Page 340 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 2402903303383393403413423503904408401340 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,800 of 67395
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I had a weird experience tonight... It was my workplace's holiday party - sit-down dinner at a local country club. Mr. DA & I sat down at a table with a friend of mine, who works on another team. We are joined by said friend's other teammates, all of whom I barely know.

My husband looks at one of them, says hi, she says hi back, then goes off to talk to other people.

He turns to me, and says, "that is my first wife."

Now, I know he was married before - not a deal at all. I'm not the jealous type. I've not worked with the woman before, only know her tangentially - didn't really have any opinions of her.

He didn't know she worked for our company; I'm sure she didn't expect to see her ex sitting across the table. Both of them handled it well. Mainly, I felt bad for putting him in such an awkward situation. But... damn. It was just weird. I just don't quite know what to think.

Holy cow. I think we need a whole thread on this topic: How do you handle an unexpected encounter with your significant other's ex?

On a related topic, how do you handle an unexpected encounter with your ex's significant other?

And how do the exes react when they see each other?

DA, did they have any kids together?

I had a weird experience tonight... It was my workplace's holiday party - sit-down dinner at a local country club. Mr. DA & I sat down at a table with a friend of mine, who works on another team. We are joined by said friend's other teammates, all of whom I barely know.

My husband looks at one of them, says hi, she says hi back, then goes off to talk to other people.

Now, I know he was married before - not a deal at all. I'm not the jealous type. I've not worked with the woman before, only know her tangentially - didn't really have any opinions of her.

He didn't know she worked for our company; I'm sure she didn't expect to see her ex sitting across the table. Both of them handled it well. Mainly, I felt bad for putting him in such an awkward situation. But... damn. It was just weird. I just don't quite know what to think.
    Wow! I mean...wow! Not sure what I would have done in either position. Wow! Impressive that she was gracious enough to go talk to other people.

That is a Wow! experience. It's like 6 degrees from bacon. Sounds like you handled it very nicely. You didn't bop her over the head or anything like that.

There's some kind of order in all this chaos. Destiny, the will of God, or a cosmic force, take your pick.

At the risk of getting too personal, did the encounter prompt a later discussion with your spouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Wrong. Try a case of Genny Cream.
    I think it would probably only take 1 bottle-or less.

Truly weird. Sounds like both of you handled it well-casually and with no later repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ha! Have you ever pulled tobacco? They do that in August.
    Haven't done that. Hogs were enough to convince me that my life's work would not involve carcasses, feeding, copious amounts of excrement, or intense NC heat.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannng DA. Now that's a story. I don't think you should feel bad. How could you have possibly known?

Do you think there's now potential for awkwardness at work? You said that she's on another team right? Sounds like you all handled it well though.

But hey, like I told bjornolf in the thread spinoff from this post, I have pliers and a blowtorch. I also have friends up in your area, could be a good excuse for a road trip. Just sayin'

Okay, a night's sleep and I'm feeling better about it all - nothing substantial changes between me & Mr. DA, nor between me & this woman. They split up about 10 years ago (they got married as kids, basically) and, as I think of it, they just had a "starter" marriage - no kids, no property.

No further discussions here last night about it, tho I will bring it up eventually. I'll give him some time to bring it up first.

Thanks all, for confirming it was not a normal situation...

Ah yes... Workplace holiday party season is on us like a bad rash yet again. We're doing a low-key in-office mid-afternoon / happy hour kind of event. The bosses decided it would be bad form to have a big Saturday night blowout (I'm told that has been the practice in very good years).

Me and Mrs Turk will generally both go to work events where the whole brood is welcome. As for the adults-only parties, that's kinda case-by-case; sometimes we don't even want to go ourselves (for whatever reason), so why inflict a work event on a spouse who would rather skip it?

If given a chance, do you opt out of your spouse / SO's holiday events?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Ah yes... Workplace holiday party season is on us like a bad rash yet again. We're doing a low-key in-office mid-afternoon / happy hour kind of event. The bosses decided it would be bad form to have a big Saturday night blowout (I'm told that has been the practice in very good years).

Me and Mrs Turk will generally both go to work events where the whole brood is welcome. As for the adults-only parties, that's kinda case-by-case; sometimes we don't even want to go ourselves (for whatever reason), so why inflict a work event on a spouse who would rather skip it?

The other night, did the Young Turks get to stay up late for the Duke game or for the Chrstmas special?

I would opt-in. I figure holiday events have the potential to be: Fun, Horrible, So-So. I definitely wouldn't want to miss out on the fun. And if it's so-so to horrible, I'd like to be there for moral support and some tomfoolery.

I planned my department's holiday party. My SO opted out of going with me as he knew my attention would be elsewhere. Plus, I'm going to be there early and leave after everyone else has left and he doesn't want to stay that long.

FWIW, he will be missing out on a great spread!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The other night, did the Young Turks get to stay up late for the Duke game or for the Chrstmas special?
    They wanted Polar Express, so after that ended, we sent em to bed and I caught up with the Devils with about 3 or 4 mins left in the first half.

Talk about letting the inmates run the asylum!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I would opt-in. I figure holiday events have the potential to be: Fun, Horrible, So-So. I definitely wouldn't want to miss out on the fun. And if it's so-so to horrible, I'd like to be there for moral support and some tomfoolery.
    Good philosophy - I wish I was a better tomfoolery-instigator. That would be a good talent to have. And there is the luck factor - if you happen to bump into a hoophead there is a good possibility for conversation. I tend to be too cautious - sticking to vanilla conversation to avoid any PPB-like flareups.

Good philosophy - I wish I was a better tomfoolery-instigator. That would be a good talent to have. And there is the luck factor - if you happen to bump into a hoophead there is a good possibility for conversation. I tend to be too cautious - sticking to vanilla conversation to avoid any PPB-like flareups.
    Oh come on Turk, where is your sense of adventure? Do a couple of beer bongs, toss back a few shots, stand up on the table and let everyone know that you'll be at the bar waiting to talk about fractional reserve and it's impact on our current financial crisis and why that's the real reason...

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of low-key, top secret tomfoolery. I can't go for more than an hour without laughing or my brain starts to shut down. I'm also kind of shy (which is weird if you've met me) and distrustful of strangers so I have a ton of fun snickering and cutting up with my significant other (when I have one that is).

16. Go Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Go Cowboys!
    Are we playing "Old West"? If so, Go Native Americans!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Go Cowboys!
    Not.

Wait, I take that back. Go Cowboys: go back to Dallas with a big fat "L" after getting smacked around on the patented peanut-butter and ketchup soup that passes for turf at Heinz Field.

ESPN's "experts" prefer the Steelers 8 to 2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...s--Dallas.html

Not.

Wait, I take that back. Go Cowboys: go back to Dallas with a big fat "L" after getting smacked around on the patented peanut-butter and ketchup soup that passes for turf at Heinz Field.

ESPN's "experts" prefer the Steelers 8 to 2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/features/talent

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...s--Dallas.html
    If it is Cowboys vs. Steelers - definitely - GO STEELERS!

Today I am revisiting Pandora and listening to my Frank Sinatra-inspired station that I created. I like this station.