Page 1921 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 92114211821187119111919192019211922192319311971202124212921 ... LastLast
Results 38,401 to 38,420 of 67405
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of fun co-workers!
    We are not friends. Which is inconsequential to me. I have friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Ha! I am in this camp. My coworkers are going to emote. Like gnashing of teeth, rending of raiments, blood flowing from eyeballs level stuff.
    Kind of like the scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? But probably more believable. Didn't Spielberg direct that? I guess 1981 was before major advances in special effects.

I made a statement in that thread that I fact-checked myself on. Listen to the Revisionist History podcast about the brake vs. accelerator issue. Years ago there was a famous case settled by a vehicle manufacturer where they paid millions in damages, in what was perceived to be the accelerator getting stuck because of the floor mats. And it turns out there is compelling evidence that in either all or almost all of those cases the accelerator may have been stuck, but that the operator never pressed the break. And when you think about brakes, they are over powered in comparison to the accelerator. The brakes always win. There is a reason there is a brake pedal on the passenger side in a driver's ed car. The brakes will always win. This gets into how people respond in a crisis and that is something I ignored in my own post on that thread and I had to backpedal.
    without getting into the particulars of that whole episode, I do note that to this day that when my Toyota manufactured car goes in for service at the Toyota dealer, they make a major production of assessing the floor mat around the accelerator...it strikes me as a bit of theater.

This one is for ClemmonsDevil:

I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get pissed off at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey pastrami, turkey bologna. Someone needs to tell the turkey "Man, just be yourself. I already like you, little brother. You do not need to emulate the other animals. You got your own thing goin'. I used to draw you." (Stares at hand.) Man, if you were missing a couple of fingers, you would draw one messed-up turkey. You'd be like, "That turkey's been in an accident." --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    This one is for ClemmonsDevil:

I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get pissed off at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey pastrami, turkey bologna. Someone needs to tell the turkey "Man, just be yourself. I already like you, little brother. You do not need to emulate the other animals. You got your own thing goin'. I used to draw you." (Stares at hand.) Man, if you were missing a couple of fingers, you would draw one messed-up turkey. You'd be like, "That turkey's been in an accident." --Mitch Hedberg
    Absolute genius.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... a bit of theater.
    What is life if not?

When I first heard Diane Rehm on the radio I thought there would be no way I could listen to her. And after about three episodes I realized that her speech disorder offered her such an unbelievable advantage because her guests had to pay attention to everything she said and her pacing made it so that it was impossible to interrupt her. She is the best interviewer I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    without getting into the particulars of that whole episode, I do note that to this day that when my Toyota manufactured car goes in for service at the Toyota dealer, they make a major production of assessing the floor mat around the accelerator...it strikes me as a bit of theater.
    I remember laughing with the guy checking me in when I took my Camry in due to the recall. I didn't think it was the floor mats at the time and never figured out why the driver's didn't put the car in neutral, slam on the brakes, or even try pulling the emergency brake. Note: I've never tried the last one and hope to never have to - not sure what the results would be. The movies make it seem like it makes you do a 180 but not planning on ever testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I remember laughing with the guy checking me in when I took my Camry in due to the recall. I didn't think it was the floor mats at the time and never figured out why the driver's didn't put the car in neutral, slam on the brakes, or even try pulling the emergency brake. Note: I've never tried the last one and hope to never have to - not sure what the results would be. The movies make it seem like it makes you do a 180 but not planning on ever testing it.
    I think this is the correct reading of the situation. People are incredibly bad decision makers in an emergency. Working in medicine I have watched people make catastrophic mistakes just because things occurred outside of the norm and they didn't know what to do to respond. I'm getting ready to do a lecture in an hour and a half for a group of Physicians and I am going to have to find a very nice way up saying that the mistakes they are making are errors of both omission and commission that are fixable and have rational explanations and that many of their problems stem from an inability to recognize when they are going down the wrong path. And I give this talk 80 times a year. And that number is getting ready to go up and it will be given to a larger audience starting in a couple of weeks. But the message is pretty much always the same. People are bad at making decisions in an emergency and they are blinded by the wrong variables when the decisions they do make go awry.

I often lose track of my cursor. Furious movements of the trackball follow. Grace under pressure it certainly isn't.

*This is all exacerbated by having two monitors, one 28" and one 23".

When I first heard Diane Rehm on the radio I thought there would be no way I could listen to her. And after about three episodes I realized that her speech disorder offered her such an unbelievable advantage because her guests had to pay attention to everything she said and her pacing made it so that it was impossible to interrupt her. She is the best interviewer I have ever heard.
    She’s podcasting twice a week still.

-jk

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I think this is the correct reading of the situation. People are incredibly bad decision makers in an emergency. Working in medicine I have watched people make catastrophic mistakes just because things occurred outside of the norm and they didn't know what to do to respond. I'm getting ready to do a lecture in an hour and a half for a group of Physicians and I am going to have to find a very nice way up saying that the mistakes they are making are errors of both omission and commission that are fixable and have rational explanations and that many of their problems stem from an inability to recognize when they are going down the wrong path. And I give this talk 80 times a year. And that number is getting ready to go up and it will be given to a larger audience starting in a couple of weeks. But the message is pretty much always the same. People are bad at making decisions in an emergency and they are blinded by the wrong variables when the decisions they do make go awry.
    Do you know anybody who is good in an emergency? (I do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Do you know anybody who is good in an emergency? (I do.)
    I know lots of people who are good in emergencies. I actually know more than a handful who are only good in emergencies. They are awful to deal with unless all hell is breaking loose and then they are in their comfort zone and become wonderful people.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    She’s podcasting twice a week still.

-jk
    Who isn’t?

Heading out to celebrate my last grandparent’s 90th birthday. Fortunate to be able to do it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Heading out to celebrate my last grandparent’s 90th birthday. Fortunate to be able to do it in person.
    Happy birthday!

We are not friends. Which is inconsequential to me. I have friends.
    Wow, harsh! OPK was just trying to converse.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Who isn’t?
    Me??

Yes, the second question mark is to meet the board software's requirement of 4 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Wow, harsh! OPK was just trying to converse.
    Hahaha! If anyone on here is having this said to them it's going to be me. And you have all thought it at least once.

Hopefully, not bad news. I just got this in one of my e-mail accounts:

Screenshot 2021-04-08 142712.jpg