Page 1870 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 87013701770182018601868186918701871187218801920197023702870 ... LastLast
Results 37,381 to 37,400 of 67371
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'm allergic to swinging consistently and the admittedly stereotypical golf culture. My parents live on a golf course in SC and I've met the people that live there. They are not my people. I do like when they do the best ball derby and everyone gets drunk by 9 AM, puts on big hats, and swerves around on their golf carts chasing the best ball. By the time there are only 2 players left all these retirees are completely sloshed and hooping and hollering so much that my stepdad, who flew B52s while bombs burst in the air around him, said it was the most nervous he's ever been. In perhaps one of the most odd traditions, the assembled revelers then brings out Deep Sea Barb, a leviathan of a mermaid, for the ceremonial victor's motor-boating.
    Which one? My in-laws had a second home on Spring Island, then retired to live there full time, then sold it a couple of years ago to move back to their hometown of Springfield, MO. The Spring Island golf course is fantastically beautiful but I don't remember anything like this best ball tournament going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Which one? My in-laws had a second home on Spring Island, then retired to live there full time, then sold it a couple of years ago to move back to their hometown of Springfield, MO. The Spring Island golf course is fantastically beautiful but I don't remember anything like this best ball tournament going on there.
    They're in Pawleys Island between Myrtle and Charleston. They get down to Hilton, Edisto, and Spring a bit. We've been to Fripp once. I dunno, maybe it's a little micro-culture on their course!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Insert rimshot here...

Attachment 12779

I love Fozzie Bear!

Anyone have Alexa or Google Home enabled light bulbs?

Pros/cons?

I recently got a couple plugs and was debating options. I also just replaced a light bulb, first time in 4-5 years for this particular bulb. I have quite the inventory of CFLs and LEDs.

I have some home automation, but not Google or Amazon connected. A few lights and my thermostats are automated.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I have some home automation, but not Google or Amazon connected. A few lights and my thermostats are automated.

-jk

I've been reluctant to go with more advanced thermostats. I've got schedules programmed with my current ones and have stuck to those for the last 5-6 years. I guess it is sort of like the manual timers I just replaced with the smart plugs, those have been working fine for years but I've had a rash of failures in the last year, so the more advanced automation is merely replacing current functionality on one level.

I've been reluctant to go with more advanced thermostats. I've got schedules programmed with my current ones and have stuck to those for the last 5-6 years. I guess it is sort of like the manual timers I just replaced with the smart plugs, those have been working fine for years but I've had a rash of failures in the last year, so the more advanced automation is merely replacing current functionality on one level.
    My thermostats spend most of their time in an ordinary pre-programmed mode. What I have set up through the automation is a program that turns the fan on if the heat or ac hasn't been on in a while to mix up the air. Our basement and first floor are on the same zone, and without mixing the basement can get a lot cooler, and uncomfortably so. It's an issue in the spring and fall.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere;1352434[B
    ]I've been reluctant to go [/B]with more advanced thermostats. I've got schedules programmed with my current ones and have stuck to those for the last 5-6 years. I guess it is sort of like the manual timers I just replaced with the smart plugs, those have been working fine for years but I've had a rash of failures in the last year, so the more advanced automation is merely replacing current functionality on one level.
    I've been reluctant to go with an Alexa or any smart-style tech in my home over fears of the Terminator scenario.

My thermostats spend most of their time in an ordinary pre-programmed mode. What I have set up through the automation is a program that turns the fan on if the heat or ac hasn't been on in a while to mix up the air. Our basement and first floor are on the same zone, and without mixing the basement can get a lot cooler, and uncomfortably so. It's an issue in the spring and fall.

-jk
    Did you install these programmable thermostats yourself(ves)? I can install ceiling fans, re-wire a lamp or light fixture and replace a light switch. I am trying to decide if I'm too stupid to be able to change my thermostats though. It is definitely in play.

I've been reluctant to go with an Alexa or any smart-style tech in my home over fears of the Terminator scenario.
    There's an EXCELLENT late X-Files episode you should watch.

Preview https://youtu.be/hhmv8ZKR6ek

The reason we don't have Alexa or smart-tech is out of concern for the tech. My fear is my bucolic existence will bore them and I fear for the psychosocial well being of the tech. Could I take it outside so it could at least see my contentious interactions with neighbors? Maybe that would hold Hal's interest.

car wash, after which I'll rediscover the color of my wife's car.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    How ironic would it be if you were to discover her car is clear?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    How ironic would it be if you were to discover her car is clear?
    uh oh, how will I find it?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Keeping with the theme of the prior few posts? Manual wash or one of those machines?

-jk
    I enjoy the relative coolness of a basement in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Did you install these programmable thermostats yourself(ves)? I can install ceiling fans, re-wire a lamp or light fixture and replace a light switch. I am trying to decide if I'm too stupid to be able to change my thermostats though. It is definitely in play.
    I did.

I believe mine required the 'C' wire to be hooked up - it carries power from the air handler to the thermostat. I had my HVAC tech hook it up when he did regular fall service one year, and then it was pretty simple for me to do the rest after he left.

I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat, and I love it. I pretty much use it like a normal programmable thermostat, but when we travel (or when we [I]used/I] to travel) it was great to start adjusting the heat/air so the house was back to temperature when we arrived home. It's the little things, you know?

To a certain level, I have also. The "smart plugs" I bought are nothing more than glorified Clappers.* (I have one of those in its box in my closet. "White elephant" gift from a few years back.) I contrast this functionality with say a Nest thermostat which bills itself as having an algorithm which optimizes comfort and energy use. The "smart plugs" are programmable within Alexa as to their turn off and turn on times. You can use a schedule based on sunrise/sunset or definitive times or both. That first part is the smartest thing going on, using my lat/long with a calendar of daylight savings and sunrise/sunset times. I do this manually already and make small adjustments as we go through the year.

*I've probably made the machines mad with that statement.

They're in Pawleys Island between Myrtle and Charleston. They get down to Hilton, Edisto, and Spring a bit. We've been to Fripp once. I dunno, maybe it's a little micro-culture on their course!
    My grandparents lived in Pawleys for almost 25 years. I did a lot of growing up there.

Insert rimshot here...

Attachment 12779
    I can't believe Wilson hasn't given you props for this, yet.