Page 9 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 789101119591095091009 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    The guys in the robes were in something called the Trinity Club. Nobody knew anything about it except for the marching around the quad in robes. There were a lot of athletes in the group though, Tommy Emma was one, Jay Bilas too, I think.

BOG did indeed exist. They were originally a frat called Lambda Chi that got kicked off campus in the '70s (I think, this was before my time) and they regrouped as a men's selective dorm called BOG which stood for Bunch of Guys. By the time I was at Duke, they were NOT a fraternity and got pissy about anybody referring to them as such. Their claim to fame, reason for existence, what have you was to sit behind the visiting bench in Cameron and annoy the heck out of whoever was there. They were a creative group coming up with some of the all time great Cameron antics. They also caused the buffer zone to be formed behind the visiting bench. After I left, they went too far with an on campus party I believe and got themselves disbanded.

Who were the BOZOs? Beta Phi Zeta, campus sex scandel, fall '81.

I don't recall Beta Phi Zeta being there during my era. Knew many a BOGGer, but this may have been long after the peak of their frame. All I can recall is the logo FUBAR on their bench. Not sure if it predated the movie FUBAR.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I thought they were some sort of anachronism society or whatever. Crawford Palmer was one for a year or two. I don't think they were Skull and Bones at all...
    What is an anachronism society?

I remember hearing that there was a Duke secret society that had inlcuded several 'luminaries' (the only one I remember off the top of my head is Elizabeth Dole.) I had just assumed it was the same group. (Although I guess it is hard to picture her marching about west campus in a robe and sunglasses and shouting things at people.)

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I don't recall Beta Phi Zeta being there during my era. Knew many a BOGGer, but this may have been long after the peak of their frame. All I can recall is the logo FUBAR on their bench. Not sure if it predated the movie FUBAR.
    The BOZOs were disbanded because of said scandel in the spring of '82.

Well, I'm not going let that kill this thread.

Posh Spice's Boobs - real or fake?

Red face Minor backtrack

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Cambridge Inn, adjacent to the Great Hall. It now houses Chick-fil-A and Alpine Bagels (or at least it did as of about 2005).
    The Great Hall?

No, it's the Pits!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Well, I'm not going let that kill this thread.

Posh Spice's Boobs - real or fake?
    They're real and they're spectacular!

I miss Ben & Jerry's Festivus ice cream. Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dasz?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Ben & Jerrys!

What exactly was the thought process linking posh spice's spectacularness to ice cream? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Ben & Jerrys!

What exactly was the thought process linking posh spice's spectacularness to ice cream? Just curious...
    Two Seinfeld references. Unfortunately, the real or fake episode starred Terri Hatcher, not Posh Spice. But whenever I hear real or fake, I think Terri Hatcher in that episode.

It's a holiday for the rest of us!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 12-21-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Clarity

longest thread

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I only eat my own.... wow that sounds dirty.

On the Swedish Lutheran side of my family, we make glögg, a fortified mulled wine (somewhat like the German gluhwein). It's made with port wine, vodka or grain alcohol, raisins, prunes (ahem - dried plums), almonds, oranges, lemons, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom.

Anyway glögg rocks - it's awesome on Christmas eve when you come back from church (and frankly any other time). What we do though is after it cooks with all the fruits and spices, you strain it before you serve it. But save the fruits and spices! We use them to make a homemade - highly fortified - glögg-cake. It frickin rocks.

Oh and it also keeps you regular.
    hey, this belongs on the favorite holiday beverage thread

longest thread

just checking my post count

longest thread

also keeping the thread alive

longest thread

back to visiting with the relatives now

longest thread

going to a practice dance party in 15 minutes

longest thread

more posting later

longest thread

and tomorrow, too

longest thread

interesting feature to the board-must wait 30 seconds between posts

longest thread

mods must be exempt(can any one say Jason Evans!)

longest thread

I think I have reached my limit this evening

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    What is an anachronism society?

I remember hearing that there was a Duke secret society that had inlcuded several 'luminaries' (the only one I remember off the top of my head is Elizabeth Dole.) I had just assumed it was the same group. (Although I guess it is hard to picture her marching about west campus in a robe and sunglasses and shouting things at people.)
    I should have said the Society for Creative Anachronism. They revive old medieval traditions in demonstrations, etc. At least that is what I think they do. Sort of like battle recreations maybe?