Page 1982 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 98214821882193219721980198119821983198419922032208224822982 ... LastLast
Results 39,621 to 39,640 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    When she starts asking questions, time to run.
    Her questions are getting oddly specific. Statute of limitations; differences between manslaughter and felony murder; whether hauling a body across state lines for disposal changes the venue of your trial; etc.

My wife works an exceedingly high stress job and she works 50 to 60 hour weeks in upper level hospital administration. She feels every bit of that stress and every one of those hours. When she gets home she wants to watch police procedural dramas because they are formulaic and uncomplicated. I think maybe my job is high stress, I just don't perceive it to be that way. And every 10 days or so I get to travel with an expense account and eat by myself in a new restaurant after talking to doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists. I'm one of those people who gets to travel for work and doesn't have to travel for work. I hate the TV shows that she watches but I recognize why she wants to watch them and why I should keep my damn mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    My wife works an exceedingly high stress job and she works 50 to 60 hour weeks in upper level hospital administration. She feels every bit of that stress and every one of those hours. When she gets home she wants to watch police procedural dramas because they are formulaic and uncomplicated. I think maybe my job is high stress, I just don't perceive it to be that way. And every 10 days or so I get to travel with an expense account and eat by myself in a new restaurant after talking to doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists. I'm one of those people who gets to travel for work and doesn't have to travel for work. I hate the TV shows that she watches but I recognize why she wants to watch them and why I should keep my damn mouth shut.
    Sounds like you know what’s good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    They are Stan Smiths! There’s a whole new limited edition “Being Green” line made with sustainable materials, some of them green character-themed...there are also Rex (Toy Story), Mike Wazowski (Monsters, Inc.), and Incredible Hulk ones. But only one of them says this on the other heel, which I think is pretty fab.
    Attachment 13053
    Loved my S. Smiths! They are way cool, and an acceptable splurge!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sounds like you know what’s good for you?
    I don't have to be told twice.

kermit-stan-smith-adidas-sustainable-2021.jpg

Stan Smith used to be the co-chair of the Duke Children's Classic, back when they had a tennis part. Probably got his autograph several times when I was little. He did mini clinics and kids would bring their racquets to the courts for a chance to hit with him.

20210427_070626.jpg

So to recap: "Coban" isn't an element. I would have actually been more ok if they just wrote in "Colorado". At least that would have been an approved abbreviation. They also misspelled "Fluorine" here. And they are missing an "E", but that's ok because there is no "E" element, so I can overlook this. I am fairly certain no science majors work at this Starbucks on campus at the University of Florida and UF MIGHT be a safety school. And they got Iron right! We can build on this!

CEO townhall to discuss sale of company to PE.

CEO townhall to discuss sale of company to PE.
    Physical Education? Pulmonary Embolus?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    is there anything tawdrier, or more predictable, than Dateline? Thirty minutes of stuff expanded into 120 minutes of repetitious fluff...the victim always had a great marriage, but lo and behold, the spouse is generally the killer, and is stupid.
    Yeah. It’s pretty much always the husband or father.

Random violent crimes are scary and obviously do happen but if a wife is missing, it’s almost always the beau.

Seriously, who was Gone Girl’s target audience, then? Was it fantasy catering to husbands considering murder?
    The fact that it is usually a family member/someone known to the deceased came in handy a number of years ago. One of our elderly church members lived a few doors down from someone that was murdered. This, of course, made her very nervous. On our drive to choir that evening, I reassured her that it wasn't a random person that committed the crime but someone known to the deceased. I think I made her feel better and, of course, a week or two later it was determined that it was someone who knew the deceased. Can't remember the connection.

I knew that I might be totally making things up so she would feel more comfortable in her home but was 95% sure I was correct. I do miss Vernie - she was a wonderful, but sometimes annoying, person.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Physical Education? Pulmonary Embolus?
    Professional engineers.

Nah, private equity. Company was public, now it’s going to be private.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The fact that it is usually a family member/someone known to the deceased came in handy a number of years ago. One of our elderly church members lived a few doors down from someone that was murdered. This, of course, made her very nervous. On our drive to choir that evening, I reassured her that it wasn't a random person that committed the crime but someone known to the deceased. I think I made her feel better and, of course, a week or two later it was determined that it was someone who knew the deceased. Can't remember the connection.

I knew that I might be totally making things up so she would feel more comfortable in her home but was 95% sure I was correct. I do miss Vernie - she was a wonderful, but sometimes annoying, person.
    Ha, two of the typical Dateline warning signs are 1) he was a deacon in the church, and 2) they had a PERFECT marriage.

...Seriously, who was Gone Girl’s target audience, then?...
    My wife and I used to frequent (weekly almost, pre-kid) Asheville Pizza and Brewing, where they do late run movies for $3 and you can enjoy your pizza and suds (should I cross-post this?) while you watch. I took her to see Gone Girl, thinking I had done a great "husband" thing because I assumed it was a RomCom. I assumed that because one of her friends had loaned her the book, which I had seen on her book shelf - my wife didn't know anything about the plot either.

Wow.

That's some movie to see TOTALLY unaware of the plot. I think our mouths were agape the entire time. We still laugh about it!

Professional engineers.

Nah, private equity. Company was public, now it’s going to be private.
    The first step down the road to being gutted.

Condolences

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

Condolences

-jk
    at least if it's Carlyle Group you might get a nice Duke sticker for your troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    My wife and I used to frequent (weekly almost, pre-kid) Asheville Pizza and Brewing, where they do late run movies for $3 and you can enjoy your pizza and suds (should I cross-post this?) while you watch. I took her to see Gone Girl, thinking I had done a great "husband" thing because I assumed it was a RomCom. I assumed that because one of her friends had loaned her the book, which I had seen on her book shelf - my wife didn't know anything about the plot either.

Wow.

That's some movie to see TOTALLY unaware of the plot. I think our mouths were agape the entire time. We still laugh about it!
    Luckily, she didn't read the book. You were off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

Condolences

-jk
    Professional engineers generally only gut stuff to build back better.

Private equity on the other hand...

Well, we’ll see. I misspoke; not actually private equity, an investment arm of a private company that says they take long-term positions in public equities. They’ve been holding certain of their portfolio companies for decades.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

Wow.

I read the book - I saw every plot twist coming a mile away. And I mean every, single, one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I saw every plot twist coming a mile away.
    Where were you sitting? A drive-in?