    Approximately how many hours will they spend on the grill?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Approximately how many hours will they spend on the grill?
    Will let you know. An hour to an hour and a half per pound, depending on the butt. These are about 8.5 pounds per, and smoking two adds some time on my BGE.

Will let you know. Started the fire at 4, put them on a little before 5. Aiming for 270 temp but mainly hanging around 260-265 it seems. So guessing that I will wrap them around 1 or 2 and pull them around 3 - 5 if they have hit temp.

After several years of just doing brisket and ribs, first butts I have smoked in a long time. Not sure what gave me the itch.

Sun is coming up, chillier now than the last few hours of darkness oddly enough. A nip in the air in mid-June is rare.

butts...itch.^

Sun is coming up, chillier now than the last few hours of darkness oddly enough. A nip in the air in mid-June is rare.
    ^Insert juvenile comment along with Beavis/Butthead chuckle

The coldest part of the day being right after sunrise is due to radiated heat having dropped to lows and incoming new sun radiation being less than what has escaped. Better explantion here: https://indianapublicmedia.org/amome...me-of-the-day/

I liked the mid-west and New England summers where you would get a couple cooler days to break up the monotony of the heat. Here in San Antonio, the oven finally went on Wednesday. We'll be in mid 90s to low 100s through some time in September. Unless there is a hurricane that cools us off a bit.

^Insert juvenile comment along with Beavis/Butthead chuckle

The coldest part of the day being right after sunrise is due to radiated heat having dropped to lows and incoming new sun radiation being less than what has escaped. Better explantion here: https://indianapublicmedia.org/amome...me-of-the-day/

I liked the mid-west and New England summers where you would get a couple cooler days to break up the monotony of the heat. Here in San Antonio, the oven finally went on Wednesday. We'll be in mid 90s to low 100s through some time in September. Unless there is a hurricane that cools us off a bit.
    Georgia ain’t far behind then.

Finally bit the bullet and signed up for the MasterClass thing on Facebook a month ago. Can Trenton watching the one by Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue (in Austin IIRC.). Tryouts no out a few theories he discussed.

Usually do this for a party, but did not tell anyone. So I will have about 9-10 pounds of bbq to seat and freeze for later.

Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue (in Austin IIRC.).

...but did not tell anyone. So I will have about 9-10 pounds of bbq to seat and freeze for later.
    Yes, but haven't been yet. There and a Spurs game are the two things on my list that I need to cross off. Oh, and a tour of the bats under the bridge in Austin.

Meat sweats => food coma

Yes, but haven't been yet. There and a Spurs game are the two things on my list that I need to cross off. Oh, and a tour of the bats under the bridge in Austin.

Meat sweats => food coma
    Remember the Alamo.

Meat sweats => food coma
    Spurs game is on my list, too.

Oh, and a tour of the bats under the bridge in Austin.
    I wasn’t all that impressed with the bats. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71, esq View Post
    I wasn’t all that impressed with the bats. YMMV.
    Lol, perhaps, but it isn't a very long list so I felt I had to come up with something.

Life skill unlocked: making old-fashions.

Okay, I should say that to be fancy I have mastered the deconstructed old-fashioned, which costs twice as much at your fancier places:

1. Open a sugar packet, pour it in your mouth,
    2. Splash some water in there and swish/gargle vigorously.
    3. Take a nip of something bitter. (If you are doing an existential Old-fashioned, just think of something bitter). (If you are doing an organic old-fashioned, eat some kale).
    4. Swallow, then take a big glug of bourbon. Follow with a chaser of bourbon.
    5. Suck on an ice cube, then an gnaw on an orange peel.

(And on a serious note in regards to an inquiry, yes I make my own simple syrup although I am known to muddle some sugar and water with a spoon before adding the bitters. And thank you for the positive comment inquiring about same).

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I have been off producing and rehearsing Shakespeare for the last couple of months. I still stop by but you know, busy! We opened Friday and have 3 more performances next weekend.

Anyway, tale of woe, we had a rain out today so I'm hanging around this afternoon. That's not the actual tale of woe. We are performing in a park in Medford, Mass. After many months of scouting, we found a park in late summer 2017 in a residential neighborhood in Medford. We found it to be perfect BECAUSE it was in a residential neighborhood, didn't have sports fields, had lots of trees that could provide shade for an audience on a very sunny day, and as an added attractive feature, had a stone tower left over from a time when people actually built follies on public land (a fairly common thing in the Boston area in the late 19th century.) We applied for permits from the Medford Parks Commission and for a small grant from the Medford Arts Council in order to perform A Midsummer Night's Dream last August. We got both. Three of our six performances were rained out but the ones we did manage to pull off were well attended and for the very last performance, the weather was absolutely perfect. The chairman of the Medford Arts Council came to one performance and asked if we were planning to come back. I told him probably not but he said they were so excited when a theater group just showed up wanting to do Shakespeare in a park that rarely gets used that he hoped I would reconsider. He then said that if we did decide to come back, we should ask for more money. Well, that went into the plus column. In the meantime, one of my cast members piped up saying she would want to direct if we did it again. I responded to the hints the universe was giving me by saying yes.

This year we are performing Much Ado About Nothing and alas, this summer, what we thought was one neighbor being a bit territorial has ballooned into several. They are doing everything in their power to make us feel unwelcome up to and including small amounts of sabotage and calling the police on us. When the police came, the officer gave us his direct line and told us to call him if the neighbors give us anymore trouble. He reassured us that yes, we have every right to be there and he will back us up if necessary. (There are also several adjacent residents who think what we are doing is fantastic.) Alas, the boo birds are winning and there is no way in wankerville I will ever produce outdoor theater in Medford Massachusetts again. We have one more weekend to get through and then I am out of there forever. (Townies, on some level I can convince myself that I can understand their point of view, but basically I think they are the worst. They are like kids who won't try anything green just because it's green. Imagine still being like that as an adult.)

On the plus side, it is a really fun production and I invite all my Massachusetts friends to come see us. So far, the weather reports for next weekend look good. Much Ado as a 30s style screwball comedy? Works. (I'm playing Don Pedro.)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 06-16-2019 at 02:24 PM.

^^^ Break a leg!

No, not your neighbor’s. ;-)

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    ^^^ Break a leg!

No, not your neighbor’s. ;-)
    Too late! jk (not to be confused with -jk)

Neighbors...why we can't have nice things.

Hate to do this again, but I will take any and all good mojo you happen to have lying around. Thanks in advance.

Sending whatever mojo I have!

take care,

-jk

I did try to find the brief Ymmm, Coffee thread first.

Was fortunate enough to be gifted a Moccamaster One Cup coffee maker.

If you like good coffee, this brews one very enjoyable cup.

Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Hate to do this again, but I will take any and all good mojo you happen to have lying around. Thanks in advance.
    Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo Mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    good mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I did try to find the brief Ymmm, Coffee thread first.

Was fortunate enough to be gifted a Moccamaster One Cup coffee maker.

If you like good coffee, this brews one very enjoyable cup.

Highly recommended.
    good cup o'joe.